• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2nd year having a cabin on Little Boy lake. Heard some rumors of wolves being close by. Being from the "city" and not knowing much about wolves I'm just curious if this is really a concern or not? Figured they are leary of people but who knows anymore. We have a 2 year old black lab who wouldn't survive an attack from a Monarch Butterfly, let alone a wolf. Any experience with this or thoughts would be helpful?

Mainly thinking of when I let her out at 10:00 at night for her last potty break....

Thanks again,

NC

Well you wouldnt want to leave it out unleashed some people over here by akeley lost 2 dogs to wolves leary of people is a fars when they hang around where there is people they get use to them ans any thing can go some friends uo north can swear to that also keep your dog on a leash and you should be fine

Wolves or coyotes?

I thought the Wolves habitat was furture north. Have they extended their range this far south?

last winter my mother-in-law saw one on steamboatbay walking across the ice than there was a picture of it in the paper the following week.

Gray/Timber Wolf range is all the way down into Pine County MN, and probably a few into Chisago Cty. MN and Polk Cty. WI. shocked.gif

I've seen wolves as far south as forest lake...I would imagine though that anywhere south of hinckley would be very rare.

I had a VERY close encontour with a wolf on the second weekend of duck hunting in the area last year. We were set up on a small lake in a couple of diffent spots along the shoreline. It was just past legal shooting time in the morning when I had something walk RIGHT behind me. When I say right behind me, I mean it wasn't further than 20 feet from me. I already had ducks right in front of me and didn't want to move as I was waiting for one of my other buddies to start the shooting as it was his first hunt. Well...it moved from right behind me, slowing trotting along, and then stopped almost directly behind me. There was no wind and my camo actually happened to be some scent lock. I figured it was a deer, and never gave it a second thought. It stopped and sniffed me. Yes, I was close enough that I heard not only its breathing, but it actually sniffing my smell. It eventually moved off towards my buddy about 50 yards down the shoreline from me. Well, just a few minutes later I hear a loud splashing in the water right near my buddy. I look over to my right and sure enough there is a timberwolf in the water. We all unload as the ducks start moving everywhere at this point. The wolf darts back into the woods between my friend and I. After the shooting ended and I walked down to my friend, he said the wolf made a jump at a couple of woodducks sitting right in front of him. Pretty scary stuff when you think that they will come THAT close. We were both glad we left our younger dogs in the car that morning until after we shot the ducks.

The wolves in MN have gotten more tolerant of humans in the last few years from what I have witnessed. Up on my cabin on Vermilion, we would rarely see a wolf, and when we did it was always after dark just crossing a road. Now, we see wolves frequently in populated areas during the day, eating road killed deer, not paying any attention to people or cars. My uncle got pretty close to one on his 4 wheeler last year and got off a number of pictures with him cell phone camera from pretty close.

I wouldn't fear for yourself, but I would definetly watch your dogs, especially after dark.

Thanks for all of the input. Just out of curiousity, but is there a certain time of year where one should be more or less worried? I guess I always let my dog run on the property in the summer. Once it got dark and the bugs were too much to handle, we all went inside.

Thanks again for the information.

My neighbors saw one walking across the ice on Wab last winter. That duck hunting post was really interesting and pretty spooky!

Hiya -

Certainly likely wolves are in the area. Interesting thing is when wolves move in, the coyotes usually get out of dodge. Do keep an eye on your dog. For whatever reason, wolves just flat out don't like domestic dogs. Don't know if it's competition with another canine or what, but they will go after pet dogs (sometimes one will lure them out to where the pack is waiting to ambush the dog, from what some friends in wolf country in Alaska tell me), and the pets never come out on top...

Duck hunting story reminded me of when I was guiding in Alaska about 10 years ago. In September, we did combo fishing/duck hunt trips. One week, I had a group of very wealthy Japanese business men. They'd been fishing a couple days, and now wanted to try duck hunting. So we went out on the river, and they sat in the blind while I put out decoys. Behind the blind there was 1/4 mile or so of muskeg, then a thick stand of dwarf willows. It was still dead dark when I finished putting out the dekes, and I was just climbing back into the blind when a pack of wolves started howling in the willows behind us. Very wide eyes, lots of fast talking in Japanese, and I've never seen 3 guys load shotguns so fast. They were flat out terrified. I tried to get them calmed down, but the langauge barrier didn't help much. They spent most of the morning looking over their shoulders at the willows... Never forget the looks on their faces... shocked.gif

I've been going to grand marais for 25+ years, wolves had always lived there in that time but we never seen or heard them...june of '06 we seen our first wolves up there, a pack of about 4 to 6 crossing the gunflint trail...since then we've been up there 4 times and have seen wolves 3 of the 4 times. And now that I think of it, I haven't seen a coyote up there in at least 5 years. However, there seem to be alot more fox up there the last couple years than ever. Is it possible the increase in the beaver population has alot to do with more wolves as well?

No seasons dont matter its just when one comes around. This summer I saw one along Hwy 64 by Kabekona Lake feeding on road kill 10' off the road at 1:00 pm, it did not run when we drove by, And remeber they avoid humans!

We've a place on Hand Lake, and have had timber wolves around in numbers for the last 20 years or so. And I agree with the comment about the brush wolves heading out - I believe they are preyed upon by the timbers due to competition. But, there's alot more critters in the woods now than there was 20 years ago - particularly deer.

I've been in the Outing area all my life, and last year was my first wolf encounter. The dog and I went grouse hunting way back in the bush. I shot a grouse and commanding the dog to fetch when I heard a lot of commotion less than 20 yards away (thick grown clear-cut area). Dog was fetching, I was watching the woods and I saw 2 wolves. One wolf proceeded away and one circled around us to investigate. I held the dog close and with a shotgun in hand I wasn't worried. grin.gif But man, living in this area, Ely, arrowhead...never saw a wild wolfe in all my travels until that day!

Oh, deer hunting was the worst I'd ever seen last year too. Wolfe tracks and poo everywhere. Hardly saw a deer for several full days of hunting.

I've never seen wolf sign close to our residence though. They stay back in the bush minding their business.

My family and I were at the Wolf Center in Ely a few summers back. They have a map posted on the wall showing the home ranges of known MN packs. I have no idea how often they update it, or how often the wolf pack habits change, but there is a pack that ranges as far south as Hinkley along the 35 corridor if memory serves. Our place is on a small lake between Hack and Longville, and it is shown on the southern fringe of another pack's home range. We even had a pack take a deer down out on the ice many years ago. They do seem to visit that area on occasion at least...........

I grew up north of grand rapids about 30 miles, and that is prime wolf country. I've seen several chasing deer across the lake in the winter. I've also seen several in my deer stand, and have often wondered if I'd ever get caught! wink.gif I really hate these nasty critters. I know that every animal has it's place in the wild, but that don't change the fact that they eat a ton of deer. I think I heard one time that a well fed wolf will eat between 60-80 deer in a year? And a good pack of wolves is what, 10-12 animals? That's anywhere from 600-1000 deer in a year! I'm not sure if that's entirely true. Anways, we never did loose a dog, although one of our black labs had a stare down w/ one in our lawn till I fired a shotgun in the air and scared it off

The range of the wolves is farther south than most folks think. There are 3 or 4 packs of them here on Camp Ripley. The have radio collars on them. Couple of years ago, one of the females wolves took off on a road trip. She made it over into Wisconsin, down towards the cities before coming back to Camp Ripley. The DNR keeps a pretty close eye on the wolves here on Ripley and the wolves do travel around the area quite a bit. There are more deer on Camp Ripley than a person can imagine, and the wolves still venture out and about to roam around.

I think the number of deer you "heard" wolves eat is quite overstated, through reserch years ago ( may have changed) a typical wolf kills approx 26 deer. Now that is through controlled studies and may not be typical of wild wolves. And considering the size of a wolves range they have a much smaller inpact on the deer population than one thinks. Example the arrowhead region on Minnesota that now is open to the end of the year for hunting and the great increase in doe tags, more wolves up there than anywhere in the lower 48.

Yes wolves are becoming more tolerant of humans. IMO it is because more and more us humans are infringing on THIER territory, like all animals they must adapt. They are not to fear, but like any animal use caution and common sense when in contact with them, they are wild animals!

fishuhalik, if your no's are correct a single pack of wolves are killing 3 deer a day! highly unlikly. i have been going to the family cabin near bigfork for 35 yrs and i lived north of g.r. for over 2 yrs and i've seen exactly 2 wolves, i'm also a deer hunter and i feel the wolves have more of a right to the deer then you or i do! hunters harvest apprx. 200,000 deer per year, and i wonder how many wounded deer the wolves take care of that hunters leave behind? if i knew that you were shooting wolves tip would be called. i would not be bragging about that. just another way (hunters) get a bad name. mn has had several record harvests the past 10 yrs. i really get tired of (hunters)not getting (their deer) use the wolf excuse. there are more deer today then ever before

NC, I hunt across the road from Wabado lake and have seen alot of wolf sign over the past two years. When there is a fresh snow, tracks are everywhere on the logger trails. One paw print was near the diameter size of a softball.

Last fall, my daughter and I came across a deer downed by a pack, and we spoke with another hunter that weekend that seen a wolf in the morning hours.

The area deer numbers are down, but we still see a few running...

I'd definitely keep an eye on her. In the metro area, some suburbs are having problems with coyotes stalking smaller dogs in the backyard....

I have a place on Thunder Lake. Saw two in the ditch

on County 7 this year and one up by Federal Dam.

They are around. Last year, I let the dogs out at about

10:00pm and one got sprayed by a skunk. That will never

happen again. I worry about skunks more than wolves at night

The wolf population in this area has, in my opinion, grown to a dangerous level. I have seen no less then 10 wolves on the roadsides between Federal Dam, Battle Point all the way to Outing. The scary part, most of these wolves are not frightened away by traffic. They are WAY to comfortable around humans. Mark my words if a regulated wolf season is not established there will be an attack on a human. And if you are unarmed you are no longer at the top of the food chain.

Actually, I think, and alot of other people agree including the DNR, the deer population is at dangerous levels. I think the wolves have maybe just been capitalizing on it.

I've lived in northern minnesota most of my life and I've seen more of a problem with loose semi-wild dogs running around chasing and killing deer (and other domestic dogs and livestock too) than wolves.

Deer are everywhere and the high doe tag counts, numerous bonus tags, and special doe only seasons are just some of the evidence that deer are doing pretty good.

I've heard many people blame the wolves for deer hunting woes and I tend to disagree. I think they keep the herd strong and get rid of the runts cripples. I've had very good success getting nice healthy deer in wolf areas.

Deer and wolves have co-existed for a very long time just fine, just like wolves and caribou, wolves and elk, etc. The only species that seems to wipe other ones off the map is...you guessed it...us.

when the deer #'s up the wolves are up too it is nature's way to balance. just like in our area when the deer #'s down the moose are up. and now when the deer are up the moose are going down. Wolves have a place in nature as do deer. I don't like it when there using my deer hunting area. but whos is it to begain with. I just deal with it and try another area. btw it is very cool to be out camping 4 miles from the nearest road and have a pack of wolves howl at night so loud that you know they are within 100 yrds or so.the dogs were realy nervouse the whole weekend. we also had a bull moose walk down the river within 50ft of the tent. one more week and I will be at that spot again for another duck opener. can't wait

NC2, Have a place between Backus and Longville, Pretty near you. I've seen several wolves in that area just in the time I've been able to spend with 3 weeks vacation time. Some in the woods and some in the open (where you would LEAST expect to see wolves). During the "cold" season (After the H2O is shut off @ the cabin), When I get the nightly "calling", I'll listen for howling, sometimes I answer, I HAVE in the past, started the howling!! THAT'll make the hair on your neck stand up!! As cool as it may be, if they're too close, COMPANY POLICY; Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up. Phred 52

We just spent a 3 day weekend on Little Boy. No success w/ the fish, however I did see quite a few deer. I am no expert on deer, but if I had to say one way or another, there seemed to be plenty running around. Still no wolves, but I'm fine with that as well!

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts. I'm not from N.MN and many of these animals are new to me.

NC2

I go to Rochester,Mn every day for the past 11 years and about 5 or so years ago I saw a dead Wolf on the side of Hwy 52 just north of Rochester.The next week I saw a story in the outdoor news about a Timber

Wolf that was hit by a car found dead on the side of hwy 52. (I think their range is expanding)imo c63

Here is a web site by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, that will tell you pretty much all you want to know about the three variations of wolves in the US, including historical range.

w ww.fws.gov/midwest/WOLF/population/range.htm

If you get permission from the moderators, feel free to set up a direct link.

Previously the Gray Wolf Range covered all of the lower 48, excluding both, a sliver along the Southwest Coastal area, which was favored by the Mexican-Gray Wolf and almost the entire SE 1/4 of the US, which was favored by the Red-Gray Wolf.

So, all of MN-WI was regular Wolf range.

There are recovery programs for the Red Wolf of the Southeast, and the Mexican Gray Wolf(Lobo), of the Southwest, as well as the larger "Timber" version.

Also wolves Territories can vary from 50 square miles to 1000 square miles, depending on scarcity of food, and they may travel 600+ miles in search of new Territory.

Maximum speed 40+ MPH for a short run. 5MPH for near continuous travel.

So it is not surprising that an occasional Wolf is seen most anywhere. However, at this time, regular pack range in MN-WI, is believed to be in the afore-mentioned areas of the previous posts.

Of course with the great interest in Wolves, many have been tame-bred in the past, and sold as pets, and like many large predator-pets, when they become unmanageble, and set free, or escape, they can turn up in the most unusual places. frown.gif

Any idea what time of year the Rochester wolf was found??

Co-worker's husband was bow hunting last Sat afternoon-early evening by the junction of State 84 and County 47 northeast of Backus. Doe came through under his stand. Pretty soon she snorted and took off through ther woods. A little bit later he looks down and there stands a cougar. Not the first sighting by any means in the area. His wife said he left his underwear in the stand.