Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
houndheaterguy

Grouse hunting

8 posts in this topic

Got a question. Taking my son and my buddy's kid this coming weekend. It is my buddy's kids' first grouse hunt. We are going to the Hackensack area. Any reports? Thanks in advance. Hound Heater Guy

Not much shooting over opening weekend...(typical at this time of year.) Quite quiet. Lots of leaves on the trees and underbrush so shooting has to be quick and open. Numbers are supposed to be up, but who knows... Going to be a warm one too this coming weekend...bring plenty of water if you are working dogs...they are going to need it.

Steve

I was up in that area last weekend, made a short walk out to my deer stand area to check it out, I kicked over 12 out of one spot, that has not happened to me in years.

My buddy shot his limit in 45 mins on opener closer to Nevis. I can't wait for next week when I come up and the leaves are off!!

What makes you think the leaves will be off by next weekend? They're just starting to turn.

The leaves aren't necessarily off the big trees by this time but they are off the majority of the brush(where the grouse are) this weekend for us every year. Plus heard the color change was ahead of last year.

The leaves are dropping fast right now... We had heavy winds the last two days and the rain that is in the forecast for tonight and tomm. could take care of the rest... I'm not now forest ranger but I think with all the dry weather we had this summer, that may have had something to do with the change so quick...

Beef

Hey thanks guys. Got out of my classroom in Big Lake at 2:15 and was in the woods behind my labs by 5:15. Flushed 5, missed 4...got a thirst going so went to my cabin. Got up with the sun, flushed 7, got 2. Would not have found eithewr without the dogs. Could not tell I hit them. Too hot by 11am. Going back up this weekend. Good luck to all!!!