Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wallter

Flocking Heads, glue gone. What to do?

13 posts in this topic

Them big foots really used up a lot of glue. What will work for a substitute (black not shiny)? Or where can I buy more?

I've been TOLD you can use flat black spraypaint. Apply flocking before it dries and it sticks, I assume. A little more taping off would be necessary. Maybe paint from a can then also?

Can't say as I've tried it yet.

flat black oil based paint.

Quote:

flat black oil based paint.

That's what I've used. Brush it on real thick and apply the flocking. I did a dozen heads a couple weeks ago and it worked great....

JEV

You guys all put sox over the flocked heads?

Quote:

You guys all put sox over the flocked heads?

every time! definitely worth the extra effort as our flocked heads on our foots show no signs of wear despite a year of heavy hunting

You can buy the glue and the flocking at any major craft store, for alot cheaper than the kits.

Really? I checked both Michael's and JoAnn's in Maple Grove and found none. I even asked for help!

Any idea's on how to contain the mess? I did it over a box but man it was all over everything. The room I was in was covered. Maybe a large DEEP Tub (what?) might work???

I use a large deep plastic tub that collects all of the over "puffing" It is really amazing at how little it uses and how much I can reuse. I use flat black rustoleum oil paint. It works great and actually holds the flocking on better than some companies factory jobs. I ordered mine off the internet and paid about half of what my buddy did at Craft Direct. I have enough to do 100 heads and tails and I paid $24.99, he has about 1/10 as much and paid $20.00. So it pays to shop around when looking for flocking.

I also used flat black rustoleum paint as adhesive. Worked great and absolutely no shine. I tried a ghg kit and wasn't happy. The adhesive that came with the kit was very shiny when it hardened. Any imperfection in the flocking job was really magnified. I used a plastic shoe box size container inside of a large plastic storage tub. Shake the flocking onto the head over the small container inside of the larger tub. Makes it easier to reuse the flocking material and keeps the mess relatively contained. I did mine in the basement last winter. I wouldn't do it indoors again. The fumes and flocking dust was intense. Try the garage on a non windy day.

I bought flocking online and used flat rustoleum paint, like the previous poster. Did 2 dozen and they look great. I dumped the material in a small plastic tub. Made a little mess in my workshop, but less that sanding does. I wouldn't use spray paint...too much time taping and it dries too fast (my opinion). Good luck!

I USED A FLAT BLACK ENAMEL PAINT AND PAINTED ON WITH A BRUSH, THEN APPLIED THE FLOCKING MATERIAL TO THE HEADS WORKED GREAT (FOR GOOSE HEADS)