• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's up with the Sauk?

Stick in Mud

Is the Sauk always this green at the end of summer??? I fished it all spring and early summer, with the water crystal clear. Now it's pea soup...it has been for a few weeks now. Is this just typical for this river this time of year, or is something going on upstream that affects the water clarity and quality? And why is the Sauk so dirty while the Miss is running pretty clear?

OH, and the pike are going nuts now, though the smallies have slowed down a little (due to the water color, no doubt). I was out today and got three big northerns (all the biggest I've ever caught) and a few smallies in a few hundred feet of wading. Then a screw fell out of my reel and it was all over for me. Still, if you can stand the pea green water and not knowing what's on the bottom (watch out for dropoffs if you are wading and don't know the river), you can catch some piggie pike.

Carl

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Very low water levels and warm water. It usually gets green and it's a bit worse this summer.

So the clarity should improve slowly as the water cools?

I sure hope so. I'm excited to get in there for some autumnal smallmouth action...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

So the clarity should improve slowly as the water cools?

I sure hope so. I'm excited to get in there for some autumnal smallmouth action...

Usually does.