Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eye4Eye

Turnover and water temps

16 posts in this topic

I have a trip planned for Oct 2-7th. Last year we did it at the end of Sept and got burned with turnover, so we moved it back a week. I am wondering if anyone has current water temps and expected turnover dates.

Thanks in advance

55 dergrees off of knox island on sunday the 16th at 2:00 pm

Do you know what temp the lake turns over? I thought it was in the 40's but was not sure.

Thanks again

I have found that fishing seems to pick up after about 55 degrees, surface temps.Water continues to circulate, mix until water is the same temp top to bottom.

Thanks.....Does that mean turnover starts at 55 degrees? Do you think it will be completed in a couple of weeks?

Thanks again for all the information

Here is my take on turnover. The water at the bottom is colder than the water at the top during the summer. In the fall the top water cools. If it cools gradually then the water mixes slowly and there is a very limited "turnover". If we have several cool days with cold nights in a row then the surface water cools rapidly and becomes colder than the water on the bottom and you have a more prolific turnover...the kind that will really kill the bite for a week or two. I am not a biologist but rather I am repeating what a retired DNR guy from fisheries told me. Seems to make sense to me.

ODL

ODL

Thanks that makes sense, I am wondering with the cool snap we had last week if it is mixed. I am looking at long range forcast and it looks like it will not get cold like that until after we are already there. BTW did you have success by knox island? I do not know where that is exactly, we pretty much fished the mouth of the ash river.

Thanks

I think rapid water temp changes have more to do with bite than the effect of turnovers, at least at Elephant Lake which is just a bit south of Kap. Case in point, last week the lake had already turned and the water was at 62 when we arrived. By our last day the lake had cleared a lot and the temperature dropped from 62 to 54 due to very cold nights. Fishing seemed to drop off with the temp fall. Have fished there many times over the years and sometimes have done really well during turnover. Could be different in deep lakes. Elephant is only about 30' max.

I got a couple off of Knox but I also got fish off of martin, lost bay, green island, Ritchie, three sisters, ect... No one place that I can say go here and limit out. Fishing on kab has been a little slow (for me) since labor day. I am hoping it will pick up but I would rather spend a day on Kab trying to catch fish than a day at home doing chores. I am up to fish this weekend and next then it is time to close up and get the homestead ready for winter. (wood to chop, siding to stain and put up, trim to put up, Xmas presents to make for the wife and then there is snowmobiling and ice fishing)

I would look forward to your report. I agree a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

So assumingthe turnover happens before the first week of October (if it hasn't already). Is it safe to assume that the fish will be schooling up and putting on the feedbag (I believe they are no longer "scattered" after turnover). Typically in the 25 - 35 foot range? I haven't done much deeper water fishing before - usually sticking to structure type fishing...

Thanks

Bill

I WADED INTO THE LAKE YESTERDAY A HALF HOUR NORTH OF HIBBING. I DONT THINK IT HAS TURNED YET, BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT REALLY FELT COOL WHEN I GOT UP TO THE SWEET SPOT. shocked.gif

Last weekend was a little better than the week before with most of the guys in camp getting fish. Only one guy got any to eat the rest of us got fish that were too big or the wrong species. Also saw a 16 inch Crappie come in. water temps seem to be holding steady at 55-57. Good luck and tight lines.

ODL

Thanks ODL what worked best for you. Jig/minnow Less than a week away...can't wait.

I was trolling a silver spinner and minnow and my friend mark was jigging out of his boat 30 yards aways and we both got fish.

Eye, I bet the water temp will be near 50-52 by next week. It isn't supposed to be much over 50 during the day and 30's at night... Should be nice weather when you get up here. Let us all know how you do when you get back!