• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's Pumped

uplander

Whos' pumped about grouse season just arond the corner?????? Not only are they the KING of gamebirds, they are KING of the Crock-pot!!!!! 9 days baby........ just posted the same thing on the waterfowl forum....oops.... now they think I'm taking shots at thier tasty wood ducks.....meant no disrespect just don't fancy the flavor.....And don't say I've never had it cooked right .....A sock would taste good wrapped in bacon!!!

Thanks to work Im missing it. My plans this weekend had to push out to opener so i will be salmon fishing. I would rather be grouse hunting. I'll be hitting plenty of weekends after that. I was driving northern Wi last weekend and came across 2 coveys one evening.

Quote:

A sock would taste good wrapped in bacon!!!

Chew on one of my socks after an 18 hour shift in a boiler room and I'm thinking your response will not be, "YUMMY!!!" grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

A sock would taste good wrapped in bacon!!!

Chew on one of my socks after an 18 hour shift in a boiler room and I'm thinking your response will not be, "YUMMY!!!" grin.gif

I second that. After 12 hours of walking through muck, swamp, and whatever else deer hunting, I don't think my socks are going to taste very good, no matter what you wrap them in!! Plus, they tend to sweat a little easy. tongue.gif

I don't know, I just stirred my crock pot full of dove breasts with the fixins and it smells GOOOOOOOD!

I'm lookin' forward to the grouse season also, however.

Quote:

Not only are they the KING of gamebirds,

Not! Grouse are ok but nothing beats the rush when your dogs tail is flailing away and then a rooster pheasant busts out of some brush cackling!!!

One guy in our deer camp in NW Wisc. shot 70 last year. They say the counts this year are way up! WOW!

I would not get too pumped yet!

Trying to hunt the opener is more frustrating than fun. All the leaves are still on trees and ground vegetation is not dead. Nothing sucks more than hearing flushes and not seeing bird. Give me a couple of weeks into Oct. and then the fun starts. Also depends on were in the state you are at. Far up north, starts earlier. North metro area, one has to wait.

Come on don,t you love the challenge of trying to shoot those baby's in the jungle.....with the sweat dripping and the spiderwebs in your face...and the mosquitos biting..and your hat getting ripped off your head...and your eye watering from the branch that tried to poke it out...and the dog bells ringing..then stopping.. then......the covey flush ..a whole family....two zig when they should of zagged and OH YEAH!!! a double baby! You're missing out on all that if you wait til Oct.......but by all means, wait...I just can't. I have had some of my most memorable hunts and shots early in the season.

Flush em and crush em.. have a great season.... whenever you decide to start!

Uplander

I hear ya on the "can't wait"!

But! I have had some of my most memorable misses during September hunts.

You brought up all the other good points that I had forgot about. grin.gif

I love grouse hunting and can not wait, but I have some boat time left on the water and figure there will be plenty of grouse left. Most of my best grouse hunts occur in late Nov. and early Dec... Ya still sweat, but you do not die.

Good luck though!!!!!

Who doesn't love to shoot at thin air???

If you are on your game & the sweat in your eyes mixed with cobwebs and bark doesn't,throw you off then your winning.

I'll be dew soaked 1st thing in the morning.

HPIM0513.jpg

CK,

Nice pic. man! Brings back good memories!

I like the gun you buddy is holding, Remmington 1100?

I also like your pup/pups!

I wish I had a digi camera before last Feb... I have rolls of undeveloped film with similar grouse shots as yours.

All I have to offer for a pic now is this one. A couple of set of wings I have save for training purposes from my last hunts, last year. Nothing like pics to get a man pumped!

Thanks CK!

yag3q94RL-4qynYBJbknprzS4MZrw75A02C0.jpg

Thanks Shackbash,

Grouse is a blast!One of my favorites.

Snapping that gun up and getting on the bird post haist.

DOH!

Yup he's got the ole 1100.

I've got a 1187 ,but it's too heavy.

HPIM0548.jpg

HPIM0618.jpg

This is my favorite shot of Buck so far.

HPIM0659.jpg

I've got this spot that is loaded with woodcock.

Every year around the 1st of Oct. we hit it and there's more cock than you can shake a stick at plus ruffies.

hey that my 500th post!

Quote:

CK,

I like the gun you buddy is holding, Remmington 1100?

I also like your pup/pups!

Quote:

Yup he's got the ole 1100

Common DUDES! that's a Beretta AL390 .... grin.gif

CK's Dog Buck..... ROCKS ....STUD Dog! Can't imagine how good he'll be this year.

Warming up for GROUSE with some Dove action this morning!... cool.gif

TEMP035Small.jpg

So PB ,you gonna make it for a round or two with Buck this year??

Make sure BD makes it up with Jack too ,eh!

PB,

Agree'd, Buck is a great looking dog. That photo on the deck is something to hang onto. These photo's are geting me excited for pheasant season.

Thanks for sharing the pics guys!

"hooks"

Quote:

So PB ,you gonna make it for a round or two with Buck this year??

Make sure BD makes it up with Jack too ,eh!

Sure hope so....Jack is just a spoiled City Dog now don't thinkk he'll be joining us...DOAH!

Buck is so freaking primed.

Giving the heal on birds now is killing him.

He cry's when we are fishing and a flock flies over.

Something about a dog's timing,he's so not letting me forget it bird time!

I'll be running his (Contact Us Please) off for the next 2 months.

i am really pumped!! went out to check out some coverts and in one i flushed a covey of 10 birds. It was pretty sweet they just kept getting up. Hopefully all this cold weather this week will knock some leaves down!

I will be up on the Gunflint somewhere next weekend (weekend after opener). Hopefully there will be a few birds left up that way. I dont care what I have to walk through, or shoot through. Just getting the dog some work is worth it. Nothing like walking up on an intense point just anticipating that grouse thunder!

Hey Dragon why don't you take Monday off and we can do a day trip!!!!!!!?????And to the guy that called the pheasant the king of game birds! NO WAY!!!!! ..I've hunted both plenty and nothing is more heart stopping, or challenging than old ruffy.....sure pheasanst can give you a thrill too, but ol ruff explodes from his hiding spot and in an instant hits top speed and tries to put as many trees between you and him as he can. You usually have about2.5 seconds to locate beed up and take the shot...trees are a luxury old mr. rooster does usually not have.He also takes a little longer to hit top speed giving the hunter a little more time to compose and make the shot. I do agree it is a rush when a big old rooster breaks cover at your feet and cackles loudly and I do love it, but it is no way as challenging as ol ruffy!!!!! THE KING OF GAME BIRDS!!!! That's not my quote by the way I believe it is the title of a book.....I rest my case...........Maybe

4 more days!!!! good luck and good shooting

Uplander

I was out working my setter yesterday morning and it wasn't 10 minutes before I heard his collar start beeping. He was in some really thick woods so it took awhile before I could actually see him. And sure enough he was locked up on a solid point and then grouse burst up from about 5 feet ahead of him. I barely got a glance of grouse because it was so fast and the woods were very thick. It sure got my blood pumping for this weekend.