Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ejfaber

Looking for eyes

20 posts in this topic

confused.gifI am going to be in the Alex area next weekend and I would like to find some eyes. We have been going up to Alex the last 4 years around this time of year. We have had a lot of fun but we cannot find the eyes. Last year we caught a lot of northerns on Carlos but no eyes. If anyone has any info that may help us catch some eyes this year it would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like everyone must be out catching fish instead of reading this forum. I hope that is the case. I am getting excited about this cool weather that we have been having and I hope the fish are too. I think that we will try Chippewa first then head over to carlos. If anyone else has a better idea I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Or maybe, there just isn't much good advice to give this time of year. It should pick up soon with the cool down and as lake start to turn, but up through last weekend anyways, I hadn't seen any Walleyes since the first weekend in August.

I can't help you find'em when I'm having such a tough time myself. frown.gif

Thanks for the reply and I hope that you get a chance to find them.

Do you know what the water temps are around the area?

The were still mid 60's last weekend. Last year the bite really kicked in as the temp approached the low 50's.

Read my post on the Lake Ida? subject. I'd approach other lakes the same.

Ida is getting them on the edge of the weeds for the most part with leechs if you can find them try around the mail island on chip hope you can find them!

I read some where that you could not get leachs up there. I thought someone on this site said that they were out. Is that true?

Thanks for the information. We have a week to go yet so I hope those water temps start to really drop. I would like to see a couple of nice fish agian.

I think you're right. Fetterer's near Glenwood had some about 3 weeks ago, but I think that was his last batch of the season. Any ones that you find now have been sitting in a refrigerator for a month or 2 - which is fine as long as they're alive.

Christopherson Bait in Alex is out. I was in the other day and got my duck stamps and pheasant stamp and they had a big sign up saying leaches were done for the year.

Dose anyone around there use creek chubs? I always read about red tails but I never see any thing about creek chubs. We like to use chubs but I am unsure if we should bring some along if they will not work.

Yea i had some from this past summer otherwise i think a guy in Parkers prairie has some or the guy in miltona might. I know that i'm running out too.

I was talking about the leeches and river chubs i havent used much

Welcome to the Forum Drake! (did you get the jigs I left out for you?)

yea they worked out nice druing the tournament tied for first after the first day but dropped the second to 6th we knew we were going to have to battle.

Anyone do any good this past weekend? I can not wait I only have four days to go.

Is it normal to fish the walleyes that deep? It seems like 35 FOW is deep. We generally like to fish in 15 to 22 FOW but the lakes around here are rather shallow.

Any advice I can get will help.

Thanks

ejfaber were are you thinking of fishing we will be up there this weekend to we are starting on miltona so good luck skinnylee

I haven't been up to Miltona this fall, and have not heard one peep about anything going, but...

If I were to spend some time fishing Miltona, I would use my electronics to look for fish and baitfish from the outside of the weeds in 18-21 feet and continue down to 50 feet and possibly even 60 if you aren't connecting fish.

30-40 feet can be very good, but wind, sun/clouds make everything different. Be flexible and check out all the depths.

The lakes are in a transition with the fall cooling (and now recent warmup) and I think the fish will be more scattered than piled up together somewhere.

But you never know till you try.

I might make it up there too; we'll see how the schedule works out.

You can try redtails, but for the money ($8/doz.) most people I know just use a jig and a fathead.

I will be doing the above.

I believe we will try Chippewa on Saturday. Then it is hard to say. We usually go over to Carlos because we stay at a resort there. This time we do not have reservations so it does not matter where we go. It sounds like lake Ida is the only place that is catching fish so maybe we will give that a try.

Good luck on Miltona, I hope you find them.

Leaving tomorrow at 5:00 so we should be up there around 9:30. I can not wait to hook into some big old fish. Any one have some last minute info for me?

Good luck to any one else this weekend. I will post the results of our trip when I get back. grin.gif