Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Random guy

DNR boys are hardcore!

Random guy

Just so you guys can give these boys a thank you next time.

Six foot PLUS rollers with rouge waves all over the place super cold temps and every wave making spray. Only one boat braving the worst conditions, the DNR Fisheries boat out working up survey and study data. So next time you pull in a nice red lake walleye on a calm night thank those fishery boys that are most likely in traction today after the pounding they took doing their job.

Good job guys, we apprecaite it.

harvey lee

I agree Jonny. One is always willing to pick apart the DNR's efforts but we never think about all that they do for us.

Thanks to the DNR.

swedishpimple

Jonny P,

Was that the big Boston Whaler with the Merc on the back I saw fueling up in Bemidji?? She looked like she could take 12 footers.

Stan7600

We came by the river access Tues. AM and saw the DNR rig with empty trailer. The lake was Nasty! No other rigs were parked there that morning. They certainly earned their pay and have my respect. Stan C.

Random guy

Rumor has it they are out again today in what I would think is worse conditions yet. I drove by the lake and watched the canal markers going under as the rollers went by.

Granted they have a good boat for rough water but Red Lake waves are like no other, not to mention these guys are not out for a cruise they are working over the side of the boat all day.

The Donk

Quote:

Red Lake waves are like no other

grin.gifgrin.gif

Try telling me or anyone else that when I am on Mille Lacs and a wall front blows in blush.gif

Borch

Quote:

Quote:

Red Lake waves are like no other

grin.gifgrin.gif

Try telling me or anyone else that when I am on Mille Lacs and a wall front blows in blush.gif

Oh I have been in that situation on both lakes. Red gets the nod by a signiificant margin. Although both can be very impressive. Nothing like being in the trough of a wave and seeing nothing but a wall of water all around you.

Random guy

I’ll condense this best I can.

Red lake is a dishpan lake with over 1/2 mile shallow runs 6 feet or less before shoreline dispersion. What happens on red lake and a few other inland is a severe undertow along with tides (yes red lake has tides) below strong headlong crests. So not only do you have the force of the forward moving wave you have the reverse force under them. Now this is a bad deal on any shallow lake with long shallow spans. Take into consideration each wave truly is two waves in one. Due to the shallow water you have what is called a "breaking seas wave" this is the white cap you see and sadly is not the one that is going to get you. Now due to the shallow run and long fetches of Red Lake the water is trying to get back out creating a non breaking swell or wave not directly created from wind force but a current wave that makes the huge mound that never caps but consumes all the water in the trough. Now you have six feet of water depth and a non-breaking swell five feet tall, guess what no water in the trough, just sand. Down goes the stern stabbing the outboard into a death grip with the bottom as the bow comes up. The skeg is in the sand the bow is lifting on the swell and the watercraft is now stationary in a moving environment. Three things can happen, god smiles on you and the skeg come loose and you ride that wave, the bow rolls or sticks either way you are getting wet and the worst is the boat spins sideways and capsizes.

Granted Mille Lacs has some nasty stuff and will give you a lesson in short order although Red Lake offers a whole new hazard due to featureless yet unique long shallow runs and the fact it is shallow all the way across a lake that is lined up with the prevailing storm driven westerly winds.

Either way big boat or not the fishery boys have taken the lead in Red Lake wave busting.

Scott M

It's that time of the year...DNR large lake sampling around the state. Wind, rain, sleet, or hail they'll get their samples and their data.

kelly-p

I wonder what they do during their time off???? Crash test dummies??? grin.gifgrin.gif

The Donk

I guess you got me since I can't give you the inside specifics of the technical wave on ML, grin.gif Either way I wouldn't want to be out there... Props to the DNR boys, as with all surveyors, weather has no part in whether you get the job done

Mudcutter

Nice report on the dynamics of water with wind. The Edmund Fitzgerald went down with your same ideas, thou with a 25-35 ft rollers in less than 200ft of water with one heck of a fetch. It simply split in half when it was driven into the bottom, from what I have studied, thou no one knows for sure.