Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hooksetter

John Deere Engine Problems

9 posts in this topic

I have a little JD riding mower with an 8 hp rear engine. It starts fine and runs fine until a certain point - when it gets warmed up/hot - at which point it stops and won't run again until it cools down. I have checked the fuel line, the carb, and I don't know what to do next.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

My money would be on electrical. I bet when it gets hot the ignition quits working, either due to a bad wire or the points. When it won't start try pulling the plug wire and seeing if there is spark

I will check it out tomorrow moring after I get it HOT. If there is no spark what is the fix?

The fix would be the coil.It may show spark but it could be weak. smirk.gif

I have a smaller (6.5) horsepower push mower that does the exact same thing. If it is possible, slow the rpms down before shutting it off, and then "feather" the shut down. I do it with the safety bar on the mower, you maybe could use the seat safety switch? What I mean by feather, is let it almost die and bring it back just enough to not let it die completly. Do this a few times, finnally let it die. If it starts shortly after, it is a fuel problem. The motor is choking itself out. When you feather it off, it uses enough of the fuel in the carb so it will start again. If you shut it off at WOT it fills the carb with fuel and it will never start, well it will if you pull it (I don't have electric start) about 100 times. When the motor has time to cool down, the fuel in the carb has time to evaporate. My neigbors JD mower does the same thing. Is it a briggs and straton INTEK?

Good Luck

I have a B & S 18 hp intek on my mower that does similar problem sometimes. If I park it after mowing with over 1/3 tank of gas, apparantly the needle and seat/carb float stick or hang partially open because it will really flood - even filling the cylinder with gas (it only does this about 1 out of 3 times). To restart mine I have to pull the spark plugs, spin it over with them out to get rid of the excess gas, replace them, then it will restart. I try to always finish with the tank low - then no problems.

I have a J.D. garden tiller that has the same problem, flooding the engine with gas. I installed a in line shut off purchased from a local parts house in the gas line.

Quote:

I have a little JD riding mower with an 8 hp rear engine. It starts fine and runs fine until a certain point - when it gets warmed up/hot - at which point it stops and won't run again until it cools down. I have checked the fuel line, the carb, and I don't know what to do next.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

You get it figured out let me know. I bet it is a Model 68 grin.gif. I have the same one and same problem. I have given up on trying to figure it out and know it sits in the coner of the garage and collects dust.

I think I have it figured out! By Accident!!

I was wiggling all of the wire connections and one broke off in my hand. I put a new end on it and tightened it back down and magically it has run great since.

I haven't dug deep enough to know where it goes to but it is a wire on the carburator side slightly to the rear of the carb that goes up underneath toward the coil? maybe?

Thanks for the good tips on the thought that maybe it was electrical. In fact I had ordered a new ignition and coil but now I don't need it. I can try to post a picture of the wire if anyone is interested. grin.gif