• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Transition from Field Tips to Broadheads

JacobMHD

I sighted in my new bow at 10, 20, 30, and now 40 yards with field tips. I feel very confident at these ranges. Last night I tried to make the transition to broadheads and found that my arrows are inconsistent and sliding to the left or right. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions for me to try? If it helps, the arrows are coming off the rest and kind of corkscrewing on their way to the target.

First off Welcome to FishingMinnesota/HotSpotoutDoors... Great to have you with us.

It sounds like your bow could be slightly out of tune. Your vanes/feathers can conpensate for field tips, but broadheads catch more air and dont tune up as easy. Try paper tuning your field tips to start... Are you arrows the proper spine for the length arrow and poundage you are shooting?

Thanks for the response. I've followed this site for years now and recently changed my username from "student."

I will try a few things and let you know how it turns out.

LOL Ok... well welcome as your new name then.. LOL...

let us know what you try and works and what didnt. grin.gif

I spoke to someone who thought my broadheads were too heavy for the arrow. Is this a possibility?

Sure it could be, when I went to carbons the broadheads that I was using didn't fly for squat. Went to a smaller profile fixed and they fly like a champ.

Mine shoots everything straight. I use 4blade 100gr muzzy's, a 3 blade el cheapo, and some 100gr expandables. they all test shot straight. I shoot a PSE FireFlite, probly 5 or so years old.