• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Advice on new pup

Sutty

I am looking at getting a pointing dog for the first time and was wondering if any had advice for me. From my current research I am thinking about getting either a Brittany or French Brittany.

I am looking for a close working pheasant dog that is also a great family dog. Currently I have a Lab but she isn't able to hunt anymore.

If you want a pointing dog, dont forget the setters!! I am biased, but the best family dogs I have ever seen are my Red Setters. I know someone with a litter on the ground right now.

A brit is a great choice. Do your homework up front and you should wind up with a great family dog and a top notch hunter.

A Brittany is a great choice. You do have to do a little homework if until you find a reputable breeder. I went with Ben's Brittany's out of Leroy Minnesota! I cannot say enough good things about our brit! He is a gentle, mellow indoor family dog and is shaping up to be a great field hunter! Don't let gender fool you with this breed. Males or females are pretty much even when it comes to hunting / affection. My brit shows his effection to everyone in the family but is not overly affectionate. If you want a good family / field dog my vote is for a brit.

reesepoint4xp5.th.jpg

It really depends on what you want to hunt and what type of cover. I am in love with Pointing Labs. I own one. A brit is a great dog but for some aplications not very good. For example. My pointing lab would be a poor choice for running quail down south where the dogs run a half mile away from the shooters to find coveys. On the other hand when it comes to cattails and roosters a brit is not the best choice. labs are the best choice for cattails and really thick cover. Also when a rooster falls in the water when its cold out with a lab no problem as you can also use them for waterfowl. Also Labs are outstanding family dogs. they love people and love the attention you can give them. There is no one dog fits all. What do you plan to hunt and what type of cover. If you are going to hunt grass/crp then a brit is just fine. Like i said they are good dogs!

I purchased a Brit this spring. He has been a great dog so far. Quite the personality, good learner, and great family dog. My daughter adores him, and I find myself rushing home most nights to work,train, play with him. grin.gif

I tend to hunt both crp and than bust through the cattails more as the season goes on. I have only hunted behind a Britt once and it was a treat. She seemed to squirt through the cattails OK. I know my wife would enjoy having a smaller dog and thats one of the reasons I was thinking about a French Britt since they are a touch smaller. But either way they would be smaller than our current Lab.

Female Red Setters are only going to be 35-40 lbs smile.gif Plus you would be getting one of the most unique pointing breeds wink.gif

I got a French Brit this past spring. Very quick learner and has been a great family/house dog. She is great with our kids and just loves attention.

My French Brit is about 7 months and weights about 32 lbs. Her parents were 29 and 36. So this is about her full weight I would guess.

A Brit shouldn't have any problem hunting in cattails. It'll just snake it's way through them instead of plowing through them.

I will second jstark, I got a britt form Ben 2 years ago and I couldnt ask for anything more. great family dog. the kids and Max are always playing. the kids could do anything to Max and all he would do is lick them. when it comes to hunting Max is all bussiness. we had him out hunting at the age of 5 months with many points. then last year (1 1/2years old) he started retreiving the birds with out any training.

If your looking for a britt I would check with Ben. there a great dog

Take a look at the German Shorthaired Pointers.

I have 2 and they are great.

Ok, I'm biased too.

Both are hard workers in the field, great with the kids and wonderful house dogs.

They vary in size depending on the parents.

Our younger one is a bit shorter and lighter than her mother and works closer.