Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NC2

ATV help?

6 posts in this topic

Dad asked me about buying an ATV to remove dock and possibly boat lift. Die hard Honda guy, but would also consider a Yamaha I'm sure. Does 5K grand get you close to a decent machine? Not looking to tow the world, but we can't get a truck back to the shore where the lift is.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

NC2, $5K would get you a pretty decent machine. I bought a new Grizzly last September and wouldn't trade it for anything. After I added a few things, it was considerably more than $5K, but worth every penny! My dad is also a die hard Honda guy, but it seems like he is on my Yamaha more than I am. Also, Yamaha has a promotion right now where you can get a Warn winch for $69 with your purchase. If you plan on using it to take the dock and lift out, I would definitely go with a winch.

Winch? Do you hook the atv to the dock, then the winch to a tree for added towing capacity? Just curious. I'm sure we would get a winch either way.

Thanks for the info. Anywhere in Longville area we should look at buying from? Again, we may be a year away but would like to buy up there if possible.

Thanks!

bought a Polaris from Walker Power---nice people---great machine---had a special going this summer on 500cc sportsman for $5200 on 2007 machine

I pulled my neighbors' dock up the big hills on Wabedo a couple years ago with my Arctic Cat - He went right out and bought one just like mine! Dang copycat! Cat normally throws in a Warn winch. Mine has a 2" hitch that I hooked onto instead of my winch. Cat dealer just north of Longville on Hwy 84 - I've had good luck dealing with the Likens! The winch on a tree or deck post is a good idea too! I have several for my dock and boat lift...

I have found it best if you tie off the back of your 4 wheeler to a tree and hook the winch cable directly to your dock or boat lift. You will get far more pull as well as it is a lot more gentle on the lawn or landscaping then spinning wheels and trying to maneuver the winch at the same time.