• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nuisance Bear

UMDSportsman

Just got word this morning from my mom that when i go home this weekend for archery opener i have to set up a bear bait in the woods behind our house. We have had a small bear come into our back yard probably 5 times this fall tipping over our bird feeders and making a mess of them. It is a small bear probably one that just got kicked off the sow. Luckily we are in the no quota area and i think my mom will be the one to buy the license and shoot it (hopefully). it is either stop feeding the birds or shoot the bear, we were hoping he would quit coming in, but last night he was back. Earlier this fall we got pictures and we were home, in the yard, and it seemed not to be too afraid. this should be fun.

I would just stop using the bird feeders for a couple months, stop the food supply, it will move on. Let the bear grow up then hunt it, but to just shoot it, because it found a source of food shouldnt be its doom.

I totally agree! I understand animals can be bothersom, but it wouldnt be right to kill an animal just because it found some food in a not so great spot. The birds will come back, or likely still be there if you should take down the feeders for a few months. Please do not kill the bear, its just not the best way to go about the situation!

deadminnowcatcher- thanks for the offer, but my mom got a license and will hopefully get the bear. i think this is the only time she would go bear hunting. my family has bear hunted in the past and she never wanted to then. now that the bait is right next to her deer stand, she is going to give it a shot. I would like to see her shoot a bear, i think she would be pretty proud, even if it is a small one.

Quote:

deadminnowcatcher- thanks for the offer, but my mom got a license and will hopefully get the bear. i think this is the only time she would go bear hunting. my family has bear hunted in the past and she never wanted to then. now that the bait is right next to her deer stand, she is going to give it a shot. I would like to see her shoot a bear, i think she would be pretty proud, even if it is a small one.

Now that the bait is right next to her deer stand?

she has a box stand that we built for her a couple years ago. she is not very comfortable in portable stands, which is what we used when we bear hunted in the past.

Just remeber that you can not hunt deer from the "deerstand" if there is bait there. Only BEAR.

I venture to say that there are some who have a bow and a .357 who say they are bear hunting, but when a nice deer comes out they shoot it.

I would be the only one who would bow hunt and it is a pain to try to shoot a bow out of that stand. i am at school and don't plan on going home until the bear season is actually over. i have better spots around home to bow hunt from than that stand. Sorry about calling it a deer stand, that is the only thing it has been used for until now, habbit. "Bearstand" how about that.

Tealitup- a agree with you that there are those people out that would shoot the deer, but i am not one of them, and i am not the one who is actually bear hunting.

UMD, never said you were; nor did I think you would. It was more of a reminder to all. Sorry if I gave that impression.

On a side note, If you mother wants to go bear hunting and she has never went - I say go for it - maybe she will get to like it and go again next year. Or, talk to her grandchildren and get them involved in hunting.