Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minnesotashooter

Grouse hunting

7 posts in this topic

I am heading that way in 2 weeks for some walleye fishing and grouse hunting. I hunt pheasants a lot but have never hunted grouse. What kind of chokes should I be bringing and what shotgun loads work best. I will be shooting a Beretta 391 12 gauge. I also have a black lab will she work for grouse or are they more of a pointing dog type of bird. She is an awesome pheasant dog but not sure if I should take her grouse hunting.

At this time of year with the brush still up, I recommend spreading out the shot as much as possible for a quick shot. I hunt with a springer spaniel (flushing dog) and think flushers are good. I have seen different types of flushes. I hunt an area with a lot of wolves, so I see (hear) a lot of wild flushes, so any dog doesn't help much in that case.

I use a short youth model 20 gauge single shot as this gives you much quicker shots and it goes through the brush better. You won't need multiple shot capability as the leaves will be thick enough that you will only get one shot if that. Any dog will help cover more ground. Should have good fishing even if the birds are a little tough because of the leaf on conditions.

Quote:

I am heading that way in 2 weeks for some walleye fishing and grouse hunting. I hunt pheasants a lot but have never hunted grouse. What kind of chokes should I be bringing and what shotgun loads work best. I will be shooting a Beretta 391 12 gauge. I also have a black lab will she work for grouse or are they more of a pointing dog type of bird. She is an awesome pheasant dog but not sure if I should take her grouse hunting.

Take your dog hunting for sure. She will put up way more birds for you than you would on your own. Grouse are harder to hunt than pheasants because you have a very short time to get a good shot at a grouse because the woods are really thick up here.

Everybody on here will tell you something different about using a dog and the type. But I would never leave my most reliable hunter partner at home while I am out hunting.

I have got grouse over flushing and pointing dogs. I use pointers now because you have some time to get ready for the shot. But it takes a lot of work to get a pointer to hold grouse.

As far as shot type I use 1 1/4 ounce 6 shot.(mod choke) But I am hunting grouse in thick woods and only shot at birds on the fly.

Lots of people drive around on dirt roads (or right off the highway) and shot grouse while the bird is standing on the road with its back turned. I dont call that hunting but if you do want to try that a 1 once 8 shot will be sure to blow them away. frown.gif

Grouse numbers are WAY up this year. The birds are everywhere. Me and my 9 year old will be out chasin' em around.

I bring along my browing gold hunter 12 ga. with mod choke.

My son uses a 20 ga.remington 870 youth model with a mod choke.

fg1.jpg

Bring your dog for sure!

I have hunted grouse for years with my flushing Labs.

You will get many more shots at birds and will not lose as many downed birds.

I use a modified or Improved cylinder choke with #7 or #71/2 shot in my 12 ga. early in the season. It usually only takes a couple of b-b to bring down a grouse,(if you can hit them)! grin.gif

Get your gun up as soon as your dog get birdy!

Cliff