• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help! Where can I get shiners!?!

Hey all, I'm thinking of hitting up Pelican this Thursday night. But, I would really like to find some shiners. Does anybody know where I can find these or who sells them?

This will be more of "boat wellness" assessment for our upcoming trip to the Big Pond, Mille Lacs next Saturday! My locator situation last time I was out a couple weeks ago was horrendous to say the least. I made some changes and we'll see how that goes - I'm sure something else will be broken - who knows... smile.gif Can't wait!

Hiya -

Lakeland had hatchery golden shiners last weekend. Imagine they'll still have them. Probably get them in Pelican Rapids too at the Park Region station.

Personally, I much prefer redtails, but you should be able to find shiners too...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I have always just used fatheads from Skeels - so, I am new to finding these baitshops. How do I get to Bud's off of highway 10?

Its the bait shop on the east side of Lake Park so go past the bar a few blocks and its on your right, there will be gas pumps out front, on the South Side of highway 10.

We had both shiners and fatheads the other night, and I caught the biggest walleyes of our limit using the smallest fatheads in the bucket. You won't find me shelling out the big cash for redtails when fatheads do as well or better if fished properly.

Heya -

Don't doubt that small fatheads worked pretty well. I usually carry both, and try both. Especially if I'm jigging on a real precise spot, or if fishing's tough because of weather or whatever, fatheads can work better. When they're biting at all though, boy it's hard to beat a 5" redtail. They might tippy-tap a fathead, but they'll absolutely smoke a redtail. I really don't know what it is, but they love the things.

Nobody around Pelican sells the things, and it's been a source of irritation for me for 15 years. I'd drive to Perham or DL to get them, buy a gallon of them, and keep 'em in a horse trough with an aerator.

I absolutely HATE the hatchery raised golden shiners. They're ok in the fall, but I'll use fatheads first. In spring they're next to worthless on some lakes. On one lake I fish a lot, I've fished right next to boats that caught nothing but pike and rock bass while I whacked walleyes, and the only difference was they had hatchery shiners and I had spottails. They get so dialed in on the spottails they won't touch anything else.

cheers,

Rob Kimm

Wouldn't you know it, the day I want to go to Pelican - 35 mph wind!! Typical! Still givin er a shot today though. We'll see

I think the highest quality minnow is more important if you're lindy rigging than if you're jigging, because the minnow then has more freedom of movement, which in the case of a redtail is a Lot more movement. So if it's a lindy bite, then get redtails.