• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Appeldoorn's 1st Annual Fall Frenzy

Paul Waldowski

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rodmaker

• Paul Waldowski

• Shack

• Borch

Anytime after 9:00 a.m. If no one is around......call my cell I might be out fishing smirk.gif

Number is posted on the office door crazy.gifwink.gif

I will second the "What time can we check in on Friday?" We plan to come up early on Friday and get out there to do some perch and maybe crappie fishin in Isle Bay, sounds like some good fishing going on right now. I can't wait to get up there.

By the way, anybody got any tips on type and color for the cranks to pull for the walleyes? I have a good assortment from surface to ultra deep, but would like to work out a bit of a game plan before we get up there. I just picked up a new rapala tail dancer-7 in hot chub last night thinking that might be a fun one up there.

Tom

Quote:

By the way, anybody got any tips on type and color for the cranks to pull for the walleyes?

I will answer that as I've been researching this question for weeks now. Instant expert. grin.gif

Typical night trolling is 3'-12' of water.

You need cranks that run shallow.

Very popular and rediculously successful cranks are:

Rapala Husky Jerk in size 12 (HJ12) & 14 (HJ14)

Colors: Firetiger (#1 choice), Clown (#2 choice), Silver/Black, Glass Perch, Tennessee Shad

From what I understand, I could probably end the list right there.

But, guys like cranks and variety is good.

Smithwick Suspending Rogues in similar colors.

Berkley Frenzy Firesticks in similar colors.

Yo-Zuri Suspending Minnows in similar colors.

Rapala Shallow Shad Raps in similar colors.

Rapala Original Floating Minnow in similar colors.

15" perch and some crappies tossed into that salad to boot?!?!?! OMG I need to be there right now!!!!!!!!

Paul, I was planning on showing up later on Friday, but now............I think I'll be there in the morning. grin.gif

Right on with the colors, but don't forget about Shallow Running Shad Raps in the colors you mentioned.

Thanks Paul.

I may take the entire day off Fri. if I can. I'll give you a call sometime Wed or Thurs.

Save a few "Pigs" for the rest of us!! grin.gif

Thanks Hanson,

I have a good selection of Husky Jerks in all the colors mentioned as well as floaters and shad raps. I even have some of the Yo-Zuris (I love the action I get from the tiny ones). The majority of my cranks are ones that dive from 2-7 feet.

Another question for the group. I have been up for the fall walleye bite previously, but its been a while. When pulling the cranks, are the walleyes right now in a very aggressive mood where they will come off the bottom a ways to hit them? Say I am pulling a Husky Jerk and it is running in the 5' range and we are fishing 8-10 f.o.w. as an example.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Generally walleyes will chase a bait up in the water column. Depending on how aggressive they are on a particular day/night will impact how far they'll chase/ I've caught fish off the structure pulling baits that dive 2' in 12' of water. Be aware though that you'll often see fish suspended in the middle of the water column off the structure.

That being said I like to be in the middle of the depth I'm fishing to within 2 ft of bottom. For example I'll run a bait that runs 5' deep in 7-10 feet of water. This is especially true when fishing the rocks on Mille Lacs. Lots of $7 lures wedged in those rocks by guys who like to pound bottom. wink.gif

Everyone has their favorite lures and Chris has given everyone some very good options. For running water 3-5 ft I like #13 floating rapalas, Shallow Floating Rattlin Rogues, Bang-O Lures and Yozuri Crystal minnows. In that 6-10 ft range I like #12 & #14 HJ, Thundersticks, #5 shad raps or #7-9 Shallow Shad raps, Bomber Long A's, Salmo #9 Minnows, Super Rogues and #11 jointed rapalas. In that 11-14 ft range I'll run #7 shad Raps, #18 Floating Rapalas, #13 Jointed Rapalas and Reef Runner Rippers.

For working the edge it's hard to beat a Husky Jerk in Clown, Firetiger or rainbow. But at times the Thudersticks with out perform the HJ by a large margin. The Thundersticks have a wider almost rolling wobble. There are also times when the fish are on top and not on the edges. You'll need lures that will run shallow with a lot of line out, (unless you like to donate tackle to the reef).

Favorite colors for Mille Lacs include the following influenced by moon phase or cloud cover.

Bright nights;

1. Clown

2. Chrome/Black

3. Firetiger

4. Rainbow

5. Chartruese/Silver

Dark Night:

1. Firetiger

2. Flo. Orange/Gold

3. Perch

4. Gold/Black

5. Crawfish

Good Luck!

No doubt, thanks a lot Borch. I saw you at the portable mod get together last weekend, but didn't get a chance to talk to you. I was the one with the little boy and the stroller, I had to leave pretty early on during the first seminar, he wasn't cooperating with me.

I went out to do inventory on hard baits in the box this afternoon and I think I am pretty well set, though I might want to get a #12 Firetiger HJ or floater. Sounds like you have enough of em, maybe I can get a donation? In all seriousness, I think I will learn a lot on this trip up to the pond and we should be able to put some quality fish in the boat. I just helped my buddy rig up a new Eagle 480 in the boat today and we are taking it out tomorrow for a test run, and to throw some bucktails at some skis in the metro. And we have a GPS to use as well, now its just waiting to get up there....so hard to do.

Tom

Look forward to meeting you. I see your'e right next store, Blaine. Another color that gets overlooked and is very productice is the crayfish or crawdad color shad rap.

This is one of my favorites, especially this time of the year. Pick up a few of these in the Shallow Shad Raps.

Thinking about picking up a few of those new Rapala Minnow Raps also.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate next weekend. The first part of next week sounds wet.

See you next week

Minnow raps are also a must have in the same colors. I would start with husky jerks and if nothing is doing try minnow raps before moving to the shad raps. They are the go to lure if the eyes are holding deeper then 7 to 8ft - best choice for running 10 to 12 ft. Deeper than that I would run shad raps.

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. Time to head to Thorne Bros. Look forward to meeting you this weekend. grin.gif

yep. Worked just fine Friday night. The bleeding copper flash was the only one of the red lipped we had in the boat and it caught the most fish for us.

Hi all,

What are the ideal rod/reel set-ups for this presentation? I'm actually using baits of similar size (4 to 6 inches often times) for targeting metro tiger muskies, so I'm wondering how to approach the 'eyes while not compromising lure action, but not overdoing it, if you follow my drift. I have lots of bass set-ups, 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 med and med/heavy rods with Curados and such with 30lb Power Pro, will these suffice? Also have several lighter spinning walleye rigs as well as a couple heavier flippin' type combos with a little heavier line. Little guidance would be much appreciated.

Stocked up on stick baits and Raps and what I had (thanks for all the tips!), so I'm feeling pretty good on the lure end of things, just not sure what combos to bring. Also, direct tying to the lure, and if not what types of leaders? I typically use the Berkley 20 or 30lb 6 inch wire leaders when trolling 'eyes/pike, but flouro for the 'skis. What's the best connection?

One more Q....anyone else planning on some time chasing muskies? Big fish caught last year on the SE end of the lake the 1st week of October, so it's the right place at the right time. I have that end of things wired from a presentation standpoint, so I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks again to Paul for putting this on and looking forward to meeting y'all and a fun weekend.

Chris

Dont forget the Salmo Stings, Minnows, and Hornets too... Deadly on Mille Lacs.. Metallic Orange!!!!

Hey Paul,

Knowing it is not a full moon night Sat., how late are you guys pulling boats in?

Shack,

At this time of the year, we pull boats out whenever they need to come out. smile.gif

Does that mean your heading up Shack?

I'll be teaming up with Hanson to show everyone how the Cat guys roll grin.gif

If you're using a superline than slow the rod down. Too often stiff rods with no stretch lines= lips on the hooks instead of fish. tongue.gif

I personally like longer rods, 7-8.5' for trolling. Medium actions whth enough tip to show the action of the baits.

I'm really suprised that no one is thinking about casting for the Walleyes!? There are times when the fish might be grouped together on a "spot on the spot". If that's the case tha why not zero in on them and get the bait in front of them more?

I might be able to swing up and visit as well but I won't know till later this week.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

We are thinking about it hard! We have thoughts of one more cat outtings, but I have been weighing the Mille Lacs run for some time now!

I figure since I have the boat and the truck, I have the end result in were we go!

It has been brought up though.

If we do go, I will bring a beer for ya DTRO! That if we can bring our selves to come in and chat. When we get to fishing, that is what we do! And all we do! cool.gif

If we do go, it will be slip bobber in Sunset bay and Doe island reef. Graph fish then fish! At night at least! During the day, trolling with what ever bites is on the agenda!

I wish it was that easy fishing for cats grin.gif.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

cjac,

Those rods should work find. I'd lean towards the medium action setup with the power pro and 30# will work just fine. smile.gif

Medium to Medium/heavy with 10lbs vanish has worked in the past! If you drag them right, 4lb will work!

I would keep Power pro for the river! IMO

If you have it on already, it does not matter!

The only casting I have heard of is for bass or muskie! But one never knows. The new things are always the rage!

Superlines shine for crankbait fishing. It is very frustrating when a small weed catches the hook causing it to stop running true. With superlines you can tell the instant a weed is on the hook.

Another plus with superlines is that a hookset isn't alway's needed. The fish will do the work.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

That is true Corey!

Braid/super line, hook set is not even a factor!

But, on the big pond I like the hook set.

I have tweedled with the thought or a circle hook and braid! Hanson brought this up and it might be on hand for my next Mille Laces outting.

I stand corrected! But the vanish mono is tried and true!