Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cableguy031

Cray Fish (crawdads

13 posts in this topic

Does any one know where to find several cray fish? I just want them for my tank. Thanks.

Just go to any river or small stream and start turning over rocks....they are easy to find if you look. Use to catch them by the hundreds in Rice Creek in Fridley when I was a kid. I'm sure they are still there......Good luck

Yep, lift some rocks and you'll find crawdads. We use a stick & a bucket or net to catch them. When you see one put the bucket behind it & then poke the stick in front of it. They should scoot backwards right into bucket. Caught thousands this way as a kid in the 70's. Minnehaha Creek is another good option. laugh.gif

When I was a kid I filled many many ice cream buckets full from minnehaha creek.

Is it too late in the season to go find them?

I would think you still have plenty of time. Another way to catch them if you can find a safe creek at night is to throw a slab or chunk of fish out in a quieter pool. Come back about an hour after sundown and you should have at least a few and they are easy to spot with a flashlight.

The St. Croix River straight east of Rush City is absolutely loaded with them this year...I caught 15 or so one day out there.

You can make a "trap" for them pretty simply. A small wood frame maybe 8" long, 4" tall 6" deep. Covered in screen. Cut in a small "door", like a square hole in the screen. Pop in some meat, dead fish etc, put a rock in to keep it down, and you could also put in some hay.

Submerge this near the shore. Racoons might get it. We used to do something like this when I was young and it worked pretty well. We also put dead stuff in a brlap sack, put in rocks and hay, secured the top loosly and made leech traps.

I just wanted several for pets, something different than gold fish. I've had 1 before but when he shed his outter shell, the gold fish killed and ate him. Who knew gold fish would eat something like that?

Thank you for all the good info, I will go hunting for some as soon as the rain stops.

Go swimmin for crays up at mille lacs under rocks if you ever head up there

I 2nd (Contact Us Please) - LOADED!

Check the regs on transferring live bait though

Just lift up the rocks at any metro lakes.... Tons of Cray fish...

You can buy some at Vados Bait Shop in Spring Lake Park. Call ahead and ask for Greg. (763- 784-6728). If they are NOT in stock they can special order some for you.