Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skunked_again

Duck Hunting???

11 posts in this topic

Hey all...maybe some of you can give me some advice. How is the duck hunting up by Red Lake? Can/should you hunt on the lake? I am thinking about doing a hunting/fishing combo on the duck opener at the end of the month. Any advice would be appreciated!

Kelly and Jonny offer duck hunting or come up on your own and give it a shot. I'm thinking about trying to take a duck with a bow since I took a grouse out of the air last year with my recurve

I'd be careful of that, it's illegal to take waterfowl w/ a bow. Look at the regs

Ya be careful crazy.gif, I think theres a tred barta on this site. grin.gif

Unless your arrows are made of lead, i didn't see any reason that didn't allow you to shoot them with a bow. I haven't tried but it would be fun when you decoy them and they land. I have seen some people try it on tv, he didnt get the goose, but some have got pheasants. From what i found on the dnr website and the summary of fedral regs. there is no problem shooting them with a bow.

Iv'e read and reread the laws and as long as I have my stamps it is totally legal.Either way it should be a hoot.

remember cookie, not all of the laws are in the regulation handbook. talk with tim or one of the other local officers to be sure.

personaly I see it to be a great challenge.

thanks for the invite by the way. we are sticking close to home this weekend and to the (Contact Us Please) next weekend. after that I am wide open. we might even make a mid week venture north, so keep the coffee on. you never know what might come sliding into town on a rainy, crappy, snowy, lovely morning wink.gif

Met the new Co today and everything was ok. The duck hunting was a blast as I let the arrows fly.The guys with guns did well and I came pretty darn close on one shot.Maybe next time.

I'm an avid archer too and would like to know the set up you used to try and shoot ducks with a bow. I'm assuming a recurve? Regular fletched arrows or flu flu arrows? What points were you using? How did you find your arrows? Inquiring minds want to know! I've wanted to do a field type layout hunt for geese with the recurve. I think a guy would have a pretty good chance at getting a goose or two.

A grouse out of the air with a bow? Were you using a pointing dog?

Brian

Hey Brian the dog I was using was a lab. The third grouse he kicked up came right at me. With a carbon flu-flu arrow knocked I was completly ready. I was using a recurve bow with a finger release and no sights as I have always been a good instinctive shooter.

The duck hunting I had four ceder wooden flu-flu arrows with the same recurve and finger release, I was able to find some shell casing from a 38 that worked perfect for blunt tips. The arrows float so after shooting all 4 I had to go out and retrive them. Next year I plan on having a dozen arrows and will check on a different setup for the tips although what I had seemed to work fine.

Thanks for the reply cookie. I used some 1" pink foam, glued a tombstone pizza cardboard to it, got the kid's to throw them for me, and was shooting arial targets yesterday with the recurve. Talk about fun and amazingly I was able to hit them once out of every 4-5 shots. I'm just thinking as hard as ducks are to kill with a shotgun, maybe a guy should put a field point on with one of those wire spring arms that slides down the arrow shaft to prevent pass throughs? I think turkey hunters use this on their arrows. Needless to say, I'm gonna try this before the end of the season. I think mallards hovering above the dekes would be quite do-able. Now a flock of diver's zinging by, may be a different story! grin.gif

Let me know how you do as I'll do the same.

Brian