Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wanderer

Grouse on Echo trail

28 posts in this topic

Well this may be the last weekend till ice fishing. It seems like the fishing will be decent, but how about the grouse?

I've heard there's some trails a guy can walk but I'm wondering if there's any public ground up the Echo trail. We've talked about driving it many times but have yet to do it. Are there some places a guy could pull off and put his dog to work?

If any advice givers are local, I could drop off a couple for ya if I get some!! grin.gif

Wanderer,

What's wrong with the Big Moose or Angleworm portages.

Plenty of walking distance, and shouldn't be much canoe traffic in those areas.

Grouse hunting up the trail was pretty good last weekend. A couple of friends from the cities came up, and if they can do well, grouse must be flying in through the car windows! grin.gif

The grouse are plentiful. I've been up the Echo six times in the last two weeks and have seen grouse just out on the road and trails each time, and most trips I see several birds. Not hunting for them, either.

Any public trail off the Echo will hold grouse. As Jim mentioned, the Angleworm and Big Moose trails are good. So is the Stuart Trail, and Agassa (opposite Angleworm) also holds birds. Depending on how far up you want to go, you can find a number of forest roads that take you off the Echo (more of them if you get 30 miles out of Ely) and there are walking/hunting trails sprouting off all those forest roads. Virtually all the land off any of these forest roads is public land, and I've found up the Echo that most all the land that shows up as private on the national forest map is marked with "no trespassing" signs.

If you want more specific help than that, shoot me an e-mail. My addy is always in my signature below.

Don't know if it helps, but for the area in general, I saw a lot of grouse on my property last week on the NW end of Vermilion. I just about had three heart attacks at the ripe old age of 31.

Thanks guys! cool.gif

Jim, whats wrong with those trails--well I'll tell ya! I didn't know they existed! I'm sitting here with my Superior National Forest map open to the Echo and have picked out the portages/trails you and Steve named.

I didn't consider hunting the portages. Seems kinda odd to me. About as odd as the Warden telling me I could hunt the Root River bike trail for turkeys-on my bike if I wanted! shocked.gif

Steve, thanks for the offer but by the looks of it I'll have plenty of ground to cover between the times I'll be feeding Jim's minnows to the walleyes! laugh.giflaugh.gif I'll pick your brain more after I learn this stuff.

Shall I spare some venison for everybody at the Bash??? I make a good backstrap on the grill.

Venison? YES! grin.gif

And after this weekend we'll expect smoked grouse, too. grin.gif

YO WANDERER!!!!!

What are you up to now? Giving up on the rod 'n reel for a shotgun? Well, that is how Jim gets his fish! He shoots them in the river between Shags and Burntside in April, freezes them, and takes one out every now and then for an Angler photo! grin.gif

Ahh, anyhoo...I am going to try and get out fishin' tomorrow after work, so I may have a report for you. How far are you willing to drive to go hunting? I know some good spots where you won't see anyone, but they are away from town. I also have beer! Give me a shout!

Justin

Well....Pretty tough to give up completely. Thats why this is my favorite time of year. I'll be fishin AND huntin cool.gif this weekend. Threeball sent me some pics of some nice eyes he and his dad (I think) took over the summer. Good motivation!

And yeah to the beer...you punked out on me last time! smirk.gif

The problem with this fall is the new job didn't come with standing vacation mad.gif. I did work the first Ripley bow season into it though. grin.gif We have our stands already set up Benson so we can double up after pheasant opens. Picked up my fall turkey tag for SE Minnesota too!

Look out boys! Here it comes!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Steve, do you guys cook and eat after 3pm at the Bash or do you fish right there at HQ while the meats on the spit?

Quote:

Steve, do you guys cook and eat after 3pm at the Bash or do you fish right there at HQ while the meats on the spit?

Yes! grin.gif

(we do both).

Man, this weather sure has been crazy! I was hoping to get out and fish tonight, but that isn't going to happen! Maybe tomorrow....Jim, what time do you open in the morning?

Steve, I have in my posession one really nice prize that I would like to donate to the Bash. I am planning on coming this year finally!

Tracy, With no vacation time, you are now entering my world! grin.gif I am finally off this weekend-first time since August 4th. Ahhh...but the days are growing short and the golfer's days are numbered! Pretty soon, I will be shelling out enough money at The Great Outdoors that Jim will be packing his bags for Hawaii!

Justin

Thanks, Justin. If you can hold on to it until closer to the Bash, I'll take it off your hands then. grin.gif

Yo, Justin,

This time of year, about 6:40-6:55am.

Be closing until iceup around the 2nd, maybe 3rd weekend in Oct.

OK there, Jim.

I am not sure if I am heading out in the morning or not. Thinking about sleeping in, but I will probably be up early. If I don't make it out right away, I will probably stop by in the morning for coffee.

Later,

Justin

What Bash?

I just moved back to Ely in july, been gone 10 years..

if you can give me more info on things.. you need anything donated? Do you need help?

Kallista, the Burntside Bash will be the sixth annual one this January. Last weekend in January all us lake trout nuts (and not a few laker rookies) gather from FM and other places in Ely to fish Burntside Lake. We've had more than 100 turn out for this annual event, depending largely on snow/slush conditions.

You'll definitely want to put it on your calendar. And, closer to the time of the bash, we'll start some threads that we'll sticky to the top of the board. Meanwhile, if you use the "search" feature here on the board and type Burntside Bash and specify this BWCAW-Duluth-Ely-Range board and tell it to go back at least a year, you'll find plenty of threads from last January's Bash. grin.gif

Quote:

...all us
lake trout nuts

That's putting it mildly.

Great, and thanks for the info, i will be looking forward to the Bash... is there any prizes or give aways? i can tie some flies or something and donate them?

Just got in some polar bear fur.. and jungle cock feathers.. cant wait to tie some

Yep, Kallista, lots of giveaways. Some years we've actually had an entry fee/tourney and big prizes, though the last two years it's been more of a simple gathering with many smaller prizes such as lures, maps, hats, rods and stuff like that. I suspect this year's Bash will be along those simpler lines again. Your flies would be a great addition, and I thank you for it.

Will get on that for sure..

Ok back to this topic and echo tail grouse hunting..I been hearing that all who's been going up have got many grouse over the last few days.. I am heading up that way Monday and Tuesday.

To the ones who already been up that way, were there alot of ticks? see any on your dogs? yourself? Just wondering cause i might take my pup out for some fun and maybe let him get a taste of some grouse feathers and to have a tromp in the woods..a pup needs to play too

I've been in the woods several days in the last two weeks, including up the Echo, and there was not a sign of a tick (wasn't wearing repellant, either).

Great...

Been up and around the trails by the ski hill.. I saw guys coming out with grouse in bags but with no guns.. weird.. took the ATV all around in there, i didn't see any grouse.. Had Hunter out there and he nor i got any ticks.. good news for us lol

Went down fernberg, saw alot on look out rd and snowbank.. was just out looking tho.. Thought about shooting but i didn't want to scare Hunter with the noise, hes 9 weeks old.. We have lots of time to get him used to the shotgun.. After a bit i just left it in the jeep and got some fun time in.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I must have been too confident and wanted grouse too bad! We got two and missed one. No unseen flushes either!

We went up the Echo as far as Big Moose. Hunted a variety of cover and walked some trails. Dumbfounded! It was like my first summer of fishing in the area. They gotta be there!

We went toward Isabella too and saw NOTHING! Well, a steaming pile of moose nuggets was kinda cool. grin.gif But when you rate that as a highlight of your hunting day, you're in trouble!!!

And as a last resort we idled down about 10 miles of logging roads looking the area over and scanning the brush South of the Tomahawk. We couldn't believe it. We barely hunted the same kind of cover twice; trying to switch it up until we found a pattern. Maybe the problem was actually having dogs??!!! Moving too fast??? I dunno...

We still had a good time anyway and I'll try it again.

P.S. I witnessed the Fishmaster catch two walleyes Sat. night. One 4 lbs and one 6! ...Or maybe a little less...

Oh, Kallista, I play some tug of war with my dog but she clearly understands the difference between a rag or rope and a pheasant. And she knows what her job is. Flush it, find it, and bring it to my hand.

Many others will tell you not to do that however.

Are grouse habitual birds?? Walked a trail flushing one a week ago( not ready for a shot). FLushed same exact spot next day strangley looked liek the same bird too fast for me. The next day same spot again! I got a shot off. I coulda sworn I had to hit it but no feathers, carcass nothing! 2 days later my buddy who was with on the first trip flushed one same spot and he said it was like it couldnt fly. He killed it. Strangley it looks like the same bird everytime really ash grey colored. any thoughts on this??