Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
DGTAYLO

Live Bait or Cranks in the fall season?

DGTAYLO

I'm an eye guy (bass secondary) and want to learn more about pool 2. As we get into the fall season what are the fishes preference of lures? I fished a little in the fall last year with jig and minnow with limited success. Since then I have acquired a map of the wing dams and have a lot of ideas and I'm hoping someone can help with my learning curve.

I will be getting out Tuesday or Thursday afternoon this week depending on my work load. A buddy and I will be in my black Pro-V 1775 with a 115 Merc 4-stroke. Please stop by even if it's only to brag about your outing.

Big E

Both can work for walleyes. Personally, I'd have bait along with during September while the water is still warm (e.g., above 60F). Once water gets into the 50s I use cranks alot, with some plastics for pitching. As water falls into and through the 40s I fish cranks less and plastics more.

If I was going out this week, I'd either fish live bait along the very tips of wingdams... or cast or troll cranks along any spot I could find with current (wingdam tips, rip rap on outside bends, etc). With low flow and lots of forage, the fish are spread out.

One note... if walleyes are slow, the whites have been biting of late. I've gotten a few on cranks, but more on small twister tails.

DGTAYLO

Thanks Big E! Sounds like some great advice. I will report back on how things go. laugh.gif

PierBridge

Cranks are all you need IMO>

SkitterPopper

Hey Pier,

Is there a speed that you like when pulling cranks?

GoggleEye

I was out for quite a few hours yesterday pulling cranks deep mostly and also doing some vertical jigging off of the rock walls south of the 494 bridge landing. I couldn't even muster up a rough fish the whole day. Can anyone shed some light as to where to launch and go after all these nice walleyes that I hear about so much?? Was the area down by the rock quarries and power plant that I fished not very good for walleyes?? Also, I am looking for some bowhunting land and I am wondering if any of the land along this stretch of the river is open to public hunting? A lot of this land south of the power plant looks like very good deer habitat. I motored back into a backwater area and did see three does feeding along the water. I didn't see a single piece of land posted either along the river except one state property that was posted as a state natural area which is closed to hunting. Other than that, I couldn't tell what was state or federally owned and open to bowhunting. Can anyone help me out? You can email me if you prefer, my address is deepblueagua@yahoo.com

I am always looking for hunting partners also, so if anyone is interested in checking out some land along the river with me, let me know. I live in west st paul so this area is very close by and works out well for me as I have a little boat to get me into these river bottom areas.

GoggleEye

DGTAYLO

Got out on Monday with no luck. Tried jig and minnow and cranks. Felt a few bumps but not sure if it was fish or not. Never lost a minnow. It was just nice to get out on a gorgeous day. As we say "Never a bad day fishing".

Going out again Thursday afternoon but think I will try somewhere else until the fish start cooperating.

jigginjim

Watch the current breaks, I would try cranks.

SkitterPopper

Sounds like cranks is the way to go. But I am still wondering what a ideal speed would be. Any help?

BigWormin

I know alot of the land around the Grey Cloud area is privatly owned. There is a big park closer to Hastings called Spring Lake Park, pretty sure you can't hunt that also. I do see alot of duck hunters out there though later in the season.

Dave B

Speed depends a bit on the flow. If the flow is heavy, I like to just creep up the shoreline and let the current provide the action. If there is little flow, I troll rather fast to cover a large amount of water.

PierBridge

Quote:

Speed depends a bit on the flow. If the flow is heavy, I like to just creep up the shoreline and let the current provide the action. If there is little flow, I troll rather fast to cover a large amount of water.

I would agree with that...ball park for me has been 1.7 to 2.4 GPS.

jigginjim

Both live bait and cranks can do well. I like to have both when on pool 2.

MidCoast

I say cranks have always worked the best for me, and it is much cheaper as well...