• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

need advise guys?

Boar

I hubted last night with a no show, whent in at sunrise to see if he came in at night, he did. I did a bacon burn an sat for three hours to try to bring him back for breakfast, but another no show. Like I figured he's nocturnal. I decided to go back out tonight an pull the bait at sundown, I walked in pretty quiet but not quiet enough i guesse, half thinking he would be on pile, crucial mistake. 3/4 dow the trail I hear a branch brake down by the pile, when I got to the pile, it was open, ate the marshmellows I spead around, 3/4 of the bait was gone an he left liquirce some doughnut crumbs an a handfull of bacon that I had left on top of the logs, which I figured he'd eat first but I guesse not. At first I thought he got full, cause I baited with a good size chunk of beef scrap, dog food, berry lunch, liquirce, ect. but I'm pretty sure I interupted him. Which tells two things, he's not neccesarily nocturnal, but probably has a birds eye view of me when I come an go an when I go to stand. He see's my every move. I feel I can get this bear, he did'nt spook of the pile making making a running back plow to saftey, but he did walk of quickly to snap that branch, I'm gonna let things cool down for a few days an keep up my regular bating routine, thinking on hunting thurday evening, any advise on this? I'm thinking leaving a guy further up the trail an walk out to him to where the bear cant see me any more, giving him the bucket to finish walking out, then inch worm back in an stay on the ground. I'll be using a 44 mag instead of trying to rambo in with a smoke pole. Clearing all debris as i come an go from baiting prior to the hunt. What do you guys think? Boar

I think if your going to go to that trouble, you should have the other guy walk all the way to the bait with you. He can bait while you get on stand. Then he can leave. Make sure your buddy is as scent free as possible, as the bear won't recognise his scent and might be leary of it. Good luck. I've sat for five nights in a row now, here in

Wisconsin. I could have shot a smallish, approx. 150 lbs, bear on Sat night. That is the only bear I've seen so far. If he shows again, he might not be as lucky. wink.gif

I've had him come in an bait while I climb into stand twice, I'm sure the bear is lying just out side site watching my every move, so I dont know if my idea is even logical. It sounds more trouble than it is. Boar

Why don't you try the two in one out method, and or stick another stand up little farther away from the bait where he might not see you.

First of all I have to see if he comes back, Pretty sure he will, I dont think I spooked him that bad. Then I'm gonna have to do the two in one out trick, but not go up in my stand, feel the bear dosent exactly see my every move but has definatley pin pointed my stand an me in it, I've tryed hanging anotehr stand but there was'nt much I could do with that one either. No good spots without cutting shooting lanes an I dont want to disturb the area that much or spend too much time there. I have one small area where I'm gonna hand off the bucket an I have to litterally lye prone on the ground an will have a good clean sniper shot to the site. It's just gonna be a long cold evening an hope I dont get sick with the ground sucking the heat out of me, I have to try an find something to lye on. Sounds like alot of work but not much else I can do I think. Deffinately learned alot this year with stand concelment an placement. Next year I've already got a game plan in mind. Boar

Boar,

A couple of things that might work for you. If you think the bear is watching you and you have someone come in and bait with you then have then walk in a circle around the bait and near by wood area. Maybe withing 20 yards or so. Then they can walk into the bait, leave it and make noise when they leave so the bear will think you are the one actually leaving. This might give you the buffer zone to get in place and finally get to see him.

I tried using the smoke/incense sticks last year for hunting and had a dadny boar come in with those burning. He went past the pit and stood broadside over the smoke and just smelled all in and then went back to the pit to open it up.

You also might try bringing a radio out with you turned on as you approach the stand. This might push the bear out a little bit farther. When your buddy leaves he takes the radio with him still on and as he gets farther away it will quiet down and the bear will know you have gone.

Maybe just tweeking a couple of little things will get the bear to have to come in or have to move just a little farther away to feel comfortable and then once the bear "knows" you have left he will come back in to the new and added smells.

Anything is worth trying now since archery deer and grouse opens this weekend. It will be harder to bag him once the traffic hits the woods.

Good luck

Thanks swamp scooter, those are good ideas, The guy I have coming in with me is pretty green to bear hunting an I know he wont walk in a circle around the bait, he thinks I'm nuts to try an take him from the ground. I have a spot where I'm gonna try an take the shot from, so I'm gonna have him bait an I'll quietly slide in to position an he'll walk out banging the bucket as he gose, I feel Ive condition the bear to look up in the trees for me, so going to the ground an lying prone with a mesh head net, an setting up my gun aimed at the site so it's just aim an shoot, with out having to move it into position, might just work. I'm on our private land an hve only a few family bowhunters on the other end of the property,not much to worry about. I would like to set up a new site near a clearing in the woods, with a new stand better conceald, let this one go dry an do a scent drag to the new site but I dont have that kind of personal time to do that. Thanks again, Boar

Oh yea I baited tonight an he's still there, I've had him going for almost two weeks now, probabely added another 25 lbs to him I hope. boar

Nice boar.

Maybe bring some old camo clothes with you and hang in your stand. The wind will cause them to move around - conditioning the bear to movement.

Dress in similar camo and take down (or use) the camo you had up in the stand.

Good idea, Tonight I baitd an again was hit, the last two weeks the bear has been just taking down one side or the other, leaving half the crib still up, tonight the crib was torn down to the gound, completly demolished. I think I have a new player in town. Which will up the odds in my favor, if a bear comes in tomorrow evening when i hunt I dont know what I will do, if he's a shooter I have to take him after all teh effort I'm going through, but I'm gonna bait heavy an watch his movements an see if he act nervous maybe a bigger bear is soon to come in, what should I look for, I hate to give him too much time, he can step out of my shootin lane real quick. But would love to take a big boy if my assumptions are right, man I wish I had a camera. If it was a bigger bear last night he very well might show first having run off subordenant bear last night. We'll see I guesse. Boar

I guesse what I really think of is being on the ground I dont know where a possible other bear is coming from, hmmmm. Boar

Well put some honey behind your ear and when you feel something wet...

I am going up this weekend - I think with the cold front coming through there might be alot of movement.