• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any comments?

The Donk

nothing you can do so I didn't have a problem until the last paragraph.....setting themselves up to evetually use gill and trap nets!! mad.gif

I donno, I think they're just setting themselves up for what happened before. We'll see, though. Hopefully it goes ok.

Quote:

See everyone in 10 years when the crappies explode again.

That would mean in four/five years we are going to have three weeks of perfect temps, high water levels along with dead flat calm water with zero wind during crappie spawn again.

Thats what it took last time.

Quote:

Give me my money back for all the fry.

If you look back at the funding of the fry the Red Lake Nation put in a very large chunk themselves, if memory serves me correctly I think they put up more cash then the non reservation side.

I was wondering how long it would take for this topic to come up in discussion, keep it civil and remember two seperate nations with two seprate heritages and beliefs.

Maybe the Band should be applauded for trying hook and line first?

As far a getting our money back for the fry? Everyday all winter and summer I see pickup and fishhouse or pickup and boat combos that cost more then the restocking. $56,000.

If it comes to gillnetting and the bootlegging starts again just remember who is buying the bootlegged fish. White people, many of them sportsman. frown.gif

One thing that may help, is to keep in perspective that the right of the Red Lake Band to Harvest, is not simply based on being Indian, it is instead an Inherited Right/Possesion, of the Decended Relatives of The People, with whom the original Agreement was made.

It is therefore as valid as any Inherited Right, by Anyone is, until such time as the U.S. would decide otherwise.

It remains in force by agreement of the Federal Government of the USA.

It is also completely Independent of the Closed/Open Status of the Lakes, West of "The Line", and therefore the discussion need not open that "Handful of Leeches". ooo.gif

I do not believe that a gross overharvest will be allowed,

as many Agencies are diligently involved, to try and ensure very long term viability, of the Red Lake Fishery.

At $1.75 pound in the round, the Fishermen will have a better reason to sell to the factory than the Public.

I however, hope the Gill Nets will not come into play, but I suspect this will be the only way to reach the Harvest Quotas. frown.gif

Quote:

Quote:

See everyone in 10 years when the crappies explode again.

That would mean in four/five years we are going to have three weeks of perfect temps, high water levels along with dead flat calm water with zero wind during crappie spawn again.

Thats what it took last time.

Quote:

Give me my money back for all the fry.

If you look back at the funding of the fry the Red Lake Nation put in a very large chunk themselves, if memory serves me correctly I think they put up more cash then the non reservation side.

I was wondering how long it would take for this topic to come up in discussion, keep it civil and remember two seperate nations with two seprate heritages and beliefs.

thank you for explaining once again a few of the facts about all of this. far too many people come on here and start yapping and have no idea what the story really is. i dont post very often but i have been on here for 4 or 5 years, and ive read all of the discussions about this subject and it always goes back to the same arguement. i just wish anyone that wants to comment on this subject would do some research.

I posted this because I wanted to see what the general view was of the terms and regs for Indians. I am fine with a 10 fish limit for personal use, I am also fine with the 1.75 per pound fish selling thing, but a guy could actually make a small business around it!

Think about it, if everything goes perfect the average 18" walleye runs at 2.6 lbs, then 50 x 2.6= 130.00, $1.75 per lb, = 227.50!! That is a good 8 hours at 30 dollars an hour!! (roughly) Way to go for the Red lake nation, If I were a part of it I would be out fishing every day...

But Im not

I have no problem with them doing this with resonable means like taking the amount with hook and line.......I am just leary of them going back to gill nets.....

Like anything else "work" gets old. Imagine a cold and windy rainy day when all you would want to do was to stay warm and dry. But,,,,,,, the cupboards getting bare and the kids need shoes again so there you are out on the lake with rain dripping off your nose trying to keep your hands warm on the boat motor. It isn't a big nice boat either, Most likely an 18 foot Lund Alaskan with a 25 horse on the back. There isn't a GPS or depth/fish finder or a big tackle box or a nice rain suit, they are all things that you can not afford. So you sit there shivering in the rain hoping to have a good catch and maybe wondering what it would be like to be one of those white guys across the "Line" with nice boats with all the electronics and a good rain suit AND only fished when they wanted to. confused.gif

I read this post religiously, haven't been to red lake since the early 90's, but find the conversation on here really interesting. With that I would like to add a little Kelly-P's post...

Anyone of us could make money off of a lake, rent houses, guide, rent boats, sell minnows, go fishing and write a book if you would like. Any takers... I didn't think so... It isn't as easy as it always seems.

Weather, cost of gas, basic upkeep of your boat, cost of bait.... How easy is it Jon/Kelly? From what I have read on the board for almost the past 7 years there is nobody on here that would trade jobs with you guys. Why would you want to trade jobs with the people on the other side of the line. Fun for the first week or maybe even two. Then when is 25 MPH winds and raining for the next week and a half how much fun would that be.

kelly,

Based on the numbers remaining for this years quota, do you think that there will be nets out this fall? There would be no way that they could come close to the 775,000 pounds left of their 06-07 quota by hook and line in the next @50 days or so.

It is what it is, and there's noone on this forum that has any say about what happens. In fact the only person that has any amount of control over what the Band does is the President himself (and I'm not so sure of that even).

It seems that they are involving management practices based on the allowable quota set up by both RL DNR and MN DNR. All we can hope is that the current and future Band leaders truly want a long term sustainable harvest that can help out Band members for many years to come, and that they enforce the regulations to the best of their abilities.

That said, i already have my reservations for the first visit of ice season made, and am trying to fit in a fall cast and blast excursion for "chickens" n' pike (and maybe a Rainy river eye or 2!) So if someone could turn off the winds for the last couple weekends in October, I'll see ya up there!

I kind of think along the lines of Xplorer in that the most crucial part of this is where the quota is set. Because lets be honest here, if they don't reach the quota "hook and line" (much more work) the nets will be out until the quota is hit.

I don't think anyone here is saying they want there job or there life. I think the point is there needs to be evolution in life to be a responsible parent and human being. If you don't make enough money to support your family, there are more and better paying jobs out there on either side of the line. And if you can't do anymore yourself, educate your children to make better decisions.

I love to fish Red Lake, and I realize its a hobby. I know there is nothing we can do but educate.

TO Kelly and John I wish you the best because it is your livelyhood that is being gambled on, on the other side of the line.

Quote:

TO Kelly and John I wish you the best because it is your livelyhood that is being gambled on, on the other side of the line.

Funny thing is we appear to be the least concerned about it. Yes if the lake crashes again so do I but I know and understand the Red Lake Nation has many thirty/forty something men and women such as myself the felt the pain of dead lake as I did. That is a lesson one never forgets no matter where you live.

The reservation still faces the same problem we do, poaching and illegal harvest. If we could put a stop to that on both sides this would be a simple problem.

As far as nets again????? I don't know, I hope not as do a big percentage of Red Lake Band members also. Many of them are very concerned about the future of the Red Lakes. To most people reading this Forum Upper Red Lake is a place to go fishing now and then. For most of the Red Lake band members Upper and Lower Red Lakes are a big part of their lives. An everyday part of their lives, they care a great deal about the lake. Remember that back in the late "70's" and early "80's" it was band members from the Ponemah area that were first in raising the alarm about what was happening to the walleyes.

To me it looks like the Band is trying hard to stay away from gillnets. Maybe taking by hook and line will work out. Time will tell. At least they are willing to try something new. I am impressed by the people they have in charge of the reopening of the commercial fisheries. I do not know the DNR Director Allen Pemberton personally but mutual friends are very impressed by him. I know that through my Fathers and Grandfathers years the Pemberton family name has always been respected. Joel Rhodes I do know as he used to be involved in growing wild rice. He is a man of integrity.

I feel that as long as we stay within the Quotas and slots the lake will be OK. We do need to be very watchfull for any bootlegging of walleyes.

I was wrong about the cost of restocking. Getting older and slipping a cog now and then. grin.gif It cost $68,000 per stocking. The Red Lake Band paid $40,000 and the State DNR paid $28,000. There were 3 stockings so we paid $84,000 not the $56,000 I posted. Somehow I forgot 1 stocking??? crazy.gif

Actually Kelly you were still right on as the last stocking came from Red Lake walleye directly from the lake, instead of buying them, lowering the costs associated with that stocking by almost $30,000 dollars...!

See you aren't that old and slipping yet!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

Also, if I read the article right. The Band will HIRE/APPOINT agents to go out and net the remainder of the quota. It will not be a free for all.

With this hook and line fishing is it by set lines or trot lines, multiple rods?

A trotline fishing system is lethal as heck, if there are multiple out of the slot sized fish caught and released what would be the mortality rate be?

Also if this is a set or trot line system leaving the fish over on a hook and line system increases mortality.

Just some thoughts.

I hope they allow them multiple lines but limit it so they are not left unattended.

Hate to say it Labs but we are both slipping a cog. grin.gif There were 3 stockings with fry from Vermillion where the cost was split $40,000 from the Band and $28,000 from the state. Then in 2004 and 2005 the Band operated their hatchery and stocked fry from the Red Lakes paying 100% of the cost.

O.K.... I guess I'm the old-slipping one. grin.gif And I even knew there was 5 stockings too... I guess I just need to learn 'new' math...

Good Luck!

Ken

The way Labs and Kelly are going this fall by winter half my days are going to be spent finding the two old confused guys on the lake. One in a plow truck and the other looking for the labshack. One can't hear the other can't listen and they both agree they are wrong. confused.gifgrin.gif

I can always find my house...! I just look for the trail of parts like bread crumbs!!! grin.gif

See Jonny, now you have somebody else besides Kelly to follow around with your welder!!! tongue.gif

By the way, am I the one who can't listen or can't hear???

Good Luck!

Ken

Whadya say?

Depends on how much you two have had to drink.

I was looking at your shack this morning, we really should rip those tires of the rest of the way and put skids on it since you just drag it around on the frame anyways.

Quote:

Like anything else "work" gets old. Imagine a cold and windy rainy day when all you would want to do was to stay warm and dry. But,,,,,,, the cupboards getting bare and the kids need shoes again so there you are out on the lake with rain dripping off your nose trying to keep your hands warm on the boat motor. It isn't a big nice boat either, Most likely an 18 foot Lund Alaskan with a 25 horse on the back. There isn't a GPS or depth/fish finder or a big tackle box or a nice rain suit, they are all things that you can not afford. So you sit there shivering in the rain hoping to have a good catch and maybe wondering what it would be like to be one of those white guys across the "Line" with nice boats with all the electronics and a good rain suit AND only fished when they wanted to.
confused.gif

With all due respect to you Kelly and to those who are dirt poor (with no food or clothes) that live up there.......

But, if the situation is that bad for some of the people and they are jealous of the "white-man" sitting in the expensive boat.......Then leave the reservation, go to college (with student loans and grants from the government due to little income, and get a part-time job while going to school), and get a job....where they can buy that expensive boat.