• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Results ruffed grouse opener.

2thepointsetters

My buddy tried that hawk scream on his collar while we were pheasant hunting last yr. We sat there watching the birds flush ahead of him.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2thepointsetters

• uplander

• jbdragon17

• Mudflap

Sorry if im off the subject a little. But what brand off beeper collar do you use? Am looking at them for my young lab. Thanks

I own a Dogtra T & B 2000 and an Innotek. Both Beeper/Trainers. The Dogtra is FAR better. I am really looking at the Garmin GPS system too.

Hunted North of Mora today for about 4 hours in the pouring rain.Moved 8 birds shot one........Loved it!!!..3 really nice points.....better than I thought we'd do with the weather....My beeper collar is out of order so had to go strait bell .......once again had a couple runners

Quote:

Nice Looking Dog...looks well worked. Do you do Trials?

Where did you get your Setter from? I'm kind in the market for another Setter if I stay in N. Minnesota. Sort of partial to the Ryman.

Thanks. He is from Berg Bros in Rogers MN. My setter is strictly for hunting but Berg Bros run trials with their dogs and they do very well. He is part Ryman but I dont remember how much. If you are looking at getting a setter, I would highly recommend calling Scott Berg his knowledge of setters is amazing.(and most of the pups sell for $550-$650 which is a great deal for blood lines you are getting) If you are interested in a seeing Berg Bros dog hunt just let me know.

If you are lookingfor dogs with a Ryman bloodline you could look at Setter Hills in Willmar. I bought a pup from there last year. He's a great dog and the owner really cares about her dogs and where they are placed. She's very selective. Not really into trials but if you want a great hunting dog and companion these dogs are perfect. You can check her out on the web at Setter Hills Gundogs.

I took my brother along for his first grouse hunt NE of park rapids on sunday. Overall it was a tough hunt but we had consistent action. We only ran into one family brood, the rest were mature birds or singles. Overall we had 9 or 10 flushes and shot 3 times, with no birds taken. We could've easily shot one out of a tree but I wouldn't let my brother shoot his fist grouse perched in a tree, and of course he missed it when it dropped blow the canopy. The 70 degree weather made it tougher on us and the dogs but it was a fun day. I'm glad the frost cleared up most of the bugs but I still found about 4 deer ticks on my dog after the hunt. The forecast was for a upswing on the cycle but I found lower or similar numbers to last year, but I don't mind working for them.

Three of us were out near Mora on Sat & Sun. We each saw 3-6 birds each time we went out (twice Sat & once Sun). No kills, a few misses but a lot of birds. We busted up a brood or two with a total of 12-15 birds on Friday evening right by the camp. We must have had another 12-15 woodcock points and could have pass shot woodcocks flying into the alders near camp on Sat evening.

Quote:

Hey 2thepoint,is that a Jack puppy? I also wasn't aware the Berg's had any Rymans....Are you sure?

blush.gif Sorry I am wrong... I just talked to Scott. But yes it is a Jack and Equinox pup.

I shot 2 this past weekend, I saw a total of 8 and I'm 100% for shots. I only got to shoot at 2 kind of tough with a green lab. he didn't really know what to do, I could care less though he is meant for pheasants. Both the pups in my avatar are for pheasants. I like walking the woods by myself. I might say something different if I had a pointing dog but I can tell you I can shoot more birds without a dog. shocked.gif

Without a pointing dog? A good pointing dog is going to cover 10x the ground a person can. That turns into more chances which in turn turns into more birds shot. wink.gif. I cant tell you how many times in the two short years I have been hunting my dog where I went down a trail right behind someone without a pointing dog, and we got the birds they missed.

"I might say something different if I had a pointing dog but I can tell you I can shoot more birds without a dog."

That's what he said.

I agree, my flushes increase but my shots decrease when I hunt with my dog, a lab. I think the important thing to note here is whether the dog is a flusher or a pointer. A pointer should certainly aide in the hunt. In my case, where my dog flushes the bird as soon as it locks onto its scent results in many flushes where I never get a chance to be in position to get a shot. If I wanted more birds in the bag then I'd go without my dog, but since my goal is an enjoyable day in the woods for both myself and the dog then he comes with.

I agree that dogs certainly up your odds, but for my experience with flushing labs, it hasn't really helped me. I have never hunted behind a pointing dog but I assume that it would be much better than a lab. At least for grouse anyways. For pheasants however, I would never consider walking without one. Lab or pointer. grin.gif

I've ruined many "Seasoned Grouse Hunters" by taking them out with a pointer. After, they say walking without a dog seems like you are wasting your time.

Even my 16 yr.old who thinks I've lost my mind because I "hunt alone" is starting to understand the sickness. Get them out on a good day and it's like watching the Outdoor Channel.

I'm starting to get nervous because my dog is getting old and I have no back-up. Even a brain dead pup is better than huinting blind.

I have always hunted grouse with no dog and done pretty darn well in the late season. However i think Hunting grouse without a dog is like going ice fishing without a vexilar. Unless in both instances..you know where the birds/fish are!

I shot 2 birds over my two pups today, have to say one of them I wouldn't have shot if it weren't for the dark one in my avatar, otherwise out of the 10 birds seen today only one I can give the dog credit for, I saw 2 coveys one of 3 where the dogs got a little ahead of my father and I and they flushed them right into the woods, and the second covey was downwind of the dogs and flushed right next to us. Still I am not knocking hunting grouse with dogs, things would have been different without dogs, or maybe wiht a little more experienced dogs, and of course more different with pointing dogs. Either way though I enjoy every minute out there as much with or without dogs being by my side. grin.gif

Quote:

I shot 2 birds over my two pups today, have to say one of them I wouldn't have shot if it weren't for the dark one in my avatar, otherwise out of the 10 birds seen today only one I can give the dog credit for, I saw 2 coveys one of 3 where the dogs got a little ahead of my father and I and they flushed them right into the woods, and the second covey was downwind of the dogs and flushed right next to us. Still I am not knocking hunting grouse with dogs, things would have been different without dogs, or maybe wiht a little more experienced dogs, and of course more different with pointing dogs. Either way though I enjoy every minute out there as much with or without dogs being by my side.
grin.gif

I think hunting grouse with a lab is worse than hunting without a dog, unless of course you have a pointing lab.

Sure you may see birds, but the chances of getting decent shots are greatly reduced.

A pointing dog is definitely the way to go. I would never consider hunting pheasants without a dog, but I wouldn't think twice about hunting grouse without one.

I'm a pointing dog guy, but I couldn't disagree more about hunting over a flushing dog being less productive than hunting solo. My buddy has a Lab and she is great. She listens well, is easy to read, and is a bird retrieving fool. If she is looking hot on a bird, you can sit her down and get in position and then let her go. She sets up birds for easy shooting because most times they are heading strait up to avoid getting their tail bit off. The other aspect is recovering birds. Any good dog is going to find you many more birds than you'd ever come up with on your own. I'm confidant that if I drop a leg on a grouse it's going to end up in the bag. Sometimes a good dog will show up with a cripple you didn't even think you hit.

I would agree that a half trained flusher that ranges at 50 yards and pays you no attention with a snoot full of bird scent would be less productive than hunting alone, but a well trained flusher that hunts close is always an asset. At the very least you could put them at heal the whole time and send them on retrieves.

Quote:

I'm a pointing dog guy, but I couldn't disagree more about hunting over a flushing dog being less productive than hunting solo. My buddy has a Lab and she is great. She listens well, is easy to read, and is a bird retrieving fool. If she is looking hot on a bird, you can sit her down and get in position and then let her go. She sets up birds for easy shooting because most times they are heading strait up to avoid getting their tail bit off. The other aspect is recovering birds. Any good dog is going to find you many more birds than you'd ever come up with on your own. I'm confidant that if I drop a leg on a grouse it's going to end up in the bag. Sometimes a good dog will show up with a cripple you didn't even think you hit.

I would agree that a half trained flusher that ranges at 50 yards and pays you no attention with a snoot full of bird scent would be less productive than hunting alone, but a good trained flusher that hunts close dog is always an asset. At the very least you could put them at heal the whole time and send them on retrieves.

Apparently the labs I have hunted with were ill-trained mutts then.

I have hunted behind many breeds and while Labs have their place in the duck blind and are more than adequate for pheasants, I have not found them to be great for grouse due to various reasons. If the labs I had experience with worked like you described I would not have made the comments I had.

Hopefully my post didn't come off harsh. I'm not trying to insult anybodys dogs. I'm just saying that flushers can be helpful in the uplands if they are trained to be.

Quote:

Hopefully my post didn't come off harsh. I'm not trying to insult anybodys dogs. I'm just saying that flushers can be helpful in the uplands if they are trained to be.

None taken by me. I am a shorthair guy myself, but I have some buddies that have labs and I have hunted with many others over the years.

They are great dogs, but I think this is just not a strong point for them.

Kinda like a shorthair duck hunting in December. It might work, but you would be better off with a Chesapeake or Lab.

i was up in that area last weekend only hunted for about 5 hours once in the morning again the next night seen a total of ten got 4 shot 3 all in one spot dog did an exlent job wish i could go up again I hunted in paul bunyon just try to find spots away from other people,

I am heading out in the morning to the Mora-Hinckley area anyone had any luck in the WMA or forests around there?