• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

crops

PRFISHER

What do the crops look like in southern MN?

Are they looking like they may come off early this year?

Up here in OT county the corn and beans are way ahead of schedule which should make for a great fall hunting. How are they looking in the appleton ortinville and south areas?

With the dry year through out much of MN you'll see the crops going out way early. By pheasant opener all the soybeans will be out, with a good start on the corn. I actually don't see that as a positive, it just leads to an early season slaughter.

More hunters out on opening weekend because of high pheasant prediction + crops gone = high early season harvest = less birds later in the season frown.giffrown.gif

I should have posted this in the waterfowl, deer, and pheasant forum if there was one.

The last couple of years the corn has still been standing for deer hunting around here, and most of the fall when the ducks are migrating. When these fields are off there is many more oppurtunities for ambush on any one of the big 3 (Deer, ducks, pheasants)

Point taken on the slaughter that may happen on opener.

Will I be out there no, but I will be out during the week after opener. I don't like crowds, but the dog and I sure do like seeing birds, not corn.

Here around Owatonna, I have heard of stock rot issue in the corn. I have even heard some rumors that guys may be taking in some corn before beans. I would guess that if the stock rot progresses enough, the farmers would rather harvest it wet and spend money on drying then have it go down in the field. Beans are progressing ahead of schedule in the area as well. While the dry weather played a part in some areas, the heat units were ahead for most of the growing season.

Soybeans are coming out already. Drought conditions caused early leaf fall and they are way ahead. If things stay dry, the corn will come right out too. It'll be interesting to hear what local moisture content is on corn or beans right now.