• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andrew chadwick

• Catfishunter

• Surface Tension

• Fishstalker

Yeah, Catfishunter and myself talked to a gentleman on the Brule this weekend who said a guy at the campground got a rainbow bout this big, and proceeded to spread his arms approxamately 4 feet apart. He then walked away yelling, "RAINBOW!!!"

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Any update on water levels in the N-Shore rivers?

Thanks Fishstalker, its good to know all that rain didn't just soak up in the ground.

Thats all one should need.

Just got back from work, the rain definetly brought the rivers up, but also blew them out pretty good. If they clear up, fishing should improve in the weeks to come.

I like fishing the rivers when they are running high and muddy. The fish tend to be on the move and more willing to pick up bait. The longer they are in the river the less likely they are to pick up bait. Not to mention is the best time to hit a real chromer grin.gif

I was up on the North Shore on 9/14 and only found pinks in 4 of the rivers. I also found a bunch of coasters. With this rain, they should be in every river now. Please remember that coasters are catch and release only. It would be wonderful if these beautiful fish could make a comeback.

Coasters:

517255.jpg

517257.jpg

517259.jpg

517256.jpg

517258.jpg

Pinks:

517273.jpg

517263.jpg

517262.jpg

Coasters are not catch and release only. They go by the same regulations as brook trout - since that's what they really are.

In 2000 the DNR posted special regulation signs along some tributaries with coasters. Regulations in place since 1997 limit anglers to one brook trout 20 inches or longer from below barrier waterfalls in tributaries.

On the NS tribs you can keep 1 brook trout over 20" from Apr 14 - Sep 3. However, it is these 20" + fish that produce the most eggs. If anybody really want's to see these fish make any sort of comeback, they should release all the brook trout caught below the barriers. There are plenty of other places to catch fish to eat. Why eat an endangered species?

Hey umichjesse is there any way you can email me where you were fishing. I am heading to the NS Sat morning and am looking to find a few good places to fly fish. I am also bring a person who is new the teh sport and would really appreciate a good sence of direction on where to you went to catch the nice fish and what you might have been using. My email is [email protected] Thank you in advace!

Matt

Twin Cities

As of last night the rivers were muddy and had come up to normal levels, but they were not high by any means. I don't know what last nights and todays rain has done but I did catch a king off the beach last night at the lester on the fly rod. Bright silver fish, very cool.

Its nice to see that there are some coasters still around.

Quick strike, what kind of flies do you normaly throw for salmon? Deceivers?

I won't share the names of the rivers but I really don't need to. The pinks will be in any river with enough water. 95% of the fishing is done within a half mile of the lake so it is only a matter of stopping your car and taking a look in the river. If the fish are there, you will see them. If you don't see any, hop in the car and check the next river. The dead give away will be all the cars parked next to the bridge.

Normally I am more willing to give out information, but the north shore tribs are so short that they get over crowded quickly. If it were a longer river like the Brule (Wisc) then I probably would name names.

Believe me, you WILL find pinks, and the exploration will make it that much more satisfying.

I throw decievers, strip leeches, clousers, whistlers, or anything big and flashy. The king I got yesterday hit a pearl flash/orange bunny strip. I also got into some pike out there on a black deciever earlier in the week. All those flies work for lakers as well. I use a floating line with a 7 ft sink tip and it seems to work quite well.

umichjesse, welcome to HSO/FM. Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.

Quote:

I throw decievers, strip leeches, clousers, whistlers, or anything big and flashy. The king I got yesterday hit a pearl flash/orange bunny strip. I also got into some pike out there on a black deciever earlier in the week. All those flies work for lakers as well. I use a floating line with a 7 ft sink tip and it seems to work quite well.

that was you I talked to out there the other day wasnt it? I had just arrived when you were landing a nice pike, and I had forgot my flyrod and was throwing spoons. I think we bumped into each other on the french last spring, some guy came and waded in right between us and started throwing waxies and pissed us off.

beaverslayer, your casting the line not the fly. Just change the delivery system to your spinning outfit. Use the fly but your casting out enough weight to get the fly to drift.

So I wanna cast up stream with a small split shot and let it drift back towards me? I am an inexperienced trout fisherman as you can tell. I come up every spring for the smelt run and do a little rainbow fishing during the day but I still haven't hooked one in the ten years I have been doing it. I'm not doing something right so I will take all the advice you are willing to give. smile.gif

Thanks,

Brian

You want to cast slightly upstream and across and let it drift down. You want just enough weight to have to occasionally tap bottom. When it stops moving set the hook. You will set into leaves, twigs, nothing and of course fish. The bite is a hesitation of your drift, so if it don't feel right set the hook!!!

I haven't fished the rivers in MN. Out west almost everyone "bottom bounces" with a pencil weight and yarn or roe. Does anyone use that technique here?