Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nitroant

Anybody up grouse hunting yet??

11 posts in this topic

Just looking for a few reports out of the area for numbers and the status of the leaf coverage still. Anybody get out for the opener??

Thanks-

Still lots of cover in the woods. Give it a week or two and then you will be more able to see down low. Now if you have a real good dog...well lets just say that there are birds a plenty...just too much cover still.

I know that they say numbers are up but I am sure not seeing it up here. Maybe once the leaves drop they will be easier to find but right now they seem kind of scarce.

Duckster

We were up in the Crane lake area over the past weekend and in my opinion there are less birds this year. Very disappointing to say the least.

Any new reports?? Cover should be about down up there???

Nitroant, spoke to hunters over the weekend, still lots of cover, leaves have turned and beginning to thin now. Lots of rain as of late, ground cover needs a heavy frost to knock down growth. guts

Fish are not biting, so we went to the birds. We did ok, they seem to be jumping early, but we did get some birds. Leaves are 70% up, but they are falling fast.

my father in law got two birds a week ago and we werent really even hunting. we just had the gun along in case while out looking over the deer stand. didnt seem to be the numbers that were anticipated going into the year. maybe the snow flurries will scare the leaves off the trees today and tomorrow.

The snow (about a 1/4") and wind today did do a number on the leaves. Pretty soggy out there!

Heard mixed success Sunday thru today. Guess most grouse are running scared - been shot at a time or two. I still see the occassional dummy standing in the middle of the road.

I think that the forcast for grouse was inflated too. Still enuf to go around tho...maybe more now that the fall weather is really here.

LIS

I have been averaging twice a week on hunting forays for Grouse. I do not believe that Grouse numbers are up in this area. I hunt with a dog, and I am not getting the number of flushes this year that I got last year. I also have seen twice as many hunters in my area this year versus last year, which could explain why I am hearing and seeing fewer flushes. The leaves on the trees are about 80-85% gone, but the low bushes still hold 50% of their leaves. Another week to 10 days will greatly improve that situation.

Numbers are up just north of Duluth. However the numbers are definately down around the Kabetogama, Orr, International Falls area. I believe the numbers were certainly inflated somewhat. Just because the drumming numbers were up 40% across the state doesn't mean that numbers will be up all together. As you all well know there is predator involvement, not necessarily on adult birds either. Nest predators such as squirrels and skunks drastically effect brood humbers. I also don't think that the conditions were ideal for brood success either. In either case it's always worth it to go out and enjoy the fall weather, or in this case early winter!

Take Care Guys!