Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoggleEye

Fall Salmon Run

14 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good starting point for going after some of the spawning salmon coming up rivers and streams? I am new to the trout and salmon fishing as of this year and I have got the rainbows figured out and would now like to figure out the spawning salmon. If I can fit it into my fall schedule, I would like to give it a try for a couple days or so. Also, if you can suggest any specific type of presentations to use, I would appreciate it. I am guessing the standard spawn sacs and spinners should be included in my arsenal, but as far as the rest goes, I have no clue! Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

Good luck finding any in the metro, thats for sure. Dont get your hopes up for salmon this year either. The water up here in duluth is so low the fish cant even get in the rivers. some are even bone dry.

just keep checking the BWCA, duluth, ely area forums on the site.

head 300 plus miles striaght east would be by far your best odds

That bad huh?? Not one river or stream flowing enough for the fish to get up??

Nope. frown.gif

I saw a lot of bugle-mouthed golden salmon jumping on some metro lakes today! wink.gif

www.steelheadsite.com is a good source for information on trout and salmon runs in all the great lakes. Good luck to you.

Man, this is depressing. I was looking forward to going after some of those slobs in the rivers this year!! Oh well, I guess I will have more bowhunting time now. wink.gif

Any flow now after some of the rains?? confused.gif

yea, the rivers are blown out. you cant see a dang thing. There is a HUGE thread about the salmon run in the BWCA, Ely, duluth area regional forums, I suggest looking there. Right now the rivers are too muddy to fish in my opinion.

Don't go...too muddy! grin.gif I believe Saturday will be a beaut! I just hope the things clear up a bit.

It was very muddy yesterday still, and probably will be for a while.

Sounds like you need to head west! As in west coast, fall salmon run in on and if you ever get a chance to fish it, do it.

Harbor.jpg

caught saturday 9/29 fished 10am to 2pm

Here's a picture of my guide with the fish. 4hour drive, 4hour fishing and lots of beer! Had a few bites, couldn't hook up, got these beauts!!! Nice day to be out there! grin.gif