Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IASteve

Boat ramps on Rainy River

13 posts in this topic

We will be fishing Rainy River the 3rd week of Oct. I was wondering if the Franze Jevne ramp is accesible since it sounds like the river is low again like last year. Same question about Birchdale and Frontier.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Can't help you with Franze Jevne but Birchdale and Frontier should be accessible, just be careful not to drop your trailer wheels over the last slab of concrete. confused.gif

Thanks for the info CabinBoy.

Not sure if you know but Franz ramp is just a gravel affair and not suitable for a boat of any size.

Level is dropping but all ramps have been accessable in previous years in much lower levels, so have no fear.

FYI - Large shiners are reported in Rapid River. Looks like things should be jumpin' soon.

Thanks Dutchman, I appreciate the help.

Steve

See ya October 9th-12th Doug. Save me a big fat 33"er will ya? wink.gif

Started to say that any 33"er is going on my wall but had to backspace 'cause I'm going to take a quick measure & picture & release her and get a replica, just like you will.

For some reason, last October was really painfull with the number of upper 20" & 30" "trophies" that were kept by our customers. I know the thrill of the biggest eye of your life (I've been fortunate enough to catch mine in 1/2" increments, so I've had many thrills) but please consider that any fish under 30" may not really qualify as a trophy in a lot of circles and is it really worth killing ANY fish

in that range when replicas are so realistic?

I actually think there is an added honor in admitting that your mount is a replica and that she still swims the Rainy.

I agree with Doug, practice CPR, pictures look great hanging on the wall...

Well put Doug!!

A couple weeks ago a party asked if walleyes over 28" are of any reproductive value to the fishery. I was ready with my own opinion but questioned a fisheries biologist with 35 years experience. He said reproductive potential has much more to do with the health of the fish than with age. To illustrate his point, he told me of milking good eggs from several healthy females well in excess of the state record (no I'm not saying where!) and in contrast milking a small amount of poor eggs from 2-3 lb. walleyes in poor shape.

Beyond that if you consider genetics, and this is my opinion, when big females are taken out of the system future generations of potentially big walleyes are gone as well.

Replicas retain their color longer and are more durable too.

I agree Doug. I would much rather catch the fish, get good measurements and pics and send it on its way for someone else to catch later on down the river. Not all that more expensive and they last forever.

Every time I look above my computer and see the 31.5" that Artistic Anglers did for me Im glad I went with a replica. No discoloration etc. Well worth it in my book. Better for the resource is the big key.

See ya on the 9th Doug and M.

Might I ask what a replica that size would cost?

Harold in I Falls did mine for $5xx.

The paint job was perfect, and it really captured the color and essence of the fish I released.

I think Harold's is closed now.

Berng

Thanks!!