• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon

The Prodigy

I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to where I should do some sturgeon fishing this weekend - I have only fished the rainy and would like to give the st. croix a shot. Any info would help, thanks! -prodigy

I catch and release only if that makes any differance to anyone.

Going for cats, but when useing 2 polls it is always a fun thing to put on some sturgy gear.

A couple of popular spots that I see being fished are as follows.The south tip of the swinging train bridge in the Hudson channel,its a nice deep hole there.Also out in front of the power plant in Bayport.

Hello, I fished the power plant only once. If I remember it is somewhat shallow for a ways out. If I were to shore fish there and target sturgeon....how far out would I have to get to hit the deeper water? Also, Is there a way to shore fish the huidson train bridge? I am very excited to sturgeon fish, but don't have a dang boat! Any tips on locating sturgeon holding water or general tips would be appriciated very much. Thanks....Eric

You would have to walk the train tracks from the wis side but there is a deep hole on the south side out from the first piling at the bridge.You can fish that side with a mn license if your wondering.Dont know if its legal to access that area but ive seen others fishing there ...good luck..

Thanks Guys,

Every little bit helps. If all goes well you'll see a goofy smiling me holding a decent sturgeon like a kid at prom who just got.....kissed. Eric

We didn't get any over 40 inches, but most were between 30-40 inches - they were really fun on light rods with 4lb test! We also caught tons of turtles --- they bit every bait I tried. My buddy even got one on stinkbait.

was out tonight (monday night) and didnt get a thing. small nibbles taking the crawlers away, prolly sheepies, but nothing else. my first time out for sturgeon though and first time fishing the croix in a boat, so rookie rules apply.

• 2 weeks later...

I catch a lot by accident as well all over the Croix while i use worms for catfish and redhorses... There seems to be a lot of sturgeons out on the croix.. however, they are soo small...

Ran into a couple of guys that had pulled in a 30 and a 40 on sunday. Here is my question, what exactly do you do with a sturgeon?

Quote:

Here is my question, what exactly do you do with a sturgeon?

We catch them for fun, the fight is like nothing else.

State law only allows the keeping of 1 sturgeon, per angler, per year so catch & release is the name of the game unless you are only after 1.

I am learning more and more about sturgeon! I think also you have to have tag for the one fish over a certain length.

I have caught 40 or 50 of them in last month. They are smaller, it is a start! Alot of action though!

Here are some pics from the croix!

bcNck3JiQq0K7272Q7fLQe2tzXZz8+hV0300.jpg

32alamEOfGtQNXG3GeeN7Tn-mGW4oT450300.jpg

Here is a flat that snuck in. These are what we were going for, but the sturgy seem to show the most action!

FgPaMqhebIs6YyJ66WQjwoL9W9xs+HYF0300.jpg

My PB to date and hope to get a bigger one soon. Hope to maybe get back out and this weekend!

8Xl3d7i1Xb1v+g7PO43UwTqd2WAyimeN025F.jpg

Sturgeon are VERY good eating. i would compare it to salmon especially smoked. I have got a few legals out of the croix over the years but the are a bit rare. they are a pain to clean and are very messy and usually full of whole shad But the are great eat'in. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...