Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PRFISHER

Underwood's Finest!!!!!

12 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why the Da Ranger didn't get in the pictures...

Made the AP wire yippy!!!

This article is on the star and trib website, some great pictures

UNDERWOOD, Minn. — Firefighters in the western Minnesota town of Underwood weren't quite sure what to expect when they got the call: A donkey had fallen down an abandoned well and was trapped.

Firefighters quickly realized that the donkey, that belonged to farmer Warren Gundberg who lived about a mile away, couldn't be pulled from the abandoned well on Bryan Nelson's land.

So they started pulling away earth with a Bobcat tractor and dismantling the well block by block on Thursday.

Once the west wall of the well had been taken apart, firefighters put a harness around the donkey and guided it out with a rope.

"Whatever it takes,'' Nelson said as he watched his well come down. "I love animals and I'm just glad it's OK.''

Underwood Fire Chief Bruce Huseth said he's rescued cows that have fallen through the ice, but never a trapped donkey. It appeared the donkey wandered away from its farm and onto some boards covering the well, which broke, he said.

The donkey had some bruises and lost some fur where it rubbed against the concrete walls of the well, but was otherwise fine.

After the animal was out and eating eat grass in a neighbor's yard, Gundberg led it home with a makeshift leash.

"I bet you'll think twice about doing that again,'' he said to the donkey. "If you would have stayed home you wouldn't be in this trouble.

Underwood is about 10 miles east of Fergus Falls in western Minnesota.

I love the photo in the journal. That could be used for sooooo many things at work. Guys here are already refering to guy who gets the lousy job as the "Donkey in the well"

Without a picture, there is no story.

donkeyweb_t590.jpg

Pretty scary there are holes/wells like that around still.

Phew! When I first heard the story I was concerned about my good buddy, and I pictured this..

Glad the donkey is ok. grin.gif

Jerky.jpg

So you hear an a$$ falls down the well and you assume it's me? I bet you were worried...No one to show you how to catch fish anymore.. grin.gif

Hey, you said it. grin.giflaugh.gif

I was jolted out a solid sleep last night when I heard a familiar voice coming over the television news (KSTP). It was the Underwood fire chief!

This morning, I googled it and the story is in a LOT of newpapers and websites across the country. I love it!

Cover on Yahoo's page. laugh.gif Underworld made headlines!

Well, I see in today's Star Tribune that PETA had given the Underwood Fire Department kudos for their donkey rescue.

Don't worry, I wont tell them what you guys do with your spare time when you are not on rescue missions.... wink.gif

Can someone ask these guys to show up in camo w/ duck calls and deer antlers to the awards ceremony? Maybe turn down the PETA "award?"

There is no ceremony and beleive me it has crossed my mind to turn it down...