• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Youth day CHILLY morning???

Sounds like the kids will have to bundle up tommorow morning with temps in the upper 20s My kid already has his snowmobilesuit layed out. Hot chocolate and coffee will be packed. Good luck to all the young hunters

so for the youth hunt can i hunt geese next to a youth hunter taking ducks if he is with someone else over 18 and not hunting?

no you may not winter...

better take the kid goose hunting instead and save the ducks for the real opener wink.gif

How did the kids do? I took a bus load of kids over to the Sartell area and they just hammered the ducks wink.gifgrin.gif

Things were a little slow this morning over this way. The kids got a little action but not near has much has I thought there would be for it being 26 degrees this morning. Were going to go try it again tomorrow.

Youth waterfowl day was on 9/15 only, right? I am heading out to motor around a bit on some lakes I hunt and I do not want to mess up a kids hunt.

In WI its the whole weekend. Kids did awesome today. Warm morning and ducks all over, go figure. They learned alot, and even killed a few ducks. They also brought down a big old honker by themselfs and us adults brought a few geese down also.

Lots of smiles and high fives. Those kids are hooked. Youth hunt is awesome. What a great way to get kids into hunting.

Outdoor Ran, Sound like you had a good hunt with the kids. Always good to hear more kids getting hooked.

Everyone else, Why does everyone on this site have to assume someone is doing something wrong or breaking the rules. It seems like everyone better have a witness or something to prove the didn't break any laws. Can't people just congratulate people on thier accomplishments without assuming they are breaking the law?

Whats getting old is people like you who don't read the whole post and jump all over someone because they want to start trouble and think they know everything. If you did you would realize I took the kids out hunting in Wi. Which BTW has different laws then MN. I will give you my e-mail address and I will gladly give you all my info and the kids info so you can turn us in to the CO since your so sure everyone breaks the law. I can't wait till this coming weekend to shoot some ducks grin.gif

Hunted North Central MN Saturday (Leech Lake area), 24 degrees. I took my son and one of his buddies out. This was the last youth day for my son due to his age, I will miss that. It was the first Youth Day for his buddy, and this guy's first ever waterfowl hunt. We had a fair number of blue wings, green wings, woodies, mallards and ringers buzzing around. Lots of chances, but the guys are too used to pheasants and grouse, they weren't quite "on" with their leads on the faster ducks. smile.gif Was entertaining for all however. They each managed a nice honker by the end of the hunt. And it was the first hunt for my new lab, too.

My son's buddy grouse hunts a lot, but my son has never wanted to try that (I grew up grouse hunting, so that has always been a bit dissapointing for me.) This was the spark he needed though, having his buddy wanting to go, so the two of them went grouse hunting later Saturday afternoon (my father and I tagged along just to watch and handle the new dog.) My son took his first grouse ever on his first shot. They flushed 15 total, but only got shots off at two due to heavy cover. It was a good day all around.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Congrats on all who were successfull during the youth hunt. Time spent in the field with sons,daughters and other kids who may not have the opportunity to hunt is priceless!! As sportsman lets all be positive about the youth hunt as we all know our youth is our future. Who do you think will be takeing us out when we get to old to go out by ourselves? I'd be willing to bet it's going to be our sons, daughters and others! Let's all ponder that for a moment and cut back on the negativity and capitalize on the positives!

Sounds like hunter4life needs to relax. About the youth hunt. What age do you guys think the kids should be to start this. Looking forward to taking the girlfriends kid out. He is only 5, so I know it will be awhile.

Quote:

Sounds like hunter4life needs to relax. About the youth hunt. What age do you guys think the kids should be to start this. Looking forward to taking the girlfriends kid out. He is only 5, so I know it will be awhile.

If he is up for it, bring him during the regular season and let him just absorb it all watching the big boys. That way, once he grows a bit and gets his hunter's safety he'll be that much more ahead.

Sartell-Why do you ask?

Im done argueing with people about internet drama. People say things on here and mean it a certain way, but others take it in a different context. Thats how it is with this stuff. It is hard to show expression with the keyboard. Im just looking for some good conversation about the things all of us love. Didnt mean to ruffle any feathers...until my last post anyway. But, there are better things to say on here than negative words to others. Ive said more than I should have, and am putting it behind me. Good luck to all on there future outings.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I took my brother when he was 9

Quote:

About the youth hunt. What age do you guys think the kids should be to start this. Looking forward to taking the girlfriends kid out. He is only 5, so I know it will be awhile.

My son is 6 now and has been going out with me since he was 4. He brings his bb gun and "shoots ducks" with that. If he does good being out there and treat his bb gun like any other gun should be treated, I plan on introducing him to a 20ga when he is 8 and go from there. My other son came out with me a couple times last year and I will bring him a couple times this year. He is 3.

jbell,

when you took your son hunting did you go alone? Or maybe go later in the morning? I have a 6 year old son and a 4 year old daughter, that will be exposed to duck hunting this year(the thought of it makes me giddy with excitement).

But I'm unsure as to how hard to push them, definitely want to make the first trip a good experience. Some of the first memorys I have of family members is duck hunting, the smell of gunpowder, coffee, and swamp gas....gotta love it!

Quote:

jbell,

when you took your son hunting did you go alone? Or maybe go later in the morning? I have a 6 year old son and a 4 year old daughter, that will be exposed to duck hunting this year(the thought of it makes me giddy with excitement).

But I'm unsure as to how hard to push them, definitely want to make the first trip a good experience. Some of the first memorys I have of family members is duck hunting, the smell of gunpowder, coffee, and swamp gas....gotta love it!

I take him alone in the morning. He struggles getting up, but after a while he is fine. My 3 year old, I pretty much only take him in the evening. The main thing is keeping them warm. Bring hand warmers, winter clothes, good boots maybe even some old blankets. Even though 40 degrees seems like good duck weather to us, it is really cold for the kids. Last year on really cold mornings, I didn't take him. To me the key seems like as long as they are comfortable they are content and have fun.

This was my last year I could do the youth hunt. I got my 6 ducks while hunting up by winnie. There was more woodies, teal, and mallards than last year but did not see nearly as many diving ducks. I don't know much about wich duck migrates first/last but when do most diving ducks migrate?

I doubt it. Im originally from Sheridan WY, and sorry but I dont just give out my name. If we knew one another, Im sure we would have already established it. Good luck in the field.

Bassmaster, what body of water did you hunt or don't you want to say? There is a little lake up there that I fished on once that looked like a gold mine for duck hunting. I won't put it on here but maybe you hunted it. Post if you choose or I'll email....