Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayS

First timer

5 posts in this topic

Heading up to Kab for the first time Thursday. Hopefully we will have some good weather. Thinking that trolling with raps and bringing a few minnows would be best. Are leeches worth bringing this time of year? Any other suggestions for a first timer would be appreciated.

I would try crawlers instead of leeches at this time of year. Heard from a couple of guides that they were limiting out in shallow water (12-15 ft) in the morning. Then switch to minnows and look deeper as the sun gets higher. Good luck and enjoy the lake!

ODL

Great, thanks for the advice. looking forward to the first trip. Looks like the weather will be fair, should be a good weekend!!! If you see two guys in a small boat looking like we are lost, that will be us. Stop and say hi!

First Timers report: the weather could have cooperated more on Thursday and Friday, Saturday and Sunday were much better. Fishing was fair to poor, might be it is a big lake to learn for the first time up and a combination of the weather. Most boaters were great, suprised at the number of inconsiderate boaters. We had a small 14 ft with a 9.9 the big 200hp boats would race by 20 yards from us. Most would slow down, even had a few turn to give us a bigger wake.

I know that there are folks who like to fish in the channel and that would be at their own risk but if you were well out of the channel the boats should have given you a little sea room. I try to give someone as much room as possible if they are fishing, there have been times when I have come around the corner of an island to be suprised by a boat in the blind spot and then I feel bad cause I know that I am gonna rock em good but by the time I see them there it is too late to do anything but feel bad. It is better to go by planed out than to slow to 1/4 speed and really throw up a wake.