Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trout_Slayer_77

Fishing Around Grand Portage

7 posts in this topic

I will be at a conference in Grand Portage the week of October 10. Are there any good spots to fish from shore on Lake Superior or other inland lakes nearby (off of the Reservation of course).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

There is lots of good water both on and off the reservation, you just need a tag to fish on the res(availible at the Grand Portage marina). The MN DNR has a map book availible at local ranger stations describing which lakes and rivers on the northshore and arrowhead have for certain trout/salmon species and best times. Rivers have been low but you might be able to find some trout or salmon, otherwise take a drive up the arrowhead and make a few casts at some boat landings,some guys do well with late season float tubing for brookies. You'll probably have the water to yourself cuz there are lots of grouse around as well. Good Luck,

redhooks

Craziest thing about Grand Portage....there are brook trout in the harbors. Where else can you fish a lake and have brook trout under someone's dock? Try that dock by the gas station just south of the Fur Post. I believe you need a tribal permit or something? Might be some Menominee Whitefish in there too.

That gas station is the fuel dock in the marina, the brookies have moved out of the bay now. It is also off limits to fishing unless you are a resident child of Grand Portage. This changed when people were filling pails with the brook trout that the reservation stocks every spring to provide the youth with a fishing experience close to home without the need for a boat. I would look to Trout Lake, Swamp river or the Pigeon River, which are on the reservation, that time of year. In October the big lake is too unpredictable weatherwise,unless you have some flexibility in your schedule, but the fishing is excellent. And we're only 5 miles from Michigan waters in an area where Lake Trout are open all year.

Thanks for all the info! Capt. Don, where are Trout Lake and the Swamp River, are they easily accessbile for shore fishing?

They are accessible from shore, Trout lake is back in the woods and there is a "road" to it, kind of rough, but with a pickup its ok. Swamp river crosses the Otter Lake Rd. which intersects the Arrowhead Trail.

Call me at 218-475-0024 or stop by the Voyageur dock when you get here, I've got local maps here that will make it easier.

Thanks Capt. Don, I will defintely do that when we get up there. Should be sometime the afternoon of October 8, thanks again!