Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calli4120

Looking for info on Sleeper Ice house Rentals

5 posts in this topic

**I posted this in the ice fishing section but was given the suggestion to post it in the regional sections for better ideas.***

I'm planning a hard water fishing trip for me and 5-7 friends. I'm looking for advice or suggestions on places to go. We are in the cities and expect to make a roadtrip out of it and would like to go a little farther then Milacs. I've been thinking about Winni, Vermilion, or Rainy although Devils Lake in ND is an option but may be out of our price range. I would like to keep the cost fairly low as some of the guys, including myself, have families with young children and are on a pretty tight budget. Its probably going to be a 3 day trip with 2 nights spent on the ice. A couple of guys are going to bring their portables for some mobile day time fishing.

Now that I have kind of given you an overview of our plans, where are good places to go? Where have you stayed and had good experiences? Does anyone offer a single house large enough to sleep 5-8 guys?

I have checked out some of the sponsors that help with this site and even though I would like to help support them, I don't want to limit my choices to just them. This may become an annual event for us so I'm hoping to find just the right place.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Hey Adam,

Won't find any sleeper rentals here on Rainy unless there are new ones for this year. No night bite to speak of other than Pout! Give me a shout! mr_rainy1@yahoo.com. I might have some ideas for you. I have a real nice day shack plus multiple otter portables!

RD

Adam,

You guys would be better off renting hotel room or a lodge room from Woody or another one of the fine establishments on the lake. For a few reasons.

1) As Daze has mentioned there are no sleeper houses on Rainy.

2) You are going to benefit from being mobile on Rainy Lake. Sand Bay(where the roads are plowed) is good, but fish can be small at times. American Narrows is good(but more of an evening bite)...taking snowmobiles to the eastern parts of the lake however is quite the adventure that will have you begging for more. Great scenery and good fishing on the reefs all day long! Can't quite ask for anything better than that. And if you see another person ice fishing in that direction it will be a mircale!

Rainy is a great fishery in the winter time and not alot of people realize that. I believe that we have so much more to offer than most of the other lakes. We have an excellent size structure of walleye, northern, and crappie in the lake, plus we have scenery that is unparralled.

If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to post them here. We will be more than happy to assist you in your quest for the perfect ice fishing destination!!

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

That is some good advice guys and is exactly what I was looking for.

The same group of guys took a summer camping and fishing trip to Rainy last summer so we are familiar with how beautiful the area is. Unfortunately that trip wasn't very productive for fishing since the weather didn't cooperate.

Staying at a lodge is a good idea but we could really do that anywhere and I was hopping to give the guys an experiance that most of them have never had staying in a sleeper. The other advantage of a sleeper is that when this group is together, things can be a little rowdy and it would be better if we were away from other people. blush.gif

Thanks again,

Adam

Lake of the Woods down the road is an option with plenty of sleepers, many you can drive to. Great fishing, maybe get 2 huts nearby to one another. No where near as scenic as Rainy till you get wayout. Sounds like your crew is rowdy and you could hit some close to lake bar/grill spots for a change of scenery thru beer goggles or something if bored or hungry at nite! URL you might enjoy as well?