• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

venison Processing in the metro area

USPENAMC

I agree, do it your self. I worked at Nowthen for 7 years on and off. Started from skinner to cutter and ended at counter sales. I worked at meat market during off season as well. It was fun and I learned alot of stuff I still use to this day.

I have heard most of the people who used to go to Nowthen meats, now go to Dehmer's Meat Market in Alberville.

Good luck!

Sorry, St. Michael, Albertville its all the same to me grin.gif.

Good store though, I have met Mrs. Dehmer and she is a card. Great lady.

I knew someone would come up with the 'do it yourself' line. Unless you've watched it be done, or have someone to help you, or have lots of experience butchering other animals, its a pretty intimidating process. Plus you have to have the facilities to do it. Then theres the warm early season spoilage factor, Uspen is doing the right thing, asking ahead to find some place to take his deer.

But blackjack....how will a person ever learn it the don't give it a try?

I agree it is hard, but "go figure" the internet has a lot of good links and butcher charts showing what part of the deer makes the best steaks, chops, hamburger, etc...

The best thing is if you can get a few friends together to help out. Which means they don't just stare at you and the deer while they drink your beer!

I had good luck with Center Cut meats in Rogers.. I do all my own steaks/chops/roasts but for sausage, brats, jerky.. I take that in.

Quote:

The best thing is if you can get a few friends together to help out. Which means they don't just stare at you and the deer while they drink your beer!

Now that sounds like my hunting crew grin.gif

Quote:

But blackjack....how will a person ever learn it the don't give it a try?

I agree it is hard, but "go figure" the internet has a lot of good links and butcher charts showing what part of the deer makes the best steaks, chops, hamburger, etc...

You're right, theres a first time for everything!!! smile.gifsmile.gif

For years I had taken my deer to butcher shops, then two years ago I got a doe with my bow and got a friend to help me. Went ok, he showed me how to get started, how to burn the hair off the meat, etc. The cutting up got to be kind of a hack job, we didn't end up with much for steaks. Then I went on the internet as you instucted, and also got the Hasslegrave video. That helped but its still not as easy as any of those directions say.

If he can find a few guys to help, especially someone that has done it before, yeah go for it. Otherwise a butcher shop is not a bad option.

Note to Uspen, the basic cutting and wrapping into steaks, burger, and roasts will cost you about $75 but once you start specifying 10 pounds of polish sausage, 15 pounds of jerky, etc your bill will run into some serious $$$ in a hurry!!

hey gents thanks for all the info. Yeah well i do know how how to skin and quarter game we used to do it since we were young with other animals. The only thing i have never really done is combining different meats such as pork and venison. as far as quartering im cool with that. I should have been a bit more clearer. maybe taking some parts of the venison to be grounded or mixed for hamburger, or made into jerky. I would also like to know where to buy the white wrapping paper used in the meat markets for wrapping meat

I have tried Von Hansons meats, from someone elses deer, it was good. I do my own sausage, jerky, burger and steaks. Sometimes I will want something else, if so we bring it to Schmidts in Nicolette.

Blackjack gives good advice. I would see if a friend will let you help with their's if they do their own. That's what I plan on doing soon. They'll welcome the help and you'll learn firsthand. They just may not let you come near the backstraps or tenderloins the first time. grin.gif

What did you end up doing USPENAMC? I saw in another post of yours that you filled a tag on opening day...

This is the guy that does our deer processing every year out of his house. I just dropped some scrap off to grind, and I know he's butchering a deer that a guy just took with a bow. During deer season he brings in a bunch of guys that he cut's meat with and it's an assembly line process.

He's in Elk River. Ron 763-441-4194

With that old of a phone # and the first name, I think I know him!

Has he worked out of his house all the time or did he used to work at a market once?

i ended up doing it myself although i still want to take some meat in and see if they can grind it up and mix it up with something else. or make some sausages, and some other things.