Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Guppie_at_Large

west end report

10 posts in this topic

Coming up on Saturday for a week at White Eagle Resort. We are 7 crappie (that's the fish) anglers from Indiana. Several of us have really enjoyed reading the posts on your forum. Wondering what the rain / cold has done to the Walleye fishing on the west end? We are used to small minnows for panfish what should we be using for the Walleye's? Any tip's on location and Depth would be helpful also. Thanks

If we get some stable weather the walleye bite should be excellent by early next week. We had good fishing out of White Eagle for the past week or so, but a couple of cold fronts Sunday/Monday slowed things down. Lindy-rigged rawlers or minnows worked --- think 18-20 foot structure near windswept points during daylight hours, 12-15 foot flats dawn to 8AM or so again after about 6PM.

I left this morning, probably be back up mid-week. Stop over at the "Prairie Schooner" and give me a report if you see my truck there, or my boat (blue over tan Smoker) at the dock. What cabin will you guys be in?

Hans

Thanks for the report. We will be in the Eagles Nest. A couple of us were up to Vermillion/White Eagle 3 years ago and caught everything except Walleye. Definitely our inexperince with walleye was the main factor. Hoping to make up for that this time. I'll look for the Prairie Schooner about mid-week. We have to be out of the cabin friday, sounds like there are big do-in's at White Eagle next weekend

hans is real right about the weather and the walleyes...the outlook looks like the weather will be right for the fish....the crappies are also starting to show up a little.....good luck and set that hook!!

We are coming up 10/10-10/15 and staying in Pike Bay-I am reading Deadheads in that Bay-With the water up can I run this with Bay? Is the water high or normal?

I usual get a week on vermillion every Fall but missed last fall due to work. We will be chasing Crappies and Eyes and I appreciate the reports on here to date. We usually like to fish the Jig/Minnow this time of year for the slow presentation/vertical presentation. Cliff-Are the minnows going to be available at Bait stores that week in your opinion?

Slot-tough to get some in that size?

No problem getting minnows at that time! Fuel and Food in Tower will have anything that you need.

Jigs are my favorite presentation in the fall also!

There are plenty of slot fish and also plenty of keepers available.

The deadheads in Pike Bay will probably all have been towed to shore by the time you arrive.

Water levels are starting to rise fast after the last rain we got.

Cliff

the west end is having some of the best fishing it has had all year...crawlers or minnows ...jig or lindy...a spot or two is hard to catch eating size...should stay that way awhile....i for one dont let turnover affect my fishing at all...they will be biting!!!!

Gary,

Hows the bite going for smallies/Eyes on the West end? Coming up to White Eagle for the Weekend Friday.

Thanks!

i would start looking on the deeper rock piles...they seem to like it there this time of year

Just got back from a few days at the lake. Weather completely unsettled. Fishing was TOUGH! Two noteworthy fish --- a 27" walleye out of 30 feet of water at high noon. A rogue 37" northern caught on a lindy rig walleye fishing off a mid-lake rocky hump!