Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin_for_the_Family

Pool #4 help

7 posts in this topic

Hi all... I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts on this forum. My family and I have just moved to Lake City from Idaho and I have been having fun trying out some new water. I have stayed in the main pool of Lake Pepin for the most part but I'm ready to expand my search... Even though there are allot of fish to catch right here.

I would love to keep my lower unit attached to my outboard and wanted to see if anyone has any insight to those wing dams down by Wabasha... Any tips besides gluing my eyes to my depth finder and check out things real slowly? Are they marked and maybe how deep are they? Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks Rob

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota and Hot Spot Outdoors. great to have you with us. smile.gif I will let some that have been there more than I to answer your questions.

A good map chip for your GPS will have them marked. Navionics has a good map for the river.

You can also download the river maps from USACE or buy the entire book.

mw

Many of the wing dams are marked by the red & green channel buoys. But here are the guidelines:

#1 Not every buoy is marking a wing dam

#2 Not every wing dam is marked with a buoy

#3 Man of the chutes off the main channel have closing dams across the face of them, some are deep, some very shallow

#4 You are pretty much safe between the buoys, about the only thing to hit in the main channel is floating debris

#5 No matter how good of paper map or map chip you have, it will not have all the wing dams shown

So take it slow when you are outside the main channel buoys. Also, you can often see wing dams if it is not too windy by studying the current breaks, it is usually best to approach a wing dam from down stream, that way if its too shallow the current pushes you off of it, rahter then on to it wink.gif

Also there is a Map Book of SE MN that has pretty decent river maps that show many of the Wing dams and closing dams

Thank you all for your responses... How is the current on average? Would an average electric trolling motor be strong enough to hold you in place. I'm used to the Snake River pushing you downstream if I would get to close the edge of an eddy, even on full thrust, and having to be careful not to run into huge submerged rocks as I'm pushed downstream? I'm just trying to be prepared... Thanks again Rob

The current and flow is very slow right now

Thanks again for the info....

Rob