Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swedishpimple

Anybody use Carb/Choke cleaner to clean a gun??

7 posts in this topic

Last night I decided it was time to get the Canadian from a beaver lodge out of my Baikal. In the field I washed this gun out on the lake, at the cabin I took it appart and used my favorite Hoppes products.

After that outing I shot over 500 rounds through it a bachelor parties and pheasant hunts. Enough is enough.....it needed a complete tear down.

After burning up a million Q-tips i figured there must be a better way, hummm I use starting fluid and carb/choke cleaner to clean parts...so why not clean my gun???

Thats what I did. Tore it all down and blasted it out w/ the choke cleaner. It worked great, I then wiped it out and lubbed her up.

You may not want to do this on a gun you really value, but it sure works great on inexpensive Baikals or an 870 Express type gun.

I have had good luck with brake clean! Cleans well, leaves no film and dries fast.

Far and few I have to use it, but if gun os dropped in water or swamp. Q-tips would take for ever. grin.gif

There is a product on the market called Gun Scubber that works extremely well. It is a solvent/degreaser. I highly recommend it.

I second the brake clean, I would stay away from starting fluid, strong fumes, and very explosive. And as shack said most good quality brake clean wont leave a film.

Just don't get any on your stock or plastic parts.

I wouldn't worry about composite stocks. I have blasted many M-16's with carb cleaner and have had great luck passing inspections afterward. The Army is now using a solvent bath to clean its weapons freeing up a soldier to have more time for more training. I wouldn't be afraid of using it when you need to do that deep clean.

I use break cleaner which is different from carb cleaner, the brake cleaner will take the finish off the stock. It workds great when you can take out the trigger assembly and blow out the reciever. Gun scrubber works good but you get more and the cost is less if you go with the brake cleaner or carb cleaner. I use it all the time.