Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin_for_the_Family

Pool #4 help

7 posts in this topic

Hi all... I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts on this forum. My family and I have just moved to Lake City from Idaho and I have been having fun trying out some new water. I have stayed in the main pool of Lake Pepin for the most part but I'm ready to expand my search... Even though there are allot of fish to catch right here.

I would love to keep my lower unit attached to my outboard and wanted to see if anyone has any insight to those wing dams down by Wabasha... Any tips besides gluing my eyes to my depth finder and check out things real slowly? Are they marked and maybe how deep are they? Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks Rob

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota and Hot Spot Outdoors. great to have you with us. smile.gif I will let some that have been there more than I to answer your questions.

A good map chip for your GPS will have them marked. Navionics has a good map for the river.

You can also download the river maps from USACE or buy the entire book.

mw

Many of the wing dams are marked by the red & green channel buoys. But here are the guidelines:

#1 Not every buoy is marking a wing dam

#2 Not every wing dam is marked with a buoy

#3 Man of the chutes off the main channel have closing dams across the face of them, some are deep, some very shallow

#4 You are pretty much safe between the buoys, about the only thing to hit in the main channel is floating debris

#5 No matter how good of paper map or map chip you have, it will not have all the wing dams shown

So take it slow when you are outside the main channel buoys. Also, you can often see wing dams if it is not too windy by studying the current breaks, it is usually best to approach a wing dam from down stream, that way if its too shallow the current pushes you off of it, rahter then on to it wink.gif

Also there is a Map Book of SE MN that has pretty decent river maps that show many of the Wing dams and closing dams

Thank you all for your responses... How is the current on average? Would an average electric trolling motor be strong enough to hold you in place. I'm used to the Snake River pushing you downstream if I would get to close the edge of an eddy, even on full thrust, and having to be careful not to run into huge submerged rocks as I'm pushed downstream? I'm just trying to be prepared... Thanks again Rob

The current and flow is very slow right now

Thanks again for the info....

Rob

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• airnuts
      Managed a 17 and 22 incher while slip bobbering with leeches on a 21 foot reef. Hope the success continues.
    • slammer
      Looks like weather has finally calmed down.  Are they getting fish on the riggers also?
    • JBMasterAngler
      I don't. However, in the rare instance that I'm not catching trout near the surface, I'll use small flicker shads or shad raps. 
    • monstermoose78
      Been working on the double and triple retrieves. Finn is starting to get the bumper I send him to get, but he likes to get the closest one.
    • Rick
      A portion of one of the last and largest wooded areas in Dakota County has been permanently protected as a state wildlife management area through the collaborative efforts of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Dakota County and the nonprofit conservation group Friends of the Mississippi River.  Photo courtesy of Tom Reiter for Friends of the Mississippi River The new Hampton Woods Wildlife Management Area consists of 191 acres of oak forest that will be managed by the DNR for wildlife habitat and public hunting. Located about four miles east of Farmington off state Hwy. 50, it’s the only forest for miles around in a largely agricultural landscape. The area is home to a number of rare species such as the red-shouldered hawk, as well as more common game species including deer, turkeys and squirrels. Each spring, the forest floor blossoms with wildflowers. First identified by the DNR as an ecologically significant area worthy of protection in the mid-1990s, Hampton Woods also was ranked highly in Dakota County’s 2002 Farmland and Natural Areas Protection Plan. A few years ago, Friends of the Mississippi River helped several landowners contact the county to discuss the potential sale of their land. After purchasing 24 acres from Joan Uselmann and Mary and Glen Bakalars, and 167 acres from the estate of Rose Kuntz, Dakota County recently transferred ownership to the DNR. “This is a beautiful area of Dakota County that will now be preserved and publicly accessible for future generations,” said Dakota County Board of Commissioners Chairman Mike Slavik, who represents the district where the new WMA is located. “Many people and organizations made this possible, and we are very thankful for their many contributions and collaboration.” DNR regional wildlife manager Cynthia Osmundson praised the partnership that protected the area. “This new WMA is especially important because it not only protects an important and relatively rare forest area, it also provides close-to-home public hunting opportunities in the metro region,” she said. “Transactions like this can be complex and drawn out, and we’re very fortunate to have good partners like Dakota County and Friends of the Mississippi River.” The acquisition was paid for with $540,800 from the Outdoor Heritage Fund, as appropriated by the Minnesota State Legislature, and $197,700 in Dakota County funds. The Outdoor Heritage Fund was created in 2008 when Minnesota voters passed a constitutional amendment dedicating a portion of sales taxes to restore, protect, and enhance fish and wildlife habitat. Friends of the Mississippi River also has received a $133,000 grant from the Environment and Natural Resource Trust Fund, as recommended by the Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources, to conduct management activities in the WMA, such as removal of non-native invasive species like buckthorn. Friends of the Mississippi River previously developed a natural resource management plan for the site with financial assistance from the Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union, Southern Dakota County Sportsmen’s Club, Wild Turkey Federation, Hastings Environmental Protectors, Winter Wheat Foundation, and Pheasants Forever – Dakota Ringnecks Chapter. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • PSU
      Was up Tuesday until this morning (Frazer / Smart Bay) and wow was the walleye fishing slow for me. Was out Wednesday / Thursday mornings from 7:30-10:00 ish and nary a walleye bite in all my usual spots. Tried a bit in the afternoons as well, but not too serious.    Hope everyone else is having better luck!!    
    • curt quesnell
      Getting these big fish back in the water as soon as possible is important in summer heat.    
    • MinDak Hunter
      Thanks guys! JB-how do you get the Mepps down deep?
    • rundrave
      I know its not attached to you. But the issue is with it being attached to the dog and if its running full speed and it gets caught on something. The injuries can occur when its a sudden stop and the collar around the neck is pulled hard from the weight of the dog.   Sounds like to you need to get back to the basics with the check cord and get back to sit, stay and come. You can work her with the check cord in a hallway at home with the doors closed, then move to a larger  grassy area etc. Keep the sessions short and praise, praise and praise some more when she comes back when called.   You never want to give a command you cant enforce and that's where the check cord comes in handy. We have all been there before. But if your not confident with her in the water next to a road you need to go back and revisit those commands and how to enforce them until she is ready. its just not worth risking injury.   You have to make the retrieving fun and if she doesn't bring it back your done for that session, and then she doesn't get to retrieve. Let her see you put the dummy away and then start another session at a later time. Praise, praise and praise when she does it correctly.   Dogs will pick up on your body language frustrations etc.  Just takes lots of reps and keep them short and be positive and she will get there.
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      I actually don't have that long leash attatched to me. Its 100' I believe and the only reason I leave it on her is because Round Lake is right by a busy road so if she wants to bolt after a rabbit or something I can quickly grab that leash. Also sometimes she'll grab the dummy and want to swim around with it so I give a few tugs to let her know her job is to bring it to me, not swim in circles. It's just a safety measure because she isn't quite ready for fully off leash training just yet. I almost never actually need to grab it.    Thanks for the advice though, the last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt a dog, especially mine. I never throw the dummy past where it's safe to walk so if she did get it wrapped in cattails or something and got stuck I'd quickly get her.