• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FMers I need HELP buying a boat

Whiskeywalleyes

I am going to buy a boat this fall and I am stuck between a Double Console "double Bubble and a full windshield.

Can you give me some pros and cons on the Double Window good bad and the ugly..

Thanks....

The full windshield will keep you drier than a dual console. With only the dual console, water will splash between the shields and get your legs and seats wet.

Have had single consoles and have one now in 18' boat. After fishing from all, I would not get double bubble, and would not get full windshield in anything shorter than 19' boat. Next boat for us (who knows when, ha!) will be a 19' to 21' full windshield boat. They are hotter in summer, take up fishing room, but very nice on cold spring ro fall or raining days to have some cover. That's my 2 cents...

We moved from a "Double Bubble" on our last boat, to a full windshield this year. I won't go back to the bubbles. As Box said, they're great in the Spring and Fall. Which is when I like to fish the most. Less Rec. boat traffic.

I have the other half of the boat BoxMN is talking about and I would sacrfice some space and fishing room in order to be able to run fast in any weather. I would agree that for us at least getting a bigger boat than the 18' we currently have would be a requirement though. The only way I'd not get a dual console is if I fished alone 100% of the time.

I depends on what you fish for and where. Further considerations would be if you fish with people that know what they're doing or rookies. I've had 3 single consoles including my current boat and one boat with a windshield. The single console allows you to get around in the boat easier to drop the trolling motor or anchor and to help land fish or assist kids and others that aren't self sufficient. If you are a hardcore big water fisherman and fish with others that can drop an anchor, trolling motor,etc. on windy days.... Then listen to BoxMN and don't settle for a full windshield unless your boat is 19+ feet in length! I still have scars on my chest from trying to get through a walk through windshield on a windy day on Mille Lacs in a boat less than 19 ft. Additonally, I almost took out half the boats on the east side of the lake in gale force winds and passengers that couldn't or wouldn't drop anchor, drive the boat or drop a trolling motor. I sold the boat as soon as I got back in town!

In summary:

Big Water/Big boat a Full windshield is good.

Most lakes and wives and kids - Single console

PS - I do fish big water like Mille Lacs too with my wife and kids and grandkids...

Thanks all, actually tonight I stopped by the dealer and the model I looked at the Window screen on a Console was not working properly, now when I am going to be doing allot of trailer runs I don't think removing and installing that flipping thing is very sufficient..

Problems I see with Double bubble screens…

blowing out of the boat during trailering,

Clamps not working.

Scratching… etc

Anyone agree or disagree

It all depends on what you do with your boat. Take a long hard look, at present and future. Your going to spend 30k.

Are you only fishing? Kids? Skiing, tubing, pleasure crafting? Big water, little lakes? Combo?

IMO, I went with the Alum Trophy. Why?

I wanted a boat I can go on big water, and I conquer Mille Lacs waves without getting wet.

I wanted a boat I an take my kids tubing with, and pull myself skiing.

I wanted a boat that is light enough that I don't totally kill my mileage with.

I wanted a boat easy on and off a roller trailer.

I wanted a boat I can just cruise Minnetonka with.

So, in my ramblings, what I am saying IMO,

Make a list. pros, cons.

Whats going to fit you and your family best.

smile.gif

The dubble bubbles won't blow out at all. They are just like single console, and are in there tight unless you detatch them, so don't worry about that, if otherwise you like them.

I will just say this and let you alone wink.gif the bubbles only hide a little bit of the air when driving, they won't keep you from getting wet on a windy and big wavy day. Maybe a little but not much. The full windshield will keep you much drier and warmer. If you don't go out in big wind/waves or when its cold, then I would not get full windshield on any boat. As was mentioned it does affect netting and just plain fishing room. My brother HugoBox was in windshield boat only 17' and landing a muskie was a hassle he said.

Good luck! Enjoy whatever you get!

For what it's worth, After I went to a full windshield, I would never go back, however, I do go out on bigger water a half dozen times a year. If I were to only fish smaller lakes, maybe I'd consider a bubble or double bubble (doubt it), but even so, in the spring and fall when it's much cooler and at times windy, the full windshield is nice. Like an earlier poster put it, determine what type of fishing your gonna do, what type of "extracurriculars" you want to do, what type of water your gonna fish, and then go from there. One last bit of info: My wife would NOT go in other boats until I got the full windshield. I've had other friends who've had the same exact experience, however, this my convince some to go with no windshield! Good luck (man I LOVE boat shopping!!).

Again, I agree with Box!

My experiences were the same on a windshield boat. As far as anything blowing out - You should normally put a cover on your boat when travelling any distance. As an example, the bugs on your car windshield should show you what you may have splattered inside your boat. Not to mention anything else blowing out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 17.5ft Lund Fisherman with a full windshield (see my pic to the left). It is my first boat, but I grew up with a single consol and new I wanted a full windshield. the full windshield is great for running bigger waters as well as keeping my wife warm and dry when we are just out for a boat ride. Lund has replaced the Fisherman models with the Tyee models. check out the convertible bow (fishing platform & open bow seating w/ pads)that Lund offers. The movable plate has held up great over the last 4 summers. The only thing I would change about my Lund is that I wish it had in-floor rod storage. Otherwise its a great boat that really handles the big rollers on Tonka and Prior Lakes very well. Good luck and have fun picking out your new boat!

• 3 weeks later...

Your welcome to buy my Crestliner Sportfish 18.5 ft w/yamaha 4 stroke 150 HP. grin.gif I personally like the windshield, but thats just my preference.

How about a 2005 Ranger 620VS w/225 Yamaha 4 stroke,8 hp kicker, tis a sweet ride, rigged very nicely, all kinds of extras.less than 10 hours on it.

You may have thought about this, but the location of the console/windshield makes a big difference in how you fish from the boat too. Out here in the PNW most boats have the consoles very far forward leaving a tiny, almost unusuable, bow deck but tons of room in the back. Midwest boats seem to usually have more mid mounted consoles, but Lund and others have some with them set well towards the back. Once you decide on single vs double vs full you might want to think about where it will work best for you too.