• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thief Lake conditions

Taken from the Thief lake newsletter from September 2007:

"Those of you that hunted Thief Lake last year know that access was tough – by freezeup the lake was 15” below normal level. Getting boats into the lake was tough in spite of the channel cleanouts that occurred at both the Northeast and Hennings landings. Access this year should be improved – at this writing the lake is about 2-3” below target level, but that still makes the lake 12” deeper than it was at this time last year. In addition, the Moose River landing has been extended. Hunters that camp on the north side of the Moose River will need to make sure that access to the boat launch is not blocked.

Since the end of June, the weather has been very dry here. Weather over the next month will determine whether the lake will be at normal pool or below that level by the time that waterfowl season opens. The improved submersed vegetation in the basin will make it challenging to run motors in places. Bring your push pole and waders, and call ahead if you have questions!

DUCK SEASON AT THIEF LAKE; LAST YEAR IN REVIEW AND PROSPECTS FOR THIS FALL

Those of you who hunted Thief Lake last fall know that it was one of our better duck hunting seasons, but one where access was difficult at times. Low water levels made access a real challenge, in spite of efforts to clean the channels at two of the boat launches. The season-long ducks per hunter per day average was the third highest for Thief Lake since this information has been recorded (starting in 1957). The season-long average bag check was 2.13 ducks per hunter per day. Although low water conditions favored dabbling duck use (and hunters did quite well on teal and pintails at times), divers (mostly ringnecks and scaup) comprised 57% of the bag.

Minnesota’s breeding duck numbers declined again this year. Locally, habitat conditions were good until June rains raised the lake a foot. The result was that local production was affected as some nest sites were flooded. Local nesting Canada geese were affected by extreme cold and snow early in the nesting period, which froze many nests out. Continental populations (particularly those in prairie Canada), however, are improved from last year, with the result that continental fall flight forecasts are up from last year. Duck limits have been increased to 6, and the canvasback season will be open season long with a two-bird limit. During the regular season, Thief Lake is now part of the remainder of state zone for Canada geese, and the season will be 70 days with a two bird bag. The Northwest Goose Zone continues to have the over water prohibition during the September early goose season, but the season has been extended to September 22 (consistent with the remainder of state zone)."

I knew you were wanting to know. I don't remember how I did it, maybe when the DNR guy up there checked us, but there's a way you can sign up to be on the newsletter. You might want to check into it.

Ithink I'll still come up and take my chances as the lake is big enough for every1 to enjoy there wise guy grin.gif

well I'm making my way up an a bout a wk n a half,has any1 been been out? ant info would be a plus. or should I just call up there? thanx

To see the latest condition of Thief Lake and other parts of the state, check out the "Waterfowl Migration Report" on the DNR website found in the Hunting>Waterfowl>Waterfowl Migration Report!

Good info for sure!

Good Luck! grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.