• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Croix always humbling?

canon

Four people and two boats. Started about 6:45a.m. Trolled cranks and crawlers around Afton, nothing. Put on the plastics and minnow raps, spinners ect. headed to the kinni narrows for bass. Tossed many. One big strike, lost it, possibly northern. Nothing else, went up by 94 bridge caught 2 bass. Fished until 3:30p.m. only landed 2 bass the whole day. Took the boat out, went to an area lake I know, caught several bass. My question is, Is the Croix good bass waters? I want to believe it is, I really enjoy the views and the fishing, but fishing for bass is tough out there. I have had days where I did well, but not consistent like the lakes. This is my second year on the Croix and I know the fishing is great, does it take a long time to figure the river out? I think lakes are less temperamental, you see a point or lillies or structure, you throw your bait, the river does not seem consistent to me. What I enjoy is the multi species that the Croix produces. I would like any advice or personal stories of beginners on the Croix. I still absolutely believe it is one of the top fisheries in area, I just can get frustated with my attemps. I have a lot to learn about the river, it doesn't seem easy. I have even casted hundreds of times around structure that is textbook. I am thinking of changing the fish I fish for. I still have a lot of fun. Any ideas?

I'll sum it up briefly work deeper... They aren't always a shallow fish. Walleye guys catch bass all the time in deep water. Adjust your techniques to go deeper. That should help. Good luck!

tURK

Thanks Turk, I have heard people talk about fishing deeper but I haven't tried much. I have had great luck with a few plastics, so I guess I should add a bit more weight and be patient with deeper fishing? I'll try some deeper raps as well. I just recently picked up some minnow raps that go to 11ft deep or so. Thanks for the info.

I've caught smallies (some big ones) walleye fishing from 20' to 30' deep. Smaller ones seem to be in skinnier water.

Jusy hang in there. This is my 2nd year on the Croix and I get owned by the river a lot, too... frown.gif

I haven't been on the Croix for almost 2 months now, so my confidence is high again. grin.gif

There is usually a skinny water bite somewhere but like Turk said, try the deeper water tactics. Trolling is always a good way to find fish. Watch your electronics and pay attention to the bottom as this often is the key. Rock to sand to mud ect: can and will hold fish. Some of the areas are going to be large and well known but the smaller stuff that you might find while out is what is going to produce for you on a more consistent basis. Look for the bait but also the bottom substrate and pay attention. Sometimes it will hold a multitude of sheepies and at other times it will be a walleye magnet. Subtle rises in the bottom, sometimes mere inches can be enough of a current break to hold fish. Hang in there, there is alot to learn on the river and even when you think you have it well in hand, things change and the river throws a curve. A fishing log will help, note temp, time of day, month, day year and any conditions prior to your outing as well as the baits that produced or didn't. This is really nice to look back on, and can produce some seasonal patterns. It also can keep you busy between outings when you can't get on the water! Keep pluggin man! It is all a learning curve and you are on the right track just by being here on this site!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

i've found that the BIGGEST MUSKIE in the water i'm fishing is always in the EXACT same spot an 800 pound GORRILLA is (ANYWHERE it wants)

Quote:

the best advice i can give someone who wants to fish the croix is ''fish it '' by this i mean fish ''it''. in my time on the croix i've gotten a trophy of every species that matters to me. wally: 33'' and 14 1/2 pounds on my home made silk net scale. accurate to within 1 oz on a 25 lb weight. muskie: 51 1/2 '' 41 lbs same scale smallmouth bass 24'' no scale crappie 3 lbs 7 ozs. 20 years ago. bluegill 1 lb 3 ozs same year as crappie several miles apart. flathead catfish aprox. 50 lbs several times 57 lbs best on my scale. white bass about two lbs several times channel cat 24 lbs best several 20's also caught several trophy''ish'' roughfish but i'm not tellin. my time spent there has also included many many days and sometimes weeks not getting anything close to a trophy class fish. even some days when i don't get jack. my point i guess is fish it and keep fishing it. when you find a spot keep in a file because next week you'll need to find another. and in a month it will produce again. just 1 tip i'm willing to give. on the busiest weekends or the 4th if the maps match the true depth on that day find water with emerald shiners(not shad) just below the surface and fish in 14 feet of water and adjust to present water depths in the current areas near the original channel. that is for wally, channel's, crappie and several species. favorite bait is of course those emerald shiners but if you can't catch them then any minnow at least 50% larger than the shiners is best.twice the size is as big as i ever go.new plastic facsimile's don't seem to work good for me. spear your minnow in your favorite way on a colored hook. white works any year but it won't produce as well as some colors will produce that same year. it changes year to year on color last year was white for sure being best this year is ''cough cough spiuyyytrer'' excuse me wink.gif. hope this helped. good luck.

Oh yeah, the Croix is an awesome smallmouth and white bass fishery. No doubt about that! Fish white bass towards mornings and evenings... Look for jumping minnows...

As for smallmouth bass, fish deep, fish shallow, fish everyuthing and you will do well... I seem to catch them everywhere on the Croix...