• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

strange problems, again

Dahitman44

As you guys know by now, I have strange problems happen to me. The area I have access to hunt this year used to be AWESOME. Unreal amounts of heavy trails and every tree in there has rubs on it from past year. This place was to die for.

I have posted that I was concerned about not seeing many deer. It has a huge amount of corn around it and I was thinking that is a big part of the problem. Now I look at it and it looks like dogs may be a bigger problem than i thought. The neighbors have a dog that walks around the woods once in a while, but I didn't think it is a big deal. There are two lab crosses that run around there all day and I have pics of the same dog "marking" my salt block with his urine. I have two camera pics of that!!!!

That can't be good.

Any thoughts on what I can/ should do to get rid of that? Is that messing me up big time?

In 6 weeks of infared camera pics I only have 10 pics of deer.

What should I do?

Thanks

Hitman

Man thats a bummer hitman. If you know who owns the dogs you could ask them to keep them at home which they should anyway. Contact a co about the dogs maybe they can do something. As far as the deer you could be bumming. If they are marking your plot like that if could be bad. mad.gif

gl

If I couldn't get rid of the dogs in the area you are hunting I would probably find another. I know that is easier said than done but 3 dogs around you while your hunting is probably worse.

i think and someone please corect me if im wrong but you can shoot a deer if caught chasing deer

I was afraid you guys were going to say that. It is very tough to find hunting areas, so I don;t know what kind of choices I have. I hope some other people had similar situations and still saw deer.

If you're getting the dogs regular on trail cam, maybe you could set up nearby and hit em with bear spray a few times during your hunts. That would be a non-lethal way of solving the problem. The dogs would associate that place with the bad feeling. I would try this after talking to the dogs' owners. I've thought about doing that this year. Nothing like having a pair of Rotweilers, nose to the ground, racing down deer trails down your stand to ruin a morning. People in the country think their dogs can run and crap and eat everywhere.

I've had the same problems with the neighbor dogs running thru my place. Luckily the neighbor has lived in the country all his life and realizes that dogs running thru hunting territory is not cool. I talked to him and he 'promised' to keep them locked up. Of course I had them run under my deer stand last year.... I just called him and he said sorry. When I get pictures of his dogs on my trail cam, I throw them in his mail box. Its not a great situation but I will not shoot his dogs, I have to live next to him. I just wish he'd let them run during slug hunting and maybe somebody else would do the deed.

So go talk to the neighbor, explain the situation. Send him the trail cam photos. If he gets belligerant, call the cops and show them your photos, have them talk to him.

Blackjack -- the bad part is -- I am a guest on this property.But what awesome property when a dog is not being on my salt block. crazy.gif

Dahitman, Cabelas or many sporting goods stores should carry it. Just make sure you can get something with a long stream of spray. And don't try this with a strong wind blowing at you. lol. Then the joke would be on you.

"A dog won't run on a full belly."

How about setting up a "bait" pile for the doggies in a distant corner of the property during hunting season. Make sure it's something the dog owners will like smirk.gif.

how about a bee-bee gun to the a$$. That would send him running and will not leave a mark, just an idea.

mr

Dog update --

A buddy of mine went out there opening morning. He was in his stand before dark and about daybreak one of the muts walked up to him in the stand. He then barked at him for over an hour straight from 20 yards.

He said it took a lot of talking to himself to NOT shoot him. This same dog actually bite a neighbor kid. Going to be trouble all year with that one.

I talked to a gal that works for me and her hubby is going to let me hunt out at his grandmas place. No gos and fresh deer tracks, so that is good.

I was at the Twins games this weekend and I was really upset about missing opener -- i guess it worked out -- Twins lost -- and my buddy got barked at.

Yikes.

If you are going to try some form of deterrment, lethal or none, I wouldn't tell the dog owner. If you do, you will be the suspect if something does happen to their dog. I might kindly tell them that dogs in the woods during hunting season can be very unhealthy for the dogs. Not that you are planning on doing anything to the dogs. I would definitely try the pepper spray. As for the BB gun, last year a guy in Stewartville shot the neighborhood dog with a BB gun, he is facing charges and lawsuits. Granted, it was a chihuaha, but still, you never know. Good luck.

Quote:

If you are going to try some form of deterrment, lethal or none, I wouldn't tell the dog owner. If you do, you will be the suspect if something does happen to their dog. I might kindly tell them that dogs in the woods during hunting season can be very unhealthy for the dogs. Not that you are planning on doing anything to the dogs. I would definitely try the pepper spray. As for the BB gun, last year a guy in Stewartville shot the neighborhood dog with a BB gun, he is facing charges and lawsuits. Granted, it was a chihuaha, but still, you never know. Good luck.

96trigger,

good point regarding charges for shooting the dog. I was just assuming it was a larger dog that could take a low pressure bb to the butt.

mr

I talked to some of the other hunters in the area and they werte very upset and worried to hear about the dog. One of the guys said they would talk to the owners and remind them to keep the dog tied up and what the "rules" are if the dog is seen chasing deer in the woods.