Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawkeye28

Wind on Madison Lake

13 posts in this topic

I am supposed to be making my first trip down to Madison Lake tomorrow to meet my dad for a day of fishing. He is coming up from northern Iowa and I am coming down from Shakopee. He just called and was wondering if the 20 to 30 mph winds that are forecasted for tomorrow are going to impact us. He is not a big fan of battling the waves and what not. My thought is that Madison is small enough it won't get bad but I don't know for sure since I have never fished it. So will it be pretty rough if the wind does hit 30 mphs? Also, are most of the ramps pretty protected if the wind does get bad? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

There are Three landings on Madison. One will be out of the wind.

Regardless of direction, I would recommend either using the DNR landing South and East of The Narrows or Bray Park. As for fishing the wind out there, lots of places to "hide". Good luck!

Most people are not big fans of the wind but it can really turn on the walleyes on madison.

The bigger the chop, the better the bite! smile.gif

We decided to postpone the trip until tomorrow (Thursday). Hopefully we have goodluck. If we find some fish this could be a great lake for my dad and I to meet at. I am open for any pointers. We will most likely target crappies but wouldn't mind catching some walleye.

I was on Tetonka Tuesday morning. All I can say is that it was rough. The wind ran straight down the entire lake. There were 2 little boats hiding out of the wind behind McPete's point when I left at 10-10:30. I hope they waited until the afternoon when the wind dropped some. I loaded and the radio said the wind was gusting at 38 mph. No fish is worth not being safe.

There were 2-3 boats that dropped in and were fishing in front of the hatchery pier in Antl's bay. That was about the only spot out of the wind (and that wind was swirling) besides hiding by Cram's or McPete's.

When the wind is blowing as you said. Try fishing the edge of the chop at Willow point (just north of the landing). Big bass do use that drop off area when big waves are rolling over the shallow bar. The Norhterns will mainly use the slack water near the landing. So you will catch some Norhterns near Willow point but the Bass are there .

My dad and I met at about 8 ok and Reel Fish and Tackle and were on the water by 9. It was a great time, despite being hailed on. We are still learning when it comes to fishing but were able to still put ten nice sized crappies in the livewell while throwing a number back. We also caught a couple of perch along with a couple of blue gills. It was a ton of fun and I think we will be back.

Thanks for the report. Glad you survived the elements.

I'm headed for Reel Fishing and Tackle in a bit myself. laugh.gif

kato/

sounds like your in for a fun tourney low 30's and a 10 mph wind sounds like a great time grin.gif have to make room for your carrharts

And mad bomber hat.

Are you going to be on Jefferson, lucky? Good luck if you are.

I'm gonna have to pass this time around. so good luck on both ends. thinking about trying lura tommorrow but not sure yet.