Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
USPENAMC

if i shot a doe on area 2 can I ?????

18 posts in this topic

i shot a doe in carlos avery which is managed area. now i can shoot either one more buck or a doe in the area or any area 2....but my question is......

can i go to area 1 or 3 or 4 as long as its managed or intensive and hunt there with my main archery license or since i already shot a doe in area 2 i have to stay in area 2 ??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume you used a bonus tag in CA? If so you can use your either sex tag in any part of the state and you may purchase and use three additional bonus tags in the any intensive harvest areas. The zones 1-4 don't affect bowhunting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

i shot a doe in carlos avery which is managed area. now i can shoot either one more buck or a doe in the area or any area 2....but my question is......

can i go to area 1 or 3 or 4 as long as its managed or intensive and hunt there with my main archery license or since i already shot a doe in area 2 i have to stay in area 2 ??????


The bag limit for managed areas is 2. They can both be from the same area or 2 different areas. It doesn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both answers are correct. You can no longer hunt in lottery areas, you can get 1 more either sex deer in managed, up to 4 more in intensive and of course unlimited bonus tags in the metro zone #601.

Zones 1-4 don't apply, just stick to the lottery, managed, intensive classifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cool thats what i was thinking im glad its like that for bow hunting. one more reason im enjoying it i can be a nomad he he he. POWERSTROKE how did you do up north? im thinking of hitting some of the local metro areas by shakopee and chaska i think they are still inside the metro zone area. might get lucky there wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Powerstroke,

You stated "you can no longer hunt in a lottery zone" So are you saying if he takes a doe in a managed area he cannot fill his second antlerless tag in a lottery zone? I thought you could only shoot one deer in a lottery area (regardless of weapon) and then use your other tags in either the managed or intensive harvest zones.

Please clarify.

Thanks,

WG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just going to say something about that. I sent an email to the DNR and THis is what i asked:

I hunt in a lottery zone, the book says that there is a 1 deer limit in a lottery zone,

I would like to know what is legal and what is not for the following scenarios.

1> I shoot a Doe in a Lottery zone with a bow, can i

tag it with my antlerless tag and still be able to shoot a

buck in a management or intesive harvest zone with my

either sex tag.

2> i shoot a buck in an intensive harvest or management

zone, am i still able to with a bow shoot a doe in the

lottery zone with my antlerless tag on my all season

license.

THis is the reply:

Yes to both 1 and 2. One deer in lottery areas, 1 buck unless you get drawn in the lottery or with archery, 2 in managed 5 in intensive areas. Good Luck. Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

...You can no longer hunt in lotteryareas,...


Wrong

Deer shot in managed areas do not count against your one deer allowed in a lottery area. A hunter can tag TWO deer in managed areas, ONE deer in a lottery area without one effecting the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1> I shoot a Doe in a Lottery zone with a bow, can i

tag it with my antlerless tag and still be able to shoot a

buck in a management or intesive harvest zone with my

either sex tag.

You cannot use a "bonus" tag in a lottery area. If you are bowhunting you need to use your main archery tag in a lottery area. You will not be able to tag a buck later in any other area with bow since your main tag has been used. Lcornice has mentioned this several times here on FM.

I just reread your point #2 about all season license. I do not know the correct answer there. I answered your point #1 based upon regular archery tag and bonus tags. Sorry for adding to any confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

1> I shoot a Doe in a Lottery zone with a bow, can i

tag it with my antlerless tag and still be able to shoot a

buck in a management or intesive harvest zone with my

either sex tag.

You cannot use a "bonus" tag in a lottery area. If you are bowhunting you need to use your main archery tag in a lottery area. You will not be able to tag a buck later in any other area with bow since your main tag has been used. Lcornice has mentioned this several times here on FM.

I just reread your point #2 about all season license. I do not know the correct answer there. I answered your point #1 based upon regular archery tag and bonus tags. Sorry for adding to any confusion.


The attempt with bag limits was to make them more discrete; hence, easier to follow. Again, they are:

lottery - 1

managed - 2

intensive - 5

Aggregate bag limit is 5 total, except for special conditions mentioned in the book (tb zone, early antlerless, metro), which are extras.

I thought that would be easier than 1 in a lottery unless you kill one in a managed than that counts towards your lottery, etc, etc.

As indicated, no bonus permits at all, ever, in lottery areas. Remember, the goal is to decrease the antlerless kill in those areas. Bowhunters should be pretty thankful they got a pass on doe harvest in lottery areas. They could have easily been put under the permit system (like firearm and muzzleloader). In fact, gun hunters are wondering why they weren't. I'll leave it at that ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

icorn and powerstroke

Would you both e mail me

metrouinc at frontiernet.net

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I May have not specified to you but i did when i wrote the email,

THis is with a all season license,

it is not a bonus tag it is considered a antlerless tag.

I made very clear when i wrote the email that he knew i was using a all season.

The rules is limit in each area.

So if i do shoot a deer in a managed i still have not shot one in a lottery.

THerefore i am able to use one of my remaining tags in a lottery zone.

Sorry if i didnt explain totally but i have a buddy who asked the same question and got the same response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my email with the response on top from THe DNR .

Yes to both 1 and 2. One deer in lottery areas, 1 buck unless you get drawn in the lottery or with archery, 2 in managed 5 in intensive areas. Good Luck. Kevin

>>> <gregkiess@warpdriveonline.com> 9/11/2007 1:12 PM >>>

I was recently talking with someone about the all season deer license and we had a disagreement on the wording in the regulations book.

I hunt in a lottery zone, the book says that there is a 1 deer limit in a lottery zone,

I would like to know what is legal and what is not for the following scenarios.

1> I shoot a Doe in a Lottery zone with a bow, can i

tag it with my antlerless tag and still be able to shoot a

buck in a management or intesive harvest zone with my

either sex tag.

2> i shoot a buck in an intensive harvest or management

zone, am i still able to with a bow shoot a doe in the

lottery zone with my antlerless tag on my all season

license.

After reading over and over the rules book i have come to

the understanding that what i have written above is legal.

If it is not could you please explain what is legal and

give me the page in the regulations that this is

explained.

I thank you in advance for you help with this matter. I

just want to be as legal as possible, because if i cant

understand it i am sure there are many others that also

cant.

Sincerly,

Greg Kiess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Here is my email with the response on top from THe DNR .

Yes to both 1 and 2. One deer in lottery areas, 1 buck unless you get drawn in the lottery or with archery, 2 in managed 5 in intensive areas. Good Luck. Kevin

>>> <gregkiess@warpdriveonline.com> 9/11/2007 1:12 PM >>>

I was recently talking with someone about the all season deer license and we had a disagreement on the wording in the regulations book.

I hunt in a lottery zone, the book says that there is a 1 deer limit in a lottery zone,

I would like to know what is legal and what is not for the following scenarios.

1> I shoot a Doe in a Lottery zone with a bow, can i

tag it with my antlerless tag and still be able to shoot a

buck in a management or intesive harvest zone with my

either sex tag.

2> i shoot a buck in an intensive harvest or management

zone, am i still able to with a bow shoot a doe in the

lottery zone with my antlerless tag on my all season

license.

After reading over and over the rules book i have come to

the understanding that what i have written above is legal.

If it is not could you please explain what is legal and

give me the page in the regulations that this is

explained.

I thank you in advance for you help with this matter. I

just want to be as legal as possible, because if i cant

understand it i am sure there are many others that also

cant.

Sincerly,

Greg Kiess


Yes on both accounts. Refer to my previous post regarding discrete bag limits for each area designation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification of my response. Obviously we are all still struglling a bit with learning the new regs.

My answer to uspen went a bit above and beyond what he asked for and I got the lottery portion incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification of my response. Obviously we are all still struglling a bit with learning the new regs.

My answer to uspen went a bit above and beyond what he asked for and I got the lottery portion incorrect.


No problem. Good discussion and dialogue is why this board is invaluable with respect to sharing and clarifying information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Lcornice for helping out on our board. You have been a great asset to the hunters here and in our state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so if I am understanding this right I can shoot a doe in a lottery zone, with my bow, tag it with an anterless tag, then go to a management zone and shoot a buck or a doe, with my bow, and tag it with my either sex tag?(I have the all season license)

Sorry but after reading the above posts I am still a little confused. I must be a little slow this morning grin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0