• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Calling all Fisherman!

O.K. Gentleman!

This is truly the time of year you should be on Rainy! It is a time of year in which often calls for raingear, snowmobile suits, gloves and sunscreen. This can all be in the same day. This is also the timeframe in which you can experience some of the most magnificent fishing of the year. Not many joy riders out on the lake now either. Probably not going to see many jet skis. Also a great guys trip as grouse hunting is just around the corner, and with the cool early weather expecting a frost tonight I'd look for the trees to drop leaves earlier than normal. Grouse are at the top of the cycle, bucks are getting territorial, and the ducks are flying. Set your drag, bring your digital camera, and don't forget your warm gear. You have a true chance of a trophy right now! Thanks to the Boys from Chicago the past 3 days! Hope to see you again next year! Oh yeah FYI Jeff if you have a 30 inch walleye on do not reset your drag in the middle of the battle! Ha! Good Fishing! See ya on the lake!

RD

Coming up Thursday, what structure type have been holding the walleyes?, will I have to go to the East end to find active fish?. I'll see you on the water RD.

HEY R.D.,

YOUR RIGHT, THIS NEXT MONTH CAN BE AWESOME...P.T. ASKED WHAT TO USE. WELL FIRST OFF I WILL NOT BE FISHING THE EAST END ANYMORE THIS YEAR, AS WE DON'T NEED TO TRAVEL THAT FAR TO CATCH BIG FISH. I WILL BE CONCENTRATING ON DEPTHS 30 TO 45 FEET FOR WALLEYES, AND ABOUT 30 FEET OF WATER FOR CRAPPIES. FISH FEED LIKE THEIR EATING THEIR LAST MEAL BEFORE GOING TO THE ELECTRIC CHAIR. I WILL BE USING ALOT OF SHINNERS & RAINBOWS, 1/4 TO 3/8 OZ. JIGS & I WILL BE ANCHORED MOST LIKELY...HOPEFULLY AMOUNG ALOT OF SMELT. WHERE THERE ARE SMELT, THERE WILL BE WALLEYES. ONE OF MY GOOD BUDDIES JIM ROLANDO(MR.WALLEYE), WHO IS KIND OF A LEGEND ON RAINY WILL BE FISHING WELL INTO NOVEMBER(OPEN WATER PERMITTING) USING STRICKLY LINDY RIGS & MINNOWS ALWAYS TROLLING. BOTH TECHNIQUES WILL WORK., LOOK FOR WALLEYES ON YOUR DEEPER PARTS OF THE REEFS YOU LIKE TO FISH.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I like to fish deep structure this time of year up to 55 feet of water. With the wind conditions we have been experiencing I like to hold the boat with the big motor backing up slowly into the wind searching for fish. Keep your presentation as verticle as possible. The past several days have tried your best boat handling skills. Yet We're absolutley pounding the big fish. As FM mentions I'm not so hung up on the presention as I am on being on fish. This is still a very vast fishery with plenty of structure not producing. Often times fishing these waters day in and day out I think we forget the endless hours we have spent learning the fishery. Learning the fishery certainly has produced many slow slow days. The eyes will most always be close to the smelt movements. Fish these areas with whatever you feel most comfortable fishing. Seems most all fisherman have there own personal favorite. It is this presentation that will be their own personal best producer. I actually have just been fishing fatheads with a jig and minnow presentation. I also typically have a lindy rig set up to go along with a spinner presentation. Often times you can trigger a few more fish out of the school if you hit them with something different. I actually had to save my boat yesterday afternoon as I had it tied up in Sand bay after 4 days of guiding, and watched the ropes snap on it. I ended up taking it through Sand bay back to my home here on Tilson. Let me tell you I run a Lund Fisherman Magnum, and have pretty much spent my life on the water, but that was a bit spooky. I was taking waves over the front bow and the stern when I would head down a roller. NOT bobber fishing weather I tell ya... Yikes! Glad to have it home save and sound. Wasn't all that sure as a captain that I REALLY wanted to go down with my ship! Ha! Can't wait to get back out! BIG BIG BIG Walleyes! Did I tell you to get up here yet? Good Fishing

RD

For the past several years I have been reading about following the smelt during the fall. Is there anyway to predict smelt location? Do schools of smelt look any different that any other school of bait fish on the depth finder? I am headed to Woody's on the 26th and starting to think alot about presentation and location. I can barely contain myself.

winterse

Hey Winterse,

I do a lot of my guiding through Woody's, so I'm sure we'll run into each other. Maybe I'll be taking you out? Smelt typically like to suspend over deeper haunts. You will be able to pick up markings of them on your electronics if you watch intently. Bring a handful of jigs with a variety of colors and sizes. Rig of some spinner rigs in Chartruesse and hammered gold as well as silver. Also line yourself up some lindy snells around 30 inches. Bring your digital! You'll hae a great time at WOODY'S. My favorite fishing partner and Fiancee is the GM at Woody's. Don't give her too hard of time!

RD

Rainydaze,

I met your fiancee last year when I was up at Woody's. She was extremely gracious and friendly. Congratulations on the engagement. I believe you were still dating last year.

Thank You for the info. I have been learning more about the deep walleye bite the past couple years on Rainy, but haven't had a lot of success other than near the American Narrows. I hope to learn some new spots this year. I am also hoping that there is crankbait bite going on. I enjoy a nice mix of jigging and trolling.

I look forward to meeting you in 2 weeks. We have a guide booked for a haf day on the 26th. Not sur eif it's you, but I guess I'll find out soon.

Fishmeister, I am looking forward to a good Hardees burger and chatting with you again soon.

winterse

Hey Winterse,

You'll be able to crank some eyes that time of year also. I agree that is a nice combination. Check out the fishing Queen on Woody's website for a couple fish caught last night. We caught some nice crappies as well. Biggest crappie going 12.5 inches. Good Fishing!

RD