Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
HunterLee

Goose Beard- more pics and story.

HunterLee    0
HunterLee

This is the full story from Matt:

Story:

This canadian goose was shot about 9 miles northeast of Ada, MN on 09/13/07 during a morning hunt in the Olson-Agassiz Wildlife Managment Area. I was hunting with my co-worker Chris Lee and his Lab Zoey. The lone goose came into the decoys, and as soon as I shot it, I could tell there was something different with this bird. As the dog was making the retreive, my first thoughts was that I had just harvested a goose with a neckband. Those thoughts quickly changed when the bird came into the canoe.

We joked that the goose had a thyriod problem, but after examining the defect, we found it was just a thin cord hanging from the chin, with black feathers that resembled another neck and white chest of another body. If you grab it it just feels like a soft ball of feathers, there is no growth or tumor inside. The odd appendage measures about 6 inches in length.

Still pretty new to the waterfowl scene, I have only been hunting ducks and geese for about 5 years now, and I have never seen nor heard of anything being shot like this. My friends and I have named this the Bearded Goose

Garret Johnson of Get-R-Done Taxidermy in St. Hilaire will be mounting the Goose

th_Grouse_035.jpg

th_Grouse_019.jpg

th_Grouse_020.jpg

th_Grouse_032.jpg

th_Grouse_037.jpg

Tippman    0
Tippman

It's a goose gobbler!!

jblabsnduck    0
jblabsnduck

Looks like it is just a birth defect.

Is that a cackler??? sure looks like one.

I would have taken it to a taxidery guy to see if it could have been mounted.

Most birds are not mountable in the ealry season.

Scott M    3
Scott M

That thing is awesome!

HUNTFISH69    0
HUNTFISH69

That'd be a good one for a wall, first i've ever seen like that

bassman222    0
bassman222

I would throw that ugly thing away! Another week of incubation and that goose would have two heads!

shae1986    0
shae1986

Wow chris thats weird.

Borch    318
Borch

Looks like it's part "Goat"! laugh.gif

HunterLee    0
HunterLee

bump- for story and pics

tealitup    1
tealitup

Very cool; must have grown up near a nuclear plant or close to 3M's water source smile.gif

Very nice post. Thanks and good luck

WAG416    0
WAG416

Thanks Chris. Hopefully we can find some more chemically altered geese when you come this way to Hendrum.

HunterLee    0
HunterLee

No kidding if we are lucky mabe we will get a bearded dove or grouse. Hope you are smacking them tonight later.

lanyard    0
lanyard

What did the opposite side cheek look like? If that thing got sheared along side the head and the flap maintained blood flow, maybe, and the cheek grew back?

Just throwing in an alternative to the Timothy Leary theory cool.gif

Gordie    0
Gordie

ZZ-TOP would be proud . that goose is a trophy inits self. cool.

ole matty    0
ole matty

Quote:

ZZ-TOP would be proud . that goose is a trophy inits self. cool.

grin.gifgrin.gif

WAG416    0
WAG416

Quote:

What did the opposite side cheek look like? If that thing got sheared along side the head and the flap maintained blood flow, maybe, and the cheek grew back?

Just throwing in an alternative to the Timothy Leary theory
cool.gif

I wish I would have taken a photo showing the other side, the "beard" so to speak, hangs off the right side of the chin a little more. The rest of the head appeared to be normal. But it hardly feels like a flap, it is more like a cord under all those feathers.