• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Cutting Charts For The Do It Your Selfer.

Shack

deercuttingchartgood81301.gif

deer%20muscle%20pix.gif

deercuttingdiagramphoto92901.gif

venisoncuttingchartopti36kb.jpg

Above are some charts on were to cut deer. Others and My self can help with any further questions. If I do not know, I can find out. I will post more info as I get is.

Deer processing is easy. For the beginner, it is trial and error. For around $15-$40 you can get enough paper, freezer tape and knives to do it your self. After you learn how to do it, it can save you hundreds of dollars and give you a little more to talk about with buddies.

I also make my own jerky and sausage as well. This is were I have saved my self some serious money over the years. For around $200-$300 dollars, one can get grinder, casings, spices, propane smoker and almost every thing to make sausage for years.

Good luck!

Great post Shack.. I have been cutting up my deer myself for quite a few year.. I only do steaks and burger and stew... the burger then gets used to make jerky and well... burger.. LOL... I got a smoker last year and cant wait to give some sausage a try this year.

Great post Shack. smile.gif I have been doing my own venison for years. This will sure be of some help to newbie's to doing it themselves.

First, I prep area. I will take a piece of 4'x8' plywood or chip board and wrap in clean poly plastic and staple to back. Then I will set this up on two saw horses to make a cutting table. I gather my knives, clean board for cutting, freezer paper wrap, freezer tape, permanent marker and plastic garbage bags.

Second, I prep deer for skinning. One can hang deer from neck or rear legs. I prefer rear legs. After I hang deer in area close to cutting table, I start by cutting skin around rear leg ankles. Slice skin down thigh of deer (be careful not to cut deep into meat or muscles). Once clean cuts have been made, pull down on loose skin. Use knife to slice area between skin and meat. It is very easy going at this point! Follow deer’s torso down to front legs. Repeat same process for front legs as you did the rear legs. At this point, you have exposed the deer’s inner neck. Peel skin as for forward to head as possible. Use hacksaw to saw threw neck (clean blade). At this point discard deer hide and head. To clean loose hair off of dear meat, use propane or map gas torch. Burn all or any loose pieces of hair (this will get in meat if not done correctly). Once this is done, cut with hacksaw the front lower hooves off of deer and discard. At this point (I am by my self), I will lower deer to cutting table. Hang rear legs off of table and cut off with hacksaw.

Now you are ready to start cutting from one end or another, the different parts of meat off of deer. I start with back straps and work from there. I use the garbage bags to throw unwanted parts of deer into, but do not start tossing every thing away. Every scrape piece of meat should be tossed into a separate plastic garbage bag and saved for hamburger or sausage. As you take different cuts of meat off of dear, place the same cuts of meat in the same pile on table. Once you have made all the cuts on the deer, discard carcass. At this point you can start to wrap the meat. Once you do a couple, you will know how much paper is needed. Place meat in center of square piece of freezer paper towards you a little bit. Fold in both sides and bottom of paper. Roll meat in paper away from you until end of paper. It takes a couple of tries to perfect this. One could open “a wrapped pieces of meat” from last year to figure out how it is done. tape paper down with freezer tape. Now, mark outside of freezer paper with permanent marker on to what cut of meat is inside and date it was wrapped. Put stuff in freezer when done and send scrape off to meat market for sausage of hamburger.

This a very basic over view on how this is done. I know others have many good ideas on how to it better.

Good luck!

Thanks guys!

I figured with the meat store post going, this would help some follow FM'ers in the ultimate sportsman’s quest (do everything your self). It also shows it can be done. I find things like this satisfying and self gratifying and why blow money one does not have to spend.

I would also suggest my fellow FM’ers to check out books on this subject. Most all big sporting goods stores have them and libraries to.

Again, good luck!

I am very blessed,1 member of our hunting party is a former butcher. Every year he gets to retrain us in the art of butchering our own deer. We all get together after a day of hunting in a old milkhouse converted into a butcher shop, enjoy a few adult beverages,and fire up the grill for fresh tenderloins. Even though it is alot of work, it is a part of deer hunting that I would never miss.I may have to get a new pair of rubber boots for this year, IT can get pretty deep by the end of the night, if you know what I mean.

I shotgun and slug local, so when I process my deer I am alone.

Now! Most of buddies hunt up north and after the first week, I get a couple of phone calls. If you have 3-4 deer, 3-4 guys and a couple of gals for wrapping, things go quick.

There is always food and beer! Once a couple go down be careful, either the B.S. is being cut or your finger.

Funny, you get a couple of guys together on a deer cutting party and the contest starts. Who can cut the fastest.

Its is almost as fun as deer camp. If one has not tried it, they should. Worst thing that could happen is you end up with alot of hamburger grin.gif

I totally agree that processing one's own game is one of the true achievements for a hunter. It saves a ton of money and gives you an appreciation of the work involved. I hear people complain about the cost or time to have someone else process the deer. Once you do it its not that hard and you save a lot of money.

Personally I like to quarter my deer before the deboning begins. Its a little easier to handle a single leg at a time. Also if you're not able to do the entire process at once you can store quarters in a fridge or large cooler. Last year a buddy and I did 3 deer (2 large does and a yearling) over 2 nights with a total of 7-8hrs involved. Last year we decided to buy a food saver vacuum sealer and thats been great. It creates a job for those who don't like cutting meat or dealing with blood. That person also gets the fun job of labeling the meat. You can only write "steaks" on a bag so many times before you have to think of something funny and creative. Also someone gets to cook up some fresh meat with onions and mushrooms.

The next step is a grinder and a smoker. Its in the works so we'll see.

If you'd like to learn how just ask. I know if I'm available I would come by. Its like teaching someone how to hunt in the first place. Once you know how its worth the effort. You also know that you are always getting your own meat back from the deer you shot.

Great info Powerstroke!

Yes, once you have skinned deer and get on table, quarter deer.

This does make things much easier!

Here are some pics of my stuff I have collected over the years for deer processing!

Here is my sportsmen corner!

3obx6nruc9kmIuLnnpZo4lO6e-eqkzsv0300.jpg

Here is my boy Dylon! He had to get in picture! He wants to sign up under his own screen name!

XxZWVl5dnxjPHhgEvePJfvoLs979bkSZ0300.jpg

Here is how I store all of my processing gear. Grinder and wood chips stay sterial and it keeps all stuff fresh from year to year. I still have some quarters from last year, that will be turn into sausage this year

kcNH3VmBNVM3Ot7xS9ZFAplHfWCgkb-m0300.jpg

Here is my smoker! It is from walmart and was purchased at a good price! It is propane! Helps regulate heat for long periods of time. Charcol burns out after awhile

9mOoyBt5AgbJ4qlthIWWFpk7uLySyvUl0300.jpg

Here is the end result! All this talk about deer, I had to cook some up on my new grill for dinner tonight. That is what is cooking

3vdWhNisx8xNaCqSFRsncVAQ36yA7OtT0300.jpg

OH! I forgot. If one does grind his own hamburger, one must have a scale to weigh out proper amounts of meat for packaging or sausage casing!

dF7ZJCs43OgsJjjlGzq5Tu3VFno0jdx30300.jpg

when we have quartered a deer we usually leave bone in and just put them in plastic bags but i have noticed some freezer burn?

i have never tried the white paper packaging should i de bone and wrap in plastic then in the white paper and label.

thats all i need help with and where can i get the wrapping paper. thanks

If your talking about freezer paper one can purchase rolls at your grocery store. I have bought the bigger rolls from the local locker plant also. In the last years I have rerally started to use a vacumn sealer for as much meat as possible but still do some in the freezer paper.

Safety for CWD. Don't cut into the brain or backbone or spine. Also, if you can, cut out the deers lymphnodes. If you do not know where to locate them, look on the internet or talk to your local butcher. Once you know the locations, really easy to cut out. Just an added precaution in regards to CWD.

Also, dont forget to trim out the tenderlions as this is some of the best meat out of the deer next to the backstraps.

Good info Shack!!!

I've been looking around for some oversize cutting boards, something big enough to hold a full quarter on. Anybody know where to find some?

I also used a vacumn packer last year, it works slick.

What I really need to work on is the different cuts of meat, its hard to figure out how to cut up the quarters and make them look 'professional'.

My next step is going to be to get a grinder, and build or buy a smoker. Some of those grinders come with stuffer attachements, does the stuffer portion work very well?

I'm not sure where to find a large cutting board, but I'm aware of people buying large sheets of the thicker materiel at home stores and cutting a custom size. I'm blanking on the material but I'm sure if you went to menards or depot they could help you out.

Personally I don't use anything that is specific to butchering. I use a large fillet knife for most of it now. It works fantastic because its very sharp and easy to handle. We burn the hair off, but I keep a bowl of water around for rinsing meat off.

Freezer paper and freezer tape can be found at your grocery store. I know we've found it at Cub and Rainbow. With freezer paper you're limited to 6-12months of freezer time without burning, it depends on your wrap job. With vacuum sealers you're good for 2-3yrs easily. Obviously if you get one deer a year then you don't have to keep meat for 2 yrs, but if oyu're collecting meat scraps to make a batch of sausage or something than having it around for a year or two can be helpful.

Black,

I would look for a large plastic board for cutting. I use a couple smaller 1’ x 2’ boards 3/8” thick or so.

Vacuum packing is in the works! Most of my buddies have gone this direction and like Powerstroke and Harvey stated it is a great tool.

Cutting meat takes practice. Stay even and straight. I can try to find a little more info on this and post it.

The Grinder I bought was from Northern Tool! You can look on line and see what they have. I went with a pretty heavy duty one, because a light duty grinder is very slow and takes for ever. It came with all the stuff needed for sausage stuffing any size casings. It works very well!

CWD is something we all have to think about. The only time I cut into spine is when removing head. This is why I hang dear from rear legs. Gravity helps keep matter out of carcass and head drops clean away. Clean saw blade after! I know every year there is one guy who likes to stab deer when it is hanging or in a pinch, one would stab knife into deer while he/she is handle something else. Be careful not to poke spine with knife tip. When you are cutting around spine, be careful not to cut into it. The chances are extremely rare, I mean extremely rare, but it is out their. Like Harvey lee said, talk with local butcher or go on line. I will see if I can find any info on line and post!

Good luck!

I still have deboning Knives from when I was at Nowthen Meats! But like Powerstroke said, a fillet knife works great. Virtually, there is no difference in the two knives. The deboning knife maybe a little thicker. I keep them razor sharp and sharpen often when cutting.

In recent years for cutting quarters and other stuff, we have been using a Saws All. I forgot about this, but it works great! Makes things fly by that much quicker! Clean. clean, clean! One can not stress this enough!

PDF file from New Mexico State Uni. Very Good cutting info!!!!!!

CWD PDF for proper cutting from Uni of Wis. Good info

Live Weight, Field Dressed, yield of meat

100lbs= 80lbs= 45lbs

150lbs= 125lbs= 68lbs

200lbs= 160lbs= 84lbs

The above information is some good info to get a beginner going. The above chart helps you know how much meat you should end up with. You could print out info and have on hand for when you start processing.

Again,

Good luck!

When one is done cutting the meat its always good to clean the knife up good. I know for years many just wiped it clean but with bacteria and CWD here's a little extra to keep clean.

Put 4-5 oz of Hilex in a gallon of water and let your knives soak for a day.

da_chise31,

Here ya go! Can not forget the Oysters grin.gif

Fried Venison Rocky Mountain Oysters

2 pounds Venison testicles

1 cup flour

1/4 cup cornmeal

1 cup red wine

salt

black pepper

garlic powder

Louisiana Hot Sauce

pure hog lard or vegetable oil

With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each "oyster." Remove the skin. Set "oysters" into a pan with enough salt water to cover them for one hour (this takes out some of the blood). Drain. Transfer "oysters" to large pot. Add enough water to float "oysters" and a generous tablespoon of vinegar. Parboil, drain and rinse. Let cool and slice each "oyster" into 1/4 inch thick ovals. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of sliced "oyster" to taste. Mix flour, cornmeal and some garlic powder to taste in a bowl. Roll each "oyster" slice into this dry mixture. Dip into milk. Dip into dry mixture. Dip into wine quicky (you may repeat the procedure if a thicker crust is desired). Place each "oyster" into hot lard or oil. Add Louisiana Hot Sauce to lard or oil (go wild with it, buy watch out for hot splashes). Cook until golden brown or tender, and remove with a wire mesh strainer (the longer they cook, the tougher they get).

Home Made sausage directions. Sub beef for Venison! PDF from Uni of Conn.

I have done some searching and I figure this should be enough info to get anyone started in Meat processing.

Anyone that has more to add, please post. Do not hesitate to do so. The more info the better!

Good luck and I hope this helps!!!

shack, that one from the U of W is pretty good, very simple and straight forward with good pictures!! I've saved it off!

Now I need to get a deer to practice on!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Great information, have been doing my own for years but you always seem to pick up more good tips. After I take off the hind quarters and backstraps, I put in the freezer for a while until the meat stiffens up. It sure makes it alot easier to get nice uniform cut. Have any of you tried canned venison? A little time consuming but well worth the effort, it's always the first to get eaten.

Never tried it, but if you have some direction please post info. Always willing to try new things.

I do remember frozen meat cuts much better with saw at meat market! I would figure it would transfer over to cutting up quarters on a deer by knife!

Quote:

Great post Shack.
smile.gif
I have been doing my own venison for years. This will sure be of some help to newbie's to doing it themselves.

My exact thought

Quote:

I've been looking around for some oversize cutting boards, something big enough to hold a full quarter on. Anybody know where to find some?

I am in the sign business. We use a plastic sheet called PVC. It comes in 1/4" sheets 4' x 8' for about $60. Any plastic dealer can get it for you, or call a local sign shop. You can easily cut it any size you want. Or contact me at

[email protected]

I got a oversized cutting board a couple of years ago at either gander or cabelas. Unknown to me they were mismarked and got mine for $30. A friend went there a week later and they were all marked around 60-70. They work great though.