• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins are done

IFallsRon

It's time to start the who shouldn't be back with the team thread.

Here's my picks: Reyes, Rincon, Punto, Ford and White.

Too bad that Reyes and Punto will be back and grossly overpaid.

I will agree with all of those.

Look for Silva and Hunter to be gone too. Not that I want them too. I believe we will sign one of them though.

I would also say that one of our pitching prospects gets traded this offseason. I think it will be Scott Baker or Kevin Slowey. Noone will give much for Boof and Garza is still a top of the rotation type prospect.

We need a 3B, DH, 2B and possible a CF.

We are set about everywhere else, although I wouldn't mind another good arm in the bullpen.

SP

1. Santana

2. Baker

3. Garza

4. Boof

5. Silva, Slowey, Blackburn(he is impressive), Liriano if all thing go well Liriano will be our #2 starter.

C Joe

1B MVP

2B ?

3B ?

SS Bartlett

LF Kubel hands down

CF Hunter? Aaron Rowand, Kenny Lofton, Darin Erstad

RF Cuddy

DH ?

Bullpen

Nathan

Neshek

Guerrier

Crain

Reyes

Blackburn

Quite a few holes still in the lineup, but the core is still there. We will have as good a shot as anyone as long as Liriano is healthy and our top guys produce. Hope Hunter stays. Hard to replace his production with Span.

Per Gardy he already has a 2b for next year, this is a complete joke.

On Monday, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire let it be known who is his first choice at the position for 2008.

It's Nick Punto, who hasn't let his tremendous defense suffer this year despite one of the worst offensive seasons in recent major league history. Putting Punto at second would enable the Twins to search for a new third baseman this offseason.

I have been hard on Punto, but this wouldn't shock me. I think he is a better 2b than Casilla. I can take his lack of offense at 2b, compared to all of Casilla's mistakes he has made. Silva should be back because I think they will trade Santana this winter. Because of this they will sign Hunter. None of the rookies have shown much to this point in the rotation, thats why you need Silva when they trade Santana. Hunter to me is more valuable than Santana because they have nobody to replace him. with the Santana trade, you should be able to pick up a 3rd baseman and an outfielder.

If the Twins aren't going to re-sign Santana, they need to trade him...so they can control where he goes. Trade him to a large-market NL team (Dodgers, Mets, etc) so that team can re-sign him and keep him out of the AL.

Unless they get a really loaded deal from someone else...

Maybe Terry ryan being gone is the best thing for the Twins, we are only a couple of high risk trades away from a world series.

Guys, Ryan leaving isn't going to change anything I don't think. Not to be pessimestic, but I think the Twins are taking a turn South for a few years. If you ask me, Hunter is all but gone after this season, and you can pretty much bet that Santana the way he's talking will be following next year. If management is smart he'll get traded sometime next year to a contender. I just hope its to a National League team. We have a few expirering contracts coming up that decisions are going to be made and who is going be hitting free agency. Not quite sure where Liriano is going to fit in on next year's staff quite yet. Don't know if he'll be ready to be plugged into the starting rotation yet, so maybe the bullpen may be his spot at least for a year.

The way the Tigers and Indians are aggressive in free agency and trades I see them being the leaders of the pack for a while, and I'm sure the WHite SOx will continue to make moves as well. If the Twins new management continue with the patchwork gameplan Ryan has had the last couple years we'll be falling behind the Royals for for the AL Central Basement.

I'll take our "twins" business model over the rest of the divisions any day of the week of course our record this decade proves this.

I would say there is a less than a ZERO percent chance Santana will traded in the winter off season.

I guess I'd take Punto over Cassila at second if it were my choice.

Quote:

I'll take our "twins" business model over the rest of the divisions any day of the week of course our record this decade proves this.

That may have worked in the past, and I may be wrong, but I don't think the Twins are going to be able to maintain the same approach and get it done. The past decade the rest of the division for the most part took the same approach as the Twins. But in the past 2-3 years the White Sox, Tigers, and Indians have been far more aggressive than the Twins. Granted the White Sox have tanked this season, but they won it all a couple years back. If the Twins continue with the same-ol-same "business" model they've stuck with the past decade they won't be sniffing the playoffs anytime soon. It will be more seasons like this...mediocrity and a middle of the pack finish in the AL Central.

Garrett Jones? I was excited by his minor league numbers...until I saw his long, looping swing. David McCarty, anyone? He's got major, major work to do to become a functional major league hitter.

Casilla needs to spend a full year in AAA. His head is not in the game at this point. They need a stop-gap at 2B.

Hate to say it, but I like what I've seen from Buscher. His defense needs some work but I really like that short, compact swing he has.

Quote:

It's time to start the who shouldn't be back with the team thread.

Here's my picks: Reyes, Rincon, Punto, Ford and White.

Too bad that Reyes and Punto will be back and grossly

overpaid.

Most of the guys on your list need to leave Ron. We could live with Punto, provided he hits just a bit better. That's not impossible. I will be VERY upset if they don't make a serious attempt at picking up an everyday powerhitter, plus one old powerman for the bench. IMO, you can't win the Central if you got five or more starters that pitchers don't fear at all.

torri hunter will not sign with the twins, I am almost postive on this one. he has not attended any special events the twins have put on of late. hunter will sign with the yanks, or a texas team.

we need to sign a free agent hitter, and lock up santana, and it will help if the twins sign silva, who is a good friend of santana.

the twins need to spend some money, its obvious that bringing up good minor leauge prospects is not the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

I would say there is a less than a ZERO percent chance Santana will traded in the winter off season.

I must admit I would take the suposed deal with the Mets that is circulating in the media...

I heard just the tail end of a report on that. The only name I heard was Jose Reyes. I got to admit, that had me intrigued but SS is not our postition of need. I would rather see David Wright and some other MLB ready talent.

That deal would include Bartlet, we would get an out fielder and a pitcher with Reyes. We have all been saying give the young pitchers a chance, trade Yohan, sign Hunter and lets play. I'd like Wright from the Mets before Reyes, but Reyes has good #'s and both are young. Not a big fan of giving long term contracts to pitchers.