• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Archery shop recommendations...NW of the metro

rockman

I haven't picked up a bow in about 30 years,and after rifle hunting for the last 25 years have decided to start bow hunting.For the most part, I am a newbie to archery hunting.I have read quite a bit about getting started,but I need some help to get started.Most info. in print, and suggestions from you folks here is to go to a pro shop. I live near Elk River, so any recommendations for a shop up my way?Driving a bit to go to a good shop is not an issue. I am looking to mostly deer hunt with a bow setup for now. Thanks for any help you folks can give me.

It would be worth the drive to Archery Country in St.Cloud.

There next to Olive Garden and Across from Sportsmans Warehouse.

It would be approx a 1hr plus drive but you could call Cabin Fever in Victoria as they are really helpful. They have a great staff and I'm sure could get you pointed in the right direction. They also have an indoor range for you to try out some different models. With the costs of getting into archery, I would make sure you get pointed in the right direction and end up in a good shop. Jeff, and his archery staff will get that done for you.

http://cabinfeversportinggoods.com/

I agree that Cabin Fever is a fantastic archery shop. Archery Specialties is in Maple Grove also.

When I lived in Elk River I went to a shop in St. Cloud that I really liked. When you get to St. Cloud exit onto 23 like you were heading into town. Go East towards foley it is about a 1/4 mile on your right. They were really go when I went there. I now live in Wyoming and have been going to A1 Archery in Hudson. A1 is the best shop I have been to by far. But that shop described above is pretty good. Another shop to try is Capra's in Blaine but I have have mixed reviews going there.

That shop is Mikes Archery, but they have moved. instead go past 23 to the first light by McDonalds, take a left at the light, and take an immediate right after the gas station. it is up a couple blocks on the left. I just purchased a new bow from mikes this summer, love it and the service.

Mike's is great. They moved now and are along highway 10 just north of the highway 23 overpass. A nice new shop with an indoor range out to 40 yards.

I have bought several bows from Vic @ Archery Country in St Cloud. His son Jake also works there and is one of the best in the business.

Looks like I may be going to St. Cloud in the near future. I appreciate the feedback. I live only 4.5 miles from Cabelas in Rogers, but I am a bit leery to buy there.Too many things for a newbie to consider with a new bow setup, that a good tech in a pro shop should take care of.Thanks again.

I would have to also agree with Archery Country. I went to school with Jake and if there is anyone that knows anything about archery, Jake does. He has been to archery knowledge competitions and placed in the top 5 in the country. They know how to take care of you there. I, personally, am not a big fan of Mike's. To me, it seems like you are just another customer that he wants to make money from. Every time I have been in there, it is hard to get help and they aren't very personable.

I also would go to archery country. I bought a bow there two years ago. and will buy any bow in the future from them. Great service and always there to help with questions and so on

I have been to Mikes, Archery Country, Scheels, Sportsman's, Gander, and Cabelas, looking for bows and info when i was buying them this summer. I think that it depends on who i working and what mood they are in, and how busy they are. The first time i was in Archery country, nobody seemed like they wanted to help me, another time, they had wonderful service and a very knowlegeable and helpful person to help me. Same thing with Sheels, onetime nobody in the archery dept, next time someone was there that was very excited to help everyone, and very knowledgable, i don't think he is there now because i think he said he was leaving for college. Sportsman's doesn't have much of a selection, not that good of help when i was there. I never really went to Gander for anything, mainly because the one in st. clould is pretty small. I am used to the new one in duluth that is a lot bigger. Cabela's was helpful sometimes. i talked to one of the guys there mainly about accessories, he said that he has tried a ton of accessories and knows a lot about them, he was very helpful and gave me some background in the accessories, mostly confirming the decisions that i have already made about the accessories i was going to put on my bow.

Sorry to get long winded, but that is what i noticed earlier this summer in my quest for a new bow.

Also in St. Cloud try Scheels in the Crossroads mall. I know you were afraid of Cabela's, but the Scheel's guys are different. They have some passionate and knowledgable bowhunters. I've had nothing but great service from them.

Afraid of Cabelas???-No,I have spent more than my fair share of cash in that store, in many different areas of hunting and fishing.However,without knowing individual associates and their knowledge of archery, for example,you are at the whim of the situation of a person who may not be that knowledgeable. I don't have cash to throw away on the wrong setup from a guy who really doesn't know what he is doing.It's just a gut feeling I have about that store,that's all.I still have yet to go anywhere, but I will give Scheel's a shot. I have bought and sold a few guns to/from them in the past. Seems like a decent store to do business with.

Does Scheel's have an in store archery range where I can shoot a few offerings they have?It has been awhile since I have been there.I don't remember if they have a range or not. Most of my dealings with them was in their old store, in the main mall.

They do have an indoor range to shoot. I know Charlie, the archery manager at Scheel's, and I don't think he knows Jack about archery and how to assist a customer. Granted Charlie has gone out of his way for me in the past, but getting set up with a new package wouldn't be one of his strong points. My uncle, who has been bowhunting for 40+ years, bought his last bow from Charlie and had nothing but horrible things to say about Scheel's and their archery department. Charlie didn't even know how to put certain accessories on a left handed bow. I'm not trying to be bias, but if you want good, knowledgable service, go to Archery Country and ask for Jake. You won't be disappointed!

Thanks, LakeDocktor, that is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for.No offense to anyone, but 'good service' from a retailer is variable,and relative to the customer, as we all know. A newbie, like myself doen't need any more headache than possible, with learning how to use the equipment, and how to hunt.I guess my decent experiences in Scheel's gun dept. is not neccessarily a true reflection of their archery operation.Thanks again.

Honestly I would just call cabelas and see if Nick is working. He is the manager back there and he was great helping my dad find a new cross bow. It might not be that bad of an idea to talk to two different places anyways. Very knowledgable and all around nice guy.

hartner,I think I am going to have to after spending an hour or so on Archery Country's web store. I have a bit of sticker shock after looking at everything there.What I am I getting myself into.I know,I know,shut up and either cr*p or get off the pot.This thread is getting a bit long anyways.

Rock, looking at the sticker prices on the web store is what they have listed as their MSRP. Archery Country will always work with you to give you the best deal on your new package. If you are looking for a Mathews, you will find the same price everywhere. It is a fixed MSRP and retailers must abide by the set prices to avoid losing their dealership account. Like I said before, if you head up to St Cloud and ask for Jake, he will give you the best price on a package that you will probably find, not to mention the best knowledgable service that you WILL find. Also, like I said before, I am not trying to be bias. I bought my bow this year from Nick at Cabelas. I knew what I wanted and I couldn't beat the price as well as Archery Country didn't have what I wanted at the time. Nick knows what he is talking about and is a great guy to work with, but lets be honest, buying an item from the big retail stores doesn't get you personalized service you would receive from a smaller shop. I met Nick the first time when I purchased my bow. He and I talked for quite some time after the purchase and I thought for sure he wouldn't forget a face after our conversation. Two days later, I went back into the store for some fishing items and a few odds and ends in the archery department. Nick came up to me and asked if I needed assistance with anything and we began talking again where we left off two days prior. He had a very puzzled look on his face as to who I was and asked if I ever purchased anything from the Cabela's archery department before. confused.gif I understand the volume of customers he deals with on a daily basis, but come on, I was made to feel like a "customer for life" without the sincerity to back it up.

There are two good places just north of Elk river. The first one is trails and tails? It's just south of Zimmerman on the east side of the road. Another is Whitecombes which is just north of Princeton on the left side. Either one would be a good choice for local equipment and shooting.

I have never heard of Trails and Tails, but Whitcombs is also a good choice. Andy and Gail really know how to help out a customer. On the downside, they don't really have that much of a selection to choose from. I would highly recommend Whitcombs, just not for someone just getting into bowhunting with a budget in mind.

GO TO Tailes and Trails in Zimmerman... Scott is the ONLY person that will touch my bow!!! He is easy to work with and knows more about bows and shooting than anyone else!!!