• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite Deer Rifle Caliber

cribbageboy

I've been shooting a .280 Rem on A-bolt for years and love it. But, you would never hear me argue against the 06 or some others that are mentioned.

All legal calibers for the state I am hunting in at the time....

I think the perfect white tail bullet is 100-140 gr.

100 grainers outta my 243/6mms. 100/120's outta my 25's and 140's outta my 7's..

But then again 250grs outta my 50 cal smokepole kicks deer butt flat down now!!

And I really like to pick up an traditional 45-70, load it with 777 & 400-500 grain buff bullets that would be super cool.

The key is to remember is there is no perfect caliber/bullet/gun, only one perfect shot!!! If it isnt what feels like a perfect shot, dont take it. wink.gif

Rod

12 gauge Hordany SST Incredible knock down power.4 1/2" group at 100 yards out of a winchester 1300 rifled slug barrel. I hunt in the slug zone but would use it in the woods up north without a bit of hesitation. By the way I did experiment out at 200 yards. After some practice, 8" groups. A long poke for a slug gun and not one I would take but the balisstics of these shells is unbelievable. To get the accurcay at that range the barrel needs to be cleaned for each shot to remove plastic fouling. I think the velocity is around 2000' per second and 300 grains. POWWW! when it hits the deer.

My favs are .270 or '06 and the 12 gauge slugs.

I feel the design of the rifle/shotgun has more to do with the type of hunting then the caliber. My .270 is a bolt action with a 3x9x40 scope. Its a good farmland,beanfeild rifle but works in just about any stand hunting type application. My good buddy has a .270 rem 7400 with a peep sight that he does alot of drives with. Its one of the deadliest brush guns I know. Fast compact and accurte. Whereas my rifle is steady, flat shooting and accurate. My shot gun is suprisingly accurate with a cantilever barrel scope and RIFLED slugs. Its not as accurate with an iron barrel or a bird barrel but its a helava still hunting gun where shots are close and suprising.

Quote:

I love my Marlin model 30AS 30-30 lever gun. Most of my shots are within 50 yards, so it's plenty for my hunting needs, and it's short enough to be maneuverable in the thick stuff. Great little brush gun.

I used to hunt with an old Winchester .308 that I loved. It was a lever action with a 5-round clip, and it was dead-nuts accurate out to 200 yards. I wish I could find another like it.

I also like my .54 Hawken muzzleloader. It'll knock a deer clean off it's feet with a 450 grain maxi-ball.

huskerben, thay would be the model 88. I have one & I love it. there happens to be a model 88 (pre 64) in my local shopper paper this week, it is a .308.

I'm new here & can't seem to PM anyone, not sure why, but if you want the number for it see if you can PM me & I'll get it to you.

Dave

Yeah, it was the model 88. Loved it. I took my first three deer with it.

Unfortunately, I can't convince the wife (yet) to let me get another rifle. She doesn't seem to understand that, yes, in fact, I do need a new gun, even though I have several already. This one is different, and therefore, I must have it. Just like she has to have that new serving platter ("But this one's a different color..."). I'll just have to get my guns like I get my rods and reels: save up enough money on the side (change jar), buy it, bring it home when she's not there, and if she ever says, "Where'd you get that?" I reply, "What, this old thing? Had it for years."

Ben